Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Close Was the Beckett to Texas Trade? Very.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Close Was the Beckett to Texas Trade? Very.

Almost immediately after Daniels moved into a bigger office at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, he was presented with an intriguing offer. Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria approached Hicks at the owners meetings and told him starter Josh Beckett wanted to go back to Texas.

"He gave me the players they wanted," Hicks said. "He was leaving the country and wanted the deal done before then. There wasn't a lot of time."

The Marlins wanted third baseman Hank Blalock and either Thomas Diamond or John Danks for Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell. Florida ended up asking for Danks over Diamond in the package.

"I think Jon got bogged down trying to build a consensus with too many people," Hicks said. "You have to get enough input to make a decision, but he took too long, and the time period for the deal went away."

Hart said Daniels was trying to simply understand his own guys, and the timing was difficult given that it was a big decision so quickly.

"It was trying to balance how much you covet and desire Beckett and not desiring Lowell's money at the time," Hart said. "He was also trying to figure out how the organization felt about Danks. If that happened today, he'd have a complete knowledge of everyone in our system and clearer picture of the economics. I know he wanted to make the deal, but he was being cautious."

Daniels admits that he was slow to pull the trigger. He also didn't understand Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest's style, which is to put his best offer on the table right away. The Marlins ended up dealing with the Red Sox and got Hanley Ramirez as part of the trade.

"I think Jon learned from that," Hicks said. "We all learn from our mistakes, and we all would like some mulligans."

Daniels said every deal is an important learning experience -- good or bad.

"Sometimes you have to experience it to really learn," Daniels said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ard&id=4976186

This is why I believe in God.

Wow
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Hehe Texas, you're bad.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Holy fucking balls

Comment

I feel sick to my stomach just reading that.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X