No announcement yet.

2010 Spring Training Rotation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand...JCR already basically said Volstad was in when he said the last spot was down to Hensley or Miller. right?
    --------------------
    nevermind, ya you are doin some overkill. volstad is in.
    Last edited by Jewbility; 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

• Guys, I heard a rumor...Volstad is IN the rotation.

Repeat, Volstad is IN the rotation.
      --------------------
      I also heard something about 8 hits in 4 innings today, but that is still, as of yet, unsubstantiated.
      Last edited by Swifty; 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Volstad gon be 4th in the rotation, ahead of 5th in the rotation
        --------------------
        At least Joecap didn't respond with YOU'RE A FUCKIN GENIUS!
        Last edited by Beef; 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Does that mean they will rotate the pitcher that starts the game, and he will be one of the ones they rotate to?

Comment

• I do not follow, but Vandenhurk is likely not going to be a member of the rotation. He may be a relief pitcher or in the minors. We cannot know for sure until VCR tells us

Comment

• Victor Carlos Ruiz?

Comment

• so he isn't quite volsdud but not quite volstud either

Comment

• Hey guys...

Spoiler:
                  Volstad gon be in the rotation.

Comment

• I had to tweet it to alert our followers.

Comment

• You guys are hilarious.

But, I'll roll with it.

After five weeks of evaluating, the Marlins are close to finalizing their rotation.
                      Manager Fredi Gonzalez noted that by the end of the week -- perhaps Sunday -- the team may be ready to make an announcement. Gonzalez added he would like to set his starting staff before the middle of next week.
                      Based on how he threw against the Red Sox on Thursday, Chris Volstad is on the brink of securing a spot.
                      The 23-year-old right-hander from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., pounded the strike zone with sinkers. His velocity repeatedly was at 94 mph, consistently his highest of Spring Training.
                      Although he was on the losing end of a 6-4 decision, Volstad gave up four runs (one earned) on eight hits with no walks and three strikeouts. No walks was a key.
                      "He did OK," Gonzalez said. "The ball was down. He left some balls up in the strike zone and they hit it. That's a pretty good lineup. But I thought that was a continuation of his last start. The numbers don't show it, but I thought it was a continuation."
                      In most of his previous outings, Volstad's velocity was in the 91-92 mph range, with an occasional 94.
                      On Saturday against the Nationals in Viera, Fla., Volstad allowed one run six hits in five innings on a day his sinker was moving down.
                      "You saw the movement and you saw the ball down in the strike zone," Gonzalez said. "Zero walks. That's a big zero in that column. That is good."
                      From the first day camp opened, Gonzalez preached the importance of throwing strikes. Volstad did that. Of his 81 pitches over 4 1/3 innings, 50 were strikes.
                      2010 Spring Training - Florida Marlins
                      News & Features
                      Uggla's homer can't pick up Volstad
                      Inbox: What if Maybin struggles?
                      Injuries interrupting Ross' prep time
                      Ground ball Anibal's best friend
                      Sanchez posts quality start in Marlins' loss
                      Sights & Sounds
                      Marlins should compete in 2010
                      Marlins' position battles
                      Marlins' six-run first
                      Spring Training Info
                      ScheduleBallparkTickets
                      "It's something you've been preaching since I've been here," Gonzalez said. "If they read the paper, that's something we've been talking about every other day -- the WHIP. Maybe now you'll start seeing guys."
                      WHIP -- walks/hits per innings pitched -- is a statistic the Marlins have been stressing. In Volstad's past 9 1/3 innings, he's walked two.
                      In his past two starts, Volstad has gone back to his bread-and-butter pitch, his sinker. Earlier in camp, he was tinkering with a slider.
                      "I feel like I'm back to myself the last two starts. My sinker is down, moving," Volstad said. "I'm getting it in on righties, getting ground balls. It's me again."
                      Marlins close to finalizing rotation
                      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-25-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• 2010 Chris Volstad Thread
                        --------------------
                        2010 mba thread
                        --------------------
                        Chris Volstad had a solid if unspectacular outing in the 6-4 loss to the Red Sox. He went 4 1/3 innings, allowing four runs (one earned) on eight hits, no walks and three strikeouts. Red Sox hitters were driving a lot of his pitches to the outfield. Not as many ground balls as he induced his last time out in Viera, but Volstad is going in the right direction.
                        My turn!
                        Chris Volstad had a solid if unspectacular outing in the 6-4 loss to the Red Sox. He went 4 1/3 innings, allowing four runs (one earned) on eight hits, no walks and three strikeouts. Red Sox hitters were driving a lot of his pitches to the outfield. Not as many ground balls as he induced his last time out in Viera, but Volstad is going in the right direction.
                        Last edited by McLevin; 03-25-2010, 06:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• so word up here in the New York area is that Chris Volstad shall be in the rotation

or is this just rumors being made up by the rumor mongers?

Comment

• Originally posted by McLevin View Post
                            2010 Chris Volstad Thread
                            --------------------
                            2010 mba thread
                            --------------------

My turn!
                            I could be wrong, but I believe what she was bolding were the changes made to JCR's story as originally posted, which make it sound more positive.

I think you misinterpreted.
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              so word up here in the New York area is that Chris Volstad shall be in the rotation

or is this just rumors being made up by the rumor mongers?
                              If it's on the site's Twitter it is fact.

Comment

• I'm all for it when she warrants it but I don't get the big deal about this. This is a thread about the rotation, she is reporting about the rotation. Call her out for the double standards sure, but this is just reporting what's going on. Is there more of a focus on Volstad? Sure. So what? It's not a hinderence.

Comment

Working...
                                X