Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sense a tongue in a cheek somewheres

Comment

• Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco were always in the rotation. Anibal Sanchez is now in. That leaves two openings. Based on everything I've seen and heard, Hensley and Chris Volstad are the frontrunners for the other two spots, with Miller, Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn looking like the odd men out at the moment. Penn, who is out of options, hurt his chances with Sunday's rough outing when he gave up four runs on five hits and a pair of walks in just 1 2/3 innings. VandenHurk threw four scoreless innings on Sunday. But it was done in near anonymity, in a minor league game on one of the back fields as the Marlins were playing the Nationals inside the stadium. That manager Fredi Gonzalez and front office wizards Larry Beinfest and Mike Hill watched Penn and Johnson pitch in the regular game against Washington probably doesn't bode well for VandenHurk (0-1, 6.23). Miller (1-0, 10.80) has not exactly had a great spring and looks likely for New Orleans.

Hensley, who has has been the biggest surprise of the spring for the Marlins, has pitched 10 1/3 innings without allowing a run. Hensley has given up just four hits and, while other members of the staff have battled control issues, he has not issued any walks. Contrast that with Miller (eight walks in 7 2/3 innings) and VandenHurk (four walks in 8 2/3 innings). Even Volstad (7BB/12 1/3), Sanchez (8BB/13 1/3) and Johnson (6BB/12 1/3) have had their problems. Hensley and Nolasco (0 BB/12 IP) have not.
      No "Off Day" for Miller, Hensley

So, Spencer thinks the rotation is JJ, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad and Hensley (based on the current rotation schedule of when they're pitching).
      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-24-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Fine with me

Comment

• That'll do

Comment

• I think I like it, too. I still have some reservations about Hensley but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just not sure I'd put the two sinkerballers back to back in the rotation. It might be better to put Anibal in between them to break that up.

Comment

• joecapMARLINS: Ken re-affirms what Fredi told reporters last wk RT @Ken_Rosenthal RHP Clay Hensley inside track to be #Marlins' No. 5 starter.
              Looks like Rosenthal agrees with Clark Spencer.

Comment

• I think Ken Rosenthal just repeats what he reads in local newspapers

Comment

• Right-hander Clay Hensley, a non-roster invitee who’s battling for a rotation spot, will start Saturday in Jupiter against the Cardinals.

Left-hander Andrew Miller will pitch Saturday in a minor league game.

Anibal Sanchez will start Wednesday against the Twins… Chris Volstad goes Thursday against the Tim Wakefield and the Red Sox… Josh Johnson goes Friday in Jupiter against Nelson Figueroa and the Mets.
                  Spring cleaning for Florida Marlins’ Ricky Nolasco: zero walks, 21 strikeouts in 20 innings
                  --------------------
                  Sort of related:

Gonzalez said Friday Rick VandenHurk, Hayden Penn and Clay Hensley also would be [bullpen] candidates if they don't make the rotation. Other releivers still in the mix include Scott Strickland, Chris Leroux and Tim Wood.
                  Marlins make moves in bullpen
                  Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• How big is Thursday’s outing for pitcher Chris Volstad?

The right-hander from Palm Beach Gardens may have saved his spot in the rotation with his last game (6 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts in 5 innings vs. the Nationals), and could go a long way toward cementing it with a strong performance today against the Red Sox in Fort Myers.

“He needs to continue to do what he did against Washington, and that’s throw his sinker down in the strike zone and stick with that pitch,” catcher John Baker said. “That’s what we did in 2008 when he got in trouble. He threw the ball in the middle of the plate and down. … and trusted his ability.”

Volstad has pitched 12.1 innings this spring with a 6.57 ERA. Opponents are hitting a whopping .380 against him.

But the signs were there against Washington, recording nine ground ball outs compared to two fly outs and getting three double play grounders.

Where does that leave Rick VandenHurk?

That is yet to be determined but it is not a good sign for the big right-hander from the Netherlands that he is following Volstad today and probably will pitch three innings, at the most.

VandenHurk at one time was considered a top candidate for one of the final rotation spots. He started strong this spring but was hammered by the Nationals in his last appearance, giving up six earned runs on nine hits and two walks in 3.2 innings.

Now, it appears that the best he can hope for is a long-relief/spot starter spot, one that Burke Badenhop held last season.
                    Florida Marlins talking points: Volstad looking to overcome slow start, win rotation spot

VandenHurk is suppose to follow Volstad tomorrow and Volstad is supposed to go 6 innings? Like the article said, that doesn't sound good for VandenHurk. Neither does the fact that Vandy has only started one game against the major league teams this spring. Looks like the rotation will be JJ, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad and Hensley.
                    --------------------
                    Also, judging by JCR's game preview, Chris Leroux is also scheduled to pitch. Sounds like they're trying Vandy as a relief pitcher.
                    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Chris Volstad had an unspectacular outing. He went 4 1/3 innings, allowing four runs (one earned) on eight hits, no walks and three strikeouts. Red Sox were driving a lot of his pitches to the outfield. Not a ton of ground balls like he induced his last time out in Viera.

** Rick VandenHurk followed and allowed two runs on four hits with a walk and two strikeouts over 1 2/3 innings. The fact that the Marlins aren’t stretching him out makes me think he’s no longer a candidate for the rotation. That last spot might come down to Clay Hensley and Andrew Miller. Both pitchers will throw Saturday, Hensley against the Cardinals and Miller in a minor league game.
                      http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ontent=Twitter

Comment

• That "last spot" comment makes it sound like Volstad in is the rotation. Apparently from another article, Fredi wants the rotation decided this weekend.

Here's the quote.

With only eight Grapefruit League games left and time winding down this spring, manager Fredi Gonzalez said Thursday morning he'd like to have the two remaining openings in his starting rotation "cleared up" by the end of the week.
                        Important starts for Volstad, Hensley loom
                        Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• I asked Joe Cappozi if today's outings meant that VandenHurk was out of the rotation and Volstad was in. Here's his response.

joecapMARLINS: @mbaamin08 Wise assessment on your part!

Comment

• MBA is going to take every opportunity to point out Volstad is in the rotation.

Comment

• Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so. JCR has edited his post that FishFF posted 4 posts up. This one spins Volstad's outing in a more positive light.

Chris Volstad had a solid if unspectacular outing in the 6-4 loss to the Red Sox. He went 4 1/3 innings, allowing four runs (one earned) on eight hits, no walks and three strikeouts. Red Sox hitters were driving a lot of his pitches to the outfield. Not as many ground balls as he induced his last time out in Viera, but Volstad is going in the right direction.
                              Same link as four posts up. I bolded the new parts.
                              Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Why not bold the part about hitters driving his balls to the outfield?

*wink*
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X