2010 Spring Training Rotation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
    But Volstad has not completely sucked this spring or have his last two outings where he had a bad inning in one and was working on a new pitch in the other made you forget that he had a very good first start against the Mets?

And, if you are just looking at this spring and this spring alone, do you really feel comfortable handing out jobs with a sample size of 10.1 innings or less? That's insane. Especially since they're not even facing a lineup entirely composed of major leaguers. You can't just look at stats.
    I'm very confused how an argument that centers around sample size can explain away all but one 2 inning start.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by McLevin View Post
    Volstad's been "working on new pitches" since last season and that's why his stats have been bad guys, he's actually really good

get on the same level as mba and I
    I hear he was also worrying about Darfur and now healthcare...poor guy brings it with him to the mound.
    Last edited by Swifty; 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
      I'm very confused how an argument that centers around sample size can explain away all but one 2 inning start.
      Well, you're willing to completely ignore what Hensley and Penn have done in the past and instead look at just 10 innings or less. What's the difference?

This is why you can't just look at stats. 10 innings is way too small a sample size to determine anything. Or do you think they're ace material because both of them have better lines than JJ in the same sample size.
      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Well, you're saying that Penn is better. We had him last year. Why didn't we call him up if he was a better option than Volstad?

And Volstad is 23. He is no where near hitting his prime. You can't give up on a guy because he went through a sophomore slump (a not uncommon event) in the majors at age 22.
          Read what I said if we had a better option LAST YEAR. Players every yr fight for a spot in spring training.. Volstad has shown NOTHING last yr or this spring to warrant guaranteeing him a spot! Penn was dog shit last yr yes but, players get better or some stay status quo. I would rather see if Penn continues to pitch well in the regular season and have Volstad work on his "new pitch" in AAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
            Read what I said if we had a better option LAST YEAR. Players every yr fight for a spot in spring training.. Volstad has shown NOTHING last yr or this spring to warrant guaranteeing him a spot! Penn was dog shit last yr yes but, players get better or some stay status quo. I would rather see if Penn continues to pitch well in the regular season and have Volstad work on his "new pitch" in AAA.
            And you think you've seen enough in less than 10 innings against partial minor league competition to convince you that Penn will not be dog shit when the season begins in April?

Comment

• mba's blind favoritism towards Volstad aside, she's right about Penn.

He's had 8 innings in spring training, and those 8 innings have been solid, not spectacular. He really shouldn't even be in the discussion. If Volstad continues to implode we may not have any other choice, but as of right now there's really no reason to believe Penn will be any better than Volstad at this point.

Comment

And you think you've seen enough in less than 10 innings against partial minor league competition to convince you that Penn will not be dog shit when the season begins in April?
                I'm saying that if he continues to fight and pitch well this spring he should be given the opportunity to continue it at the ML level. Your love for Volstad blinds you to the fact he was shitty last yr.. shitty this spring and has shown nothing that he won't be better than shitty to start the season. With him being only 22 let him figure it out in the minors.

Also its not just Penn consider Hensley as well!

Comment

I'm saying that if he continues to fight and pitch well this spring he should be given the opportunity to continue it at the ML level. Your love for Volstad blinds you to the fact he was shitty last yr.. shitty this spring and has shown nothing that he won't be better than shitty to start the season. With him being only 22 let him figure it out in the minors.

Hensley is in the same category as Penn. Hensley didn't even pitch in the majors last year and has made 1 major league start since the start of the 2008 season.

What I'm saying is that you can't base everything on stats in spring training in a time frame of less than 10 innings. JJ has an ERA of over 6 after yesterday. Do we think he's going to do that in the season? You have to look at the player as a whole. That means looking at what Penn and Hensley have done in the past and not just what they have done in 10 innings.

Comment

• How much do we want to put in ST? Does anyone think Penn and Hensley will be two of our five best pitchers this year? I don't think so, but maybe they can be two of our five best pitchers right now. The opening day roster does not have to be the one we go all year with. If Penn is cool now and gets killed in the season, then someone else should get a chance. Competition is always good and winning competitions should be rewarded.

But there has to be a limit. Boners been arguably our best infielder and BC our best outfielder in ST, but they don't deserve to start solely because of it, obviously.

I say take the guys throwing best at every point.

If the season started now I think I'd go:

JJ
                    Nolasco
                    Anibal
                    RVH

Penn and Hensley for bullpen/spot starts with Volstad, West, and Miller in AAA. But have a short leash for all except JJ and Nolasco.
                    poop

Comment

• Well, based on Hensley's prior major league stats and AAA stats from last year he deserves a shot. Miller's spot should be the first spot up for grabs, not Volstad's though.

Comment

Don't forget about me.

Comment

What I'm saying is that you can't base everything on stats in spring training in a time frame of less than 10 innings.
                          Nobody is doing that, but you are super silly stupid sensitive about one player

Comment

• Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                            Nobody is doing that, but you are super silly stupid sensitive about one player
                            It seems to me that they are. Everyone is quick to say that Penn and Hensley are better fits for the rotation because they have better stats in less than 10 innings. That's my point. When you look at all three players over their careers, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Penn or Hensley is better than Volstad. It's just that nobody seems to want to look at anything before this spring for Penn or Hensley because they have great stats now but they have no problems looking at Volstad's stats last year because his line fir this spring over less than 8 innings is not pretty. It's like there are double standards going on here.

Comment

• Hensley actually does have better major league stats than Volstad.

Comment

It seems to me that they are. Everyone is quick to say that Penn and Hensley are better fits for the rotation because they have better stats in less than 10 innings. That's my point. When you look at all three players over their careers, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Penn or Hensley is better than Volstad. It's just that nobody seems to want to look at anything before this spring for Penn or Hensley because they have great stats now but they have no problems looking at Volstad's stats last year because his line fir this spring over less than 8 innings is not pretty. It's like there are double standards going on here.
                                Ehe

Maybe it is that none of them have been very good within the last season at the ML level and they are all competing for a spot and up to this point, WHILE CONSIDERING RECENT PERFORMANCE, some folks are showing better stuff than others.

Or maybe two guys that werent major league pitchers last year should have no chance to make the team because they are competing with a tall goofy fella that you like.

Double standards weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Working...
                                X