Miller Rolls Right Ankle in Minors Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury: Miller Rolls Right Ankle in Minors Start

MIAMI -- A rough start to a Minor League stint just got worse for Andrew Miller.

While making a start for Triple-A New Orleans on Wednesday, the 24-year-old left-hander rolled his right ankle while fielding a bunt down the third-base line in the first inning and ended up coming out before the start of the second.

As of right now, Miller is still being evaluated, but the initial reaction of vice president of player development and scouting Jim Fleming is that it shouldn't be too serious. Fleming said he expects Miller to be put on the shelf for about a week or two, though that is still pending evaluations.

Miller, who gave up six runs on three hits and nine walks in 4 2/3 innings for the Zephyrs on Friday, yielded four runs in his lone inning of work. After pulling up lame fielding the swinging bunt, he stayed in the game and recorded a strikeout on the No. 9 hitter, the pitcher. Then, after coming out for the second inning and warming up, he was taken out for precautionary reasons.

"Not good; not good," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He rolled his ankle and came out of the game. That was it. I haven't heard from him."

Miller was 3-5 with a 4.81 ERA in 16 games (14 starts) for the Marlins this season. The Marlins already have a hole in the No. 5 spot in the rotation, which will come up on Saturday, and have Rick VandenHurk, Thursday's starter, slotted in the back end.

In his three starts since being sent down to the Minor Leagues, lefty Sean West has given up nine runs in 15 1/3 innings -- a 5.33 ERA -- for Double-A Jacksonville. The 23-year-old pitched on Wednesday, giving up three runs in five innings, meaning he won't be in line to make Saturday's start for the Marlins. Burke Badenhop, currently serving a three-game suspension, appears to be the leading candidate.
    Miller rolls right ankle in Minors start

Setting aside the ankle for a second, 4 runs on three hits and 2 walks in one inning?!?!
    WTF Miller? I'm just really glad he's doing this shitty down there when we're still in the hunt here.

Also, West isn't proving he's ready, either which leads to the obvious question of who rejoins the rotation when we need the 5th starter full time on the 7th? I'm thinking it will be Anibal if we don't get anyone.

Back to the topic at hand, take your time healing Andrew. You've got a lot of work to do to get back up to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
      Setting aside the ankle for a second, 4 runs on three hits and 2 walks in one inning?!?!
      WTF Miller? I'm just really glad he's doing this shitty down there when we're still in the hunt here.
      If he's working on fixing things I don't see why we should be worried about production.

"You learn little in victory, you learn a lot in defeat"

Comment

Working...
      X