Spring Training Starting Early for About 20 Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Training Starting Early for About 20 Marlins

First baseman Logan Morrison hasn't played in a single major league game, but he's setting a lofty goal this season: Follow Marlins left fielder Chris Coghlan and win the National League Rookie of the Year award.

"I'd be lying to you if I didn't want to go back-to-back with him. You've got to have your goals and set them high,' he said.

Of course, Morrison knows that he must win a job with the Marlins first. And he's giving himself every chance to do that.

Spring training doesn't start until Feb. 20, but Morrison said he has been working out on the back fields at Roger Dean Stadium since October. On Tuesday, he took light defensive drills at first base with infield coach Joe Espada.

"The biggest thing I've had my mind set on this whole off-season is to go in and make that opening-day roster,' Morrison said.

Morrison will compete with Gaby Sanchez, who opened the 2009 season at Class AAA New Orleans after failing to win the first base job out of camp.

Jorge Cantu wound up starting the season at first base. He moved to third base in August after the Marlins traded for Nick Johnson, who recently signed a free-agent deal with the New York Yankees.

The Marlins will go into camp with the hopes of Cantu starting the season at third base and Morrison at first. Morrison, of course, will have to prove this spring that he deserves it.

"He's ready to play in the big leagues. He's a very impressive kid,' Marlins baseball operations president Larry Beinfest said recently.

Morrison, who was drafted by the Marlins in the 22nd round in 2005, had a breakout year with Class A Jupiter in 2008, batting .332 with 13 homers and 74 RBI en route to winning the Florida State League Most Valuable Player award.

He was limited to 79 games at Class AA Jacksonville in 2009 after fracturing his right thumb in a collision in April. He finished the year with a .277 batting average, eight homers and 47 RBI.

"The numbers weren't what I wanted but coming off an injury you've got to allow for that,' he said.

Morrison, 22, could also get some action in left field, but for now the plan is to start Coghlan there.

"We've been focusing mainly on infield,' Morrison said. "If the outfield thing comes along in spring training and they want me to work out there, I'd be more than happy.'

Morrison isn't the only Marlins player getting a head start in Jupiter. Left-handed reliever Taylor Tankersley, who is trying to come back from an elbow injury, threw his first bullpen session Tuesday.

Tankersley, the organization's top draft pick in 2004, will try to win a bullpen spot. He missed all of the 2009 season with a stress fracture in his left elbow.

Among 20 major- and minor-league players working out this week are right-handers Chris Volstad and Tim Wood, left-hander Dan Meyer and third base prospect Matt Dominguez. Right-hander Anibal Sanchez also has been in Jupiter.

Players said they're expecting those numbers to increase when the Marlins hold informal winter workouts the week of Jan. 24. The workouts are not open to the public.

Volstad said he has been working on a slider, a pitch he never had thrown.

"The coaches wanted me to work on a slider, something that goes down and away, to work off of my sinker,' he said. "I have been playing catch with it but haven't really thrown it yet off a mound.'
    Marlins' Logan Morrison making an early case to start at first base

A slider would be interesting, especially if it stays low.

Comment

Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
      A slider would be interesting, especially if it stays low.
      I don't mind it as long as he adds it to his curveball. Volstad's curve is one of his best pitches and could be his strikeout pitch. I'm just not sure I would want him to drop it like VandenHurk did.

Comment

I would rather Volstad add a cutter as opposed to the slider, since it is safer on the arm that is already stressed by a big curve.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

I like reading this. I'm glad to hear that guys are already putting in work and I also really like Morrison's attitude. My opinion of him just recieved a +1
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
            I would rather Volstad add a cutter as opposed to the slider, since it is safer on the arm that is already stressed by a big curve.
            I would like him to not suck, his sucking places stress on my already stressed head.

Comment

Working...
            X