No announcement yet.

Fredi Already On The Hot Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team was 6th in baseball with 24 blown saves. Middle of the pack in save percentage. MLB average in OPS. 20th in WHIP. 20th in K/BB ratio.

Yes, the save statistic is pretty overrated. But it still measures the ability to close games in which you are ahead. There is a lot to be said about 24 missed opportunities to win a game (granted I bet we won some later in extras).

And hey, that deficiency comment was towards pitching. If you're going to carry around a pitcher who has shown nothing and another whose shoulder is hanging on by God knows what and parade them as fourth and fifth starters, have a bullpen that can come in early and often.

Comment

Seems like an excuse to write an article to me. I dont think Fredi is anything special as a manager, but he is not egregious either. Who are you going to replace him with even if he is?

An oft overlooked aspect of Fredi's management style is that he is the quintessential company yes man.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post

An oft overlooked aspect of Fredi's management style is that he is the quintessential company yes man.
        Overlooked by who? Dave Hyde and Greg Cote? I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows a large part of Fredi's appeal to the FO is that he never clashes with them, and after the Girardi-FO disputes Fredi was the perfect hire for them.

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
          Overlooked by who? Dave Hyde and Greg Cote? I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows a large part of Fredi's appeal to the FO is that he never clashes with them, and after the Girardi-FO disputes Fredi was the perfect hire for them.
          Yes, by the media. I was meaning that this is a story for the sake of a story. He is a puppet.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
            Team was 6th in baseball with 24 blown saves. Middle of the pack in save percentage. MLB average in OPS. 20th in WHIP. 20th in K/BB ratio.

Yes, the save statistic is pretty overrated. But it still measures the ability to close games in which you are ahead. There is a lot to be said about 24 missed opportunities to win a game (granted I bet we won some later in extras).

And hey, that deficiency comment was towards pitching. If you're going to carry around a pitcher who has shown nothing and another whose shoulder is hanging on by God knows what and parade them as fourth and fifth starters, have a bullpen that can come in early and often.

24 blown saves and the Marlins won 87 games. 87 fricking games. 20 blown saves and the Marlins win 91 games.

They simply have to find away to blow less than 20 games this season.

Comment

Same can be said about the phillies
              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
              Tom Koehler(4-0)
              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Phuck the Phillies

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                  24 blown saves and the Marlins won 87 games. 87 fricking games. 20 blown saves and the Marlins win 91 games.

They simply have to find away to blow less than 20 games this season.
                  Doesn't work like that.... You can blow a save and still win the game

(I realize you know this)

Comment

You also don't just blow the save in the 9th inning.

Comment

Both of the above are truths

Comment

You can also blow more than 1 save in a game

(I think)

Comment

I can't, but you probably can

Comment

You also are not the only team who can say "oh if only we didnt blow those saves, we'd be better."

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              You can also blow more than 1 save in a game

(I think)
                              You can, and it doesn't even have to go to extras.

You're the home team, up 3-1 in the top of the 8th, blow the lead in the 8th, retake the lead in the bottom, say 6-4, blow that lead in the 9th.

2 blown saves.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                              You also are not the only team who can say "oh if only we didnt blow those saves, we'd be better."
                              I am that team.
                              Last edited by Swifty; 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post

Right. But I never said that.

We blew more saves than the majority of teams in MLB.

We didn't win 87 games and only blow 9 saves. The Marlins won 87 games and blew 24 saves.

Comment

Working...
                                X