Multi-year Deal for Nolasco Possible After Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-year Deal for Nolasco Possible After Season

The Marlins will explore a multiyr deal for Ricky Nolasco after 2010, if he has a strong 10 season
    http://twitter.com/JoeFrisaro/statuses/8033129459

as I said before I really want this to happen (if he has a strong season), because our hitters will be costing nuttin and replacing him if he's back to form will be reaaaaaaaaaaaal hard

Comment

I'd be down with this.
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

That's the right time to do it, but even if he gets through this season unscathed, you have to be worried about all the wear and tear on his arm. I'd be ok with a reasonable three year deal for Ricky, but this is a situation where if the Marlins said "we are under no circumstances doing a four year deal," I'd agree with them.
        --------------------
        Oh, and if the Marlins are actually considering this, that's a pretty damn good indication that the organizational philosophy, with regard to long term contracts, is going to be changing to some degree when they move in to the new ballpark. The change may not be as dramatic as some of us would like, but it will still be better than what it was in the old ballpark.
        Last edited by wanks1212; 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I like this approach. There is certainly more variability in forecasting Nolasco's performance, since he is prone to those inexplicably bad stretches, but when he's right his stuff is the filthiest on the staff and right up there with best in baseball.

Comment

This is the FLORIDA MARLINS board right? I havent been redirected to another middle-market team's site? I cant remember the last time I heard so much positive news about the Marlins in such a short timespan.
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
              That's the right time to do it, but even if he gets through this season unscathed, you have to be worried about all the wear and tear on his arm. I'd be ok with a reasonable three year deal for Ricky, but this is a situation where if the Marlins said "we are under no circumstances doing a four year deal," I'd agree with them.
              While I agree with what you're saying, I don't like buying out 2 years of arbitration for only 1 year of free agency.

Do we ever even do options?

Comment

He only has one year left of arbitration after this year, right?
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  He only has one year left of arbitration after this year, right?
                  I believe so. He was arby eligible last year and I don't think he was a super 2.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Yeah 2011 is his last year of club control.

Comment

No, '12 is his last season. He was a super 2.
                      --------------------
                      http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...s_archive.html

Last edited by nny; 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

And honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

If it represents a change in organizational philosophy, as in, if we now believe that players that are good and can help the Marlins win should have a place on the Marlins regardless (within reason) of salary, then I'm all for it.

If it means that we think that after a strong 2010 Nolasco joins that select group of "special" players we try to extend, then I'm not so sure about it.

When Ricky's on, he's spectacular to watch. When Ricky's off, it's a disaster. And the thing that scares me about Ricky is that his stuff doesn't vary greatly start to start (aside from his curve, it's not totally overpowering to begin with), and he always pounds the strike zone, but we've been down this road many times before.

I figure that with a strong 2010 Nolasco would likely ask for (and should receive) a five year deal. He'd be 28 when that deal starts. I'm not sure how much that excites me.

Comment

This shit is ballah and crazy. It's like the Marlins are all growed up and becoming a real baseball franchise.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Swift, you have just been hating on Nolasco from the start. You were convinced he was showing his true colors last year, but then he proved you wrong by righting the ship. If Nolasco is an elite player on this team (I'd say within the top 5), then he deserves a multi-year contract. And if he's 28 when the deal starts, he'll be 33 when it's over. That's a player's prime years, isn't it? I'm ecstatic about this, because I know that he'll have another strong year and he'll earn that extension. Having our 1 and 2 in place for several years is going to be so reassuring and fun.
                            Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

I would like this move very much, like nny before, he is a nice #2 starter, and i dont see the marlins' system replacing him anytime soon, West is at best a 3, same with Volstad, and guys like James, winters, Hand arent projected to be #2.

Also the way the marlins gives out long term deals, they wont fill nolasco's spot through FA
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Working...
                              X