X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins 2010 Salaries

Here's a look at some of the 2010 Marlins salaries, plus bonuses:

* Dan Uggla: $7.8 million
    * Hanley Ramirez: $7 million. Bonuses: $50,000 (All-Star), $500,000 (MVP), $1 million (WS MVP), $250,000 (LCS MVP)
    * Ricky Nolasco: $3.8 million
    * Josh Johnson: $3.75 million. Bonuses: $50,000 (All-Star), $500,000 (Cy Young), $1 million (WS MVP), $250,000 (LCS MVP)
    * Jorge Cantu: $6 million. Bonuses: $50,000 (650 plate appearances)
    * Cody Ross: $4.45 million
    * Leo Nunez: $2 million
    * Anibal Sanchez: $1.25 million. Bonuses: Up to $100,000
    * Ronny Paulino: $1.1 million
    * Renyel Pinto: $1.075 million
    * Wes Helms: $950,000
    * Seth McClung: (Minor League deal) $800,000 if he makes team. Bonuses: Up to $50,000
    * Mike MacDougal: (Minor League deal) $700,000 if he makes team. Bonuses: Up to $75,000
    * Derrick Turnbow: (Minor League deal) $600,000 if he makes team. Bonuses: Up to $50,000
    * Chris Coghlan: $450,000
    * Taylor Tankersley: $425,000. Bonuses: Up to $75,000
    * Clay Hensley: (Minor League deal) $425,000 if he makes club
    * Chris Volstad: $420,000
    * John Baker: $415,000
    * Brian Barden: (Minor League deal) $415,000 if he makes club
    * Danny Richar: (Minor League deal) $410,000 if he makes club
    * Cameron Maybin: $405,000
    * Brett Carroll: $403,000
    * Tim Wood: $402,000
    * Chris Leroux: $401,000
    * Ryan Tucker: $400,000
    * Jai Miller: $400,000
    All Marlins now under contract

Love Cogs @ 450K

Comment

For Hanley and JJ are those team issued bonuses or league standard for long term contracts?

Comment

That is a really nice tender for Coghlan. You have to applaud them for that.

And the team negotiates bonuses. There is no league guideline or anything. The Marlins probably just use that as their baseline and it's competitive so agents agree to those amounts.
        --------------------
        Assuming no free agents make the club

C John Baker $415,000
        1B Gaby Sanchez $400,000
        2B Dan Uggla $7,800,000
        3B Jorge Cantu $6,000,000
        SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000
        LF Chris Coghlan $450,000
        CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
        RF Cody Ross $4,450,000
        B Emilio Bonifacio $400,000
        B Wes Helms $950,000
        B Ronny Paulino $1,100,000
        B Brett Carroll $403,000
        B Jorge Jimenez $400,000

SP Josh Johnson $3,750,000
        SP Ricky Nolasco $3,800,000
        SP Andrew Miller $1,970,000*
        SP Chris Volstad $420,000
        SP Sean West $400,000
        RP Leo Nunez $2,000,000
        RP Dan Meyer $400,000
        RP Brian Sanches $400,000
        RP Reynel Pinto $1,075,000
        RP Burke Badenhop $400,000
        RP Rick Vanden Hurk $400,000
        RP Anibal Sanchez $1,250,000

$46,438,000

*Could be $150-200,000 less based on confusion over 2009 salary amounts
        Last edited by lou; 03-02-2010, 11:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Turns out Chris Coghlan made out better on his contract than was first reported. Instead of the $450,000 figure that was reported Tuesday, the Marlins will pay their National League Rookie of the Year winner $475,000 this season.
          Let the games begin

Comment

That tender is buying goodwill to a buyout.

Comment

If he's putting up an .800 OPS by the ASB, lock him up.
              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                If he's putting up an .800 OPS by the ASB, lock him up.
                And you're committed to move him to 2B

Comment

Absolutely.
                  poop

Comment

I think in a perfect world, the Marlins would love to give Ricky a 3-4 year buyout/some FA years contract, Coghlan a 4-5 year contract + 1 option year, and Volstad a 3 year deal + 1 option year. Also, of all people I could see them giving Baker a very small 3 year tender if he's good after this year, just to lock him down a little cheaper for 2012 and 2013. Because I mean, even a worst case scenario with him, is a good backup. And his price would be worth that in that event. Very low risk, easy cost savings to that one. I don't see them doing that with the relievers. They will continue to year to year them, unless a reliever-ace develops.

Comment

And money spent on the bullpen will got to an overpriced, overvalued, overrated RP because he has "closer experience"

Comment

The key to bullpen spending is to develop one like Minnesota; 1 talented and remarkably consistent pitcher complimented by live arms on club controlled salaries traded for fresh live arms on club controlled salaries once other teams decide those set up relievers are as good as it gets (kind of like we were duped into with Mota, but LA got crap too aside from Penny, so everyone lost that one).

The question is, given what the Twins have been able to do with Joe Nathan, Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau as their cornerstones and not the rotation (well, yes, Santana, but there here now without him or anything even resembling a super-duper ace...Scott Baker? Really?) at what does a small market team say dammit, developing and buying out a club controlled "super-closer" who can give you 70ish appearances makes more sense than trying to develop a club controlled ace who will give you 30 or so starts and absolutely positively won't compromise on his going rate unless you take a huge risk and buy him out a year too early to be absolutely certain about what you're getting.

Comment

Joe Nathan's practically don't exist, though.

I mean, you're talking about consistent dominance that has been equaled by what 4 closers in the game (Mo, Papelbon, Nathan, K-Rod (Maybe?))?

That strategy would be chasing odds you could never possibly catch. You're going to end up with Jose Valverde long term more often than not.

Relief pitchers are not consistent enough to justify that kind of commitment.
                          poop

Comment

Minnesota has given 2-3 year contracts to guys like Jesse Crain, J.C. Romero, Juan Rincon (albeit, some of them like Rincon's was for $1.1 million total with a $.4-$.7 two year first arbitration year deal), and taken others like LaTroy Hawkins and Matt Guerrier into multiple years of arbitration. I wouldn't say it's Nathan and all CC salaries. I seem to think their goal is an Ace-Reliever, 2 younger guys on a buyout, a veteran (Mulholland, Dickey, Ayala, etc), and then 3 club controlled guys with options to move up and down based on performance. I think that's a perfect set up actually. They've nailed it.

As per, when it becomes cost effective to buy a super closer... Here's a hypothetical 2011 Marlins team

C John Baker $420,000
                            1B Logan Morrison $415,000
                            2B Chris Coghlan $500,000
                            3B Mike Lowell/Brandon Inge $3,000,000 <- 1 year free agent contract
                            SS Hanley Ramirez $11,000,000
                            LF Bryan Petersen $410,000
                            CF Cameron Maybin $420,000
                            RF Mike Stanton $410,000
                            B Emilio Bonifacio $430,000
                            B Gaby Sanchez $420,000
                            B Jorge Jimenez $420,000
                            B Ronny Paulino $2,000,000
                            B Scott Cousins $410,000

SP Josh Johnson $7,750,000
                            SP Ricky Nolasco $6,000,000
                            SP Chris Volstad $430,000
                            SP Sean West $420,000
                            SP Miller/Anibal $3,000,000
                            RP Super Closer $10,000,000 < - Bam
                            RP Ryan Tucker $420,000
                            RP Jose Ceda $420,000
                            RP Chris Leroux $420,000
                            RP Dan Meyer $430,000
                            RP Rick Vanden Hurk $430,000
                            RP Dan Jennings $420,000

$50,395,000

I mean, it's not unrealistic to think the starters can all hold their own to some level where it's not cost effective to replace them with a veteran (who would need a multi year deal and that doesn't work for our longterm), and likewise to not spend huge money on the field because straight down that line are high potential young guys. That could work. Just saying.

I'm not advocating this, just saying that's a situation where I see a small market team going big with a reliever could work out. The best idea for a $50ish payroll would be to keep Cody/Nunez for the combined $10 million, trade Uggla/Pinto for pitching, take the draft pick compensation for Cantu, and sign that 1 year FA to bridge the gap to Dominguez. But if they wanted to go big with a reliever ace, they could based on the huge quantity of CC players around.
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                            Joe Nathan's practically don't exist, though.

I mean, you're talking about consistent dominance that has been equaled by what 4 closers in the game (Mo, Papelbon, Nathan, K-Rod (Maybe?))?

That strategy would be chasing odds you could never possibly catch. You're going to end up with Jose Valverde long term more often than not.

Relief pitchers are not consistent enough to justify that kind of commitment.
                            Yea but if you look at the track record of RP now, they are going to get a 2-3 year deal for $7-10 million a year. Gone are the days where Nathan gets 4/$47 with a $12.5 million option. And if someone gets that much, like you side 4 closers in baseball deserve that and the odds we would ever get one are slim.

I like how you bring up Valverde, because I kind of love Valverde for 2/$14, if you're payroll is over the $75 million threshold so you can absorb that "luxury 70 innings."
                            Last edited by lou; 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm not saying Valverde is a bad option, but I'm not sure he's the dominant closer that Nathan is. You can't build a bullpen around a Jose Valverde. There are way more Valverde's than Joe Nathan's.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X