Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Office Expects 2010 Marlins to Make the Playoffs. Do you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swift View Post
    lou awarded us the hypothetical 2008 pennant after the last tear down, then when that got a little funny he penciled us in for 2010 err, '12.
    Burn!

It's all dependent on the SP. If Girardi doesn't blow out Johnson, then we get Anibal and Nolasco injuries who knows where the fuck we'd be.

I mean, if Nolasco turns into mostly 2008, Volstad finds his inner Derek Lowe (pre 2009 version), and all the lefties we have show up, they are going to be really good. But who knows when all of that happens. I'm really confident in the bats, and it's just going to get crazier with what's brewing in AA/AAA, so it's really when do 4 starting pitchers emerge? We currently have 1 awesome one, and 5 or 6 who the fuck knows but are occasionally great so we can be hopeful.

Comment

I'm really intrigued by Anibal this season. If he can stay healthy(big if) and can pitch like he did in the 2nd half of the season it'll be huge. I have a felling he'll stay healthy this year.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

When was the last time the Marlins were not legitimately in the wild card hunt in September? And I'm not talking 8 games out with 8 teams to jump over?

I can't remember the last time. So yes, the Marlins have a pretty good chance at making the playoffs (barring a serious injury to Hanley/JJ).

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
          When was the last time the Marlins were not legitimately in the wild card hunt in September? And I'm not talking 8 games out with 8 teams to jump over?

I can't remember the last time. So yes, the Marlins have a pretty good chance at making the playoffs (barring a serious injury to Hanley/JJ).

But point taken, we've been in the hunt almost every year since 2003.

Comment

I think it all comes down to the starting pitching, honestly. The young rotation needs to move from potentially good to actually good. Volstad needs to get back to his rookie form and Anibal needs to be healthy for a full season. We also need either Miller or West to emerge as a reliable starting pitcher. If JJ remains dominant and Nolasco pitches like he did in 08' and the second half of last year we should be ok.

I think the line-up is fine. We should score enough runs to win games if the starters can come through.

Comment

Not really, but I am hoping for a pleasant surprise.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

why not?

we won 87 games, with a rotation that underperformed. And with boner batting leadoff, and playing 3B for the majority of the year.
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Fredi fired if no play offs?
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

No way is a bit strong. There should be an "I don't really think so but I wouldn't say there's no way" option. I think there's a lot of question marks because I honestly don't know what to expect from a lot of guys on the team.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

There are some people in the Mets organization that think Beltran's career, or at least his time as a starter of consequence, is over.

For them to be good, they need him to be healthy and it doesn't look like they'll be getting that (and this is coming from a guy who was raving about the Bay signing for them).
                      Last edited by Swifty; 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Signing with the Mets is also the kiss of death for the careers of free agents.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
                          Last year the Mets played with their triple A team. It'll be real tough to make the playoffs, or even be as close as we were last year.
                          If the Mets finish .500, I'll be shocked.

Comment

Also the Mets built an even better stadium for the Marlins than our own home stadium (name interchangable here) so I always feel confident about our chances of winning there with our better pitchers and their lack of homerun hitters.

But thats besides the point. As someone said earlier, no Boner (-.4 WAR last season)and no Herm (.3 WAR) hopefully more roatation stability is enough to get us at least 2-3 more wins easily and with some luck maybe 4-6?
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Got them at 87 wins based on some averaged projections available at FanGraphs and what I'd call modestly optimistic playing time projections. Don't think that's enough given the strength of the two good NL West teams and the Phillies' current prime.

Originally posted by BigGameFish
                              As someone said earlier, no Boner (-.4 WAR last season)and no Herm (.3 WAR)...
                              That always helps. I'd say Maybin can get to league average this season, that's already a huge jump from whatever it was Hermida was doing. Herm probably projects at 1 WAR this year, so average should bump us a win. COmbine that with Boner's .3 or .4 WAR projected compared to whatever Sanchez should give us, and I'm guessing we could have a 1 1/2 win bump from replacing those two.

Still, we need some luck, on the order of 3-4 wins worth, to make the playoffs I think.
                              Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                              Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                              Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

Originally posted by SFiercex4 View Post
                                Herm probably projects at 1 WAR this year.
                                What is it good for?

Comment

Working...
                                X