Hanley Responds Well After Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanley Responds Well After Criticism

Aside from Dwyane Wade, no South Florida athlete had a better 2009 than Hanley Ramirez, who won a National League batting title (.342), hit 24 homers, drove in 106 runs and stole 27 bases. That's why it was surprising when no teammate rose to his defense in September, after Dan Uggla blistered him in front of reporters, accusing Ramirez (who left the previous night's game with a hamstring injury) of lacking desire to win and showing up teammates and dismissing him with a ``Yeah, you got your $70 million!''

As one on-field Marlins official said, Ramirez has ``acted like a baby'' at times in the past and can be moody or stand-offish. Another Marlins person said Uggla's issues with Ramirez reflected sentiment among many players at the time. Even Marlins executive Andre Dawson said in September, ``Hanley is going to have to really do what it takes to be a leader. He hasn't embraced that yet.''

But Ramirez has changed for the better since that Uggla incident, teammates say. Ramirez took the negative perception of him to heart -- he said recently it's important to him to have teammates' respect and is trying to become a leader. ``I am [the face of the franchise],'' he said. ``Everything I do, everybody is looking at me. It makes me do everything the right way.''

Third baseman Wes Helms said recently, ``I have told Hanley 100 times, `You have to lead this team.' '' Now, ``he looks like a guy that wants to. I'm proud of him.''

After the incident with Uggla, ``I saw Hanley cheering for guys more in the dugout and pick guys up who were struggling,'' Helms said. ``He would go up to guys and say, `We have to get it going.' I had never heard him do that before. That, to me, is more important than what he does on the field,'' though fans and management would disagree.

Catcher John Baker said Ramirez ``is starting to grow into being an adult'' and deserves credit for doing ``a fantastic job of calming Leo Nunez down'' on the mound last year. ``One time Hanley told Leo, `Throw Matt Holliday a fastball inside and he'll hit into a double play.' And that's exactly what happened.''

Ramirez, 26, said ``I help the young guys like Cameron Maybin, give them tips. It's a pleasure for me to teach them.''

For fans, what Ramirez does on the field is all that matters. ``People said he couldn't hit third, and then he goes out and wins a batting title,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``Some questioned if he could play shortstop. He cut his errors in half last season.'' (He had 10 after 26, 24 and 22 the previous three.) ``Let's see if I can do less errors,'' Ramirez said. ``I could have hit .370. I can do better.''
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/0...z-focuses.html

This puts a big smile on my face.

Comment

I'm disappointed he said .370 instead of .400

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
        I'm disappointed he said .370 instead of .400
        He's going to say that next year after hitting .370 this year

Comment

What really bugs me is the notion that the team's highest paid player has to be a leader.

We're paying "The Contingency" a hell of a lot more than he's worth to do that. Let Hanley hit, let him do his thing and leave him alone.

Comment

Being a cheerleader > Being awesome

Wes Helms is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
              What really bugs me is the notion that the team's highest paid player has to be a leader.
              That's always bothered me too. No player should ever HAVE to be a leader (possible exception: quarterback of a football team, but I'll debate that until the day I die), especially if it doesn't mesh with the player's personality. You can't force someone with a passive personality to suddenly become this gung-ho vocal leader. It comes across as uber-fake and teammates can read through it.

As long as Hanley (or anyone else) is working hard and not being a negative influence (by bitching about trivial shit, or arguing with other players, etc.) then that should be enough.

Now, if Hanley's being a jackass and pouting, or being lazy, that's different. He shouldn't do that. But just because he's not giving locker room speeches or putting on fundraisers for AIDS-riddled baby seaturtles doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong. If it's not in his personality, don't make him change just because he's got a big contract.

Comment

Right, if you can question his work ethic (and really, in baseball, that shouldn't be an issue unless you're a pitcher or catcher or you pull a Nomar and ask out of the biggest series of the year) then fine, go after him, but baseball is a team game in the sense that you need depth. One teammate doesn't make the other "better" like you can in, say, hockey.

Comment

he shouldve said 1.000
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I agree not everyone is born a leader or made out to be a leader, but like Hanley said he is the face of the franchise and what he does has a lot of effect on the people around him. Will Hanley become the ultimate team player, I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to work on it and just lead by example and the way he goes about himself.

Comment

People (not anyone on this board necessarily) also forget that Hanley leads simply by being a beast. People naturally follow greatness down whatever path it leads them.

Not everyone is a motivational speaker in cleats.

I don't know how to fix the computers at work or repair the engine on my police car but that's not what they pay me for.

I know that was a gay comparison but Hanley gets paid to mash the baseball for 6 months a year and that's exactly what he does.

Comment

Well, when you live eat sleep and travel with a group for basically 8 months of the year, you expect some of the players to serve multiple purposes and that may include being a leader, so I understand that they're assuming it's part of the job description. I don't agree with it, but I do think that's part of the argument in favor of him being asked to be a "leader."

Comment

Working...
                        X