Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Discussing Mike Lowell

A reunion?

It's a long shot, but don't rule out the Marlins making a late spring play for Mike Lowell, who they traded to the Red Sox in the Ramirez-Beckett deal. Lowell won't appear in his first Grapefruit League game until this weekend. He has to show his surgically repaired thumb and hip are healthy before anyone gives him a sniff, but the Marlins have discussed the possibility internally.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,6578766.story

I am in favor of this move but damn do I feel bad for Gaby Sanchez. I do not like Gaby as much as most, but it must suck to know the organization has zero confidence in you.

Comment

If they pay his entire salary and don't want anyone, maybe.
      poop

Comment

You figure that his salary will be paid. He was on the clearance rack before his thumb fell off.

The way I look at it is this:

I like Lowell's bat in the lineup more than Gaby's. I like Lowell at 3B more than I do Cantu (and yes, I know how much Lowell declined defensively last season). And I certainly like Cantu at 1B more than I do at 3B. So really, unless LoMo or Jiminez set the world on fire in the next week, where's the downside.

Plus, you figure that our offer is Jiminez for Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          If they pay his entire salary and don't want anyone, maybe.
          Define anyone

Comment

Didn't we get Jiminez FROM the Red Sox?
            CSBC Commish

Comment

Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
              Didn't we get Jiminez FROM the Red Sox?
              Rule V.

I assume we would offer him back since he'd go back anyway, we don't have to pay the $25K return fee, and they get a player back from their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                Rule V.

I assume we would offer him back since he'd go back anyway, we don't have to pay the $25K return fee, and they get a player back from their system.
                Hmm, I suppose, just seems weird, but I wouldn't put it past Beinfest to have had that be the plan all along
                CSBC Commish

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                  Define anyone
                  Hunter Jones

Comment

He was in my class

Comment

But seriously, Lowell smashes lefties and Gaby should do the same vs RHP. We're not getting anything we don't have? I agree with Swift. Feel bad for Gaby. He should get a shot before King Morrison arrives.
                      --------------------
                      Also hate to throw a hypothetical out there, but the Rangers wanted him, Smoak is coming fast, and Chris Davis is a whore.

Grab Lowell for whatever, ship him and some relievers/whatever to Texas for Chris Davis to smash vs RHP/stopgap 3B to Dominguez. We need a LEFTY.

Just saying. I'm not huge into Davis, but 400-450 PA, and most of those versus right handers? That's .260/.315/.500 in a worst case scenario, and it gives Gaby 350-400 PA against lefties and some right handers so we can see whats up.

Totally legit. Just saying. I bet he can be had if you give them something tangible and that's a big fucking win to us.
                      Last edited by lou; 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Mike Lowell made his Grapefruit League debut on Monday for the Boston Red Sox and the Marlins were among those with a scout on hand in Fort Myers to see the long-time third-sacker try his mitt at first base for the first time.

Lowell's name has come up in discussions within the Marlins organization, but it's unclear what their interest level is in the former Fish. And there would be a number of issues -- financial and physical being two of the primary ones -- that would need to be resolved before any serious thoughts of a reunion could be put into action.

However, the corner infield situation for the Marlins is not etched in stone. The only certainty is that Jorge Cantu will man one of the two spots. At the moment, the Marlins have him at third, with unproven candidates Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison vying for the job at first. But the Marlins would not hesitate to move Cantu back to first base if, say, they thought Rule 5 pick Jorge Jimenez could handle the job at third, or if they felt uncomfortable going into the season with either Sanchez or Morrison at first. Lowell could provide another, intriguing option (at first and/or third) IF he shows that he's healthy and only IF the Red Sox, in any kind of trade arrangement, agree to absorb the $12 million he's due to make in this, the final year of his contract.

Lowell is coming off offseason thumb surgery and is also dealing with an old hip issue. Despite his immense popularity -- within the Red Sox clubhouse and throughout the Boston community -- the Red Sox have moved on by acquiring Adrian Beltre to play third base. Lowell was nearly traded to the Rangers over the winter before the thumb injury threw a wrench in that deal. The only spot the Red Sox have for Lowell is on their bench. He claims he can still perform every day and would covet a trade that would allow him that opportunity.

Question: Considering the significant issues, which also include Lowell's advancing age (36) and declining range, should the Marlins make a bid to re-acquire their all-time home run leader and return him to his old stomping ground if he proves he's healthy and can still perform?
                        Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz0iIdVfuqg

Comment

I think this could be a big year for us, so why not add another vet that, even at 50%, would probably be more consistent and veterany than the two youngns. My only concern is delaying Morrison's debut, but honestly I think another year won't hurt his development.
                          Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Can we pick up a veteran starting pitcher instead maybe?
                            --------------------
                            Not that I think Lowell will be bad, I just think we need to address the rotation in a much worse way
                            Last edited by McLevin; 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Yeah, if we're going to spend $3 mil, do it for Jarrod Washburn.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X