Grade Our Off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade Our Off-season

I think we have to be pretty happy with what has transpired thus far. I mean, it looks like we're keeping both Uggla and Cantu and we just locked up Johnson. Yeah, we lost Nicky J and Calero, but that was pretty much a given from the start. Plus, the Marlins always seem to put together a solid bullpen, so losing Calero *shouldn't* be that big of a deal.

We all know the way this organization operates, so none of us expected the FO to go out and make a play for a Matt Holliday or Jason Bay or even a Mike Cameron. I think, based on this franchise's past, this was a very successful off-season. We succeeded in fulfilling our number one priority in signing JJ and, barring a last minute deal, we're keeping Uggla's pop in the lineup.

I'd give us an "A."
    A
    41.67%
    B
    37.50%
    C
    20.83%
    D
    0.00%
    F
    0.00%

suddenly an A
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Seemingly keeping uggla and cantu, getting JJ locked up, and some minor deals (jimenez, schroder) with upside say "a" for me.

We didn't get shit for Hermida, but that's no surprise, so no negative there.
      poop

Comment

Well the only important thing longterm was signing JJ for 4 years, everything else is just fielding a competitive roster that could contend if the SP grows up quick.

I kind of want assurance Bonifacio will not be starting at 3B before giving them an A. But if Gaby/Logan is at 1B, or Jimenez at 3B, and EB on the bench, that's fine. I'm not going to cry about the lack of offering arbitration considering far better players were non-tendered because the market is horrible. Hermida was expected.

Provisional A, assuming no EB at 3B.

Comment

I can't vote this yet. Maybe in a month from now.
          --------------------
          But right now I'd say B-

You guys are giving A's like nothing.
          Last edited by BigGameFish; 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
            --------------------
            But right now I'd say B-

Want to explain why you're giving it a B-?

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
              --------------------
              But right now I'd say B-

Because signing JJ is just that important. And keeping Uggla, even if they wanted to trade them, is going to do wonders to the lineup.

Comment

Yeah, I dont know how this can be an A because we didnt actually improve at all. We managed to keep JJ which is real nice but my expectations of improving a spot or two were not met. Granted this has to be adjusted since we don't spend money on anyone.

Comment

A/A+ if we sign Delgado/Branyan/Someone to a 1 year contract to play 1B or 3B, keep Uggla, and sign John Smoltz to a 1 year contract. We are then a legit playoff contender.

B if we do nothing else and keep Uggla.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                    A/A+ if we sign Delgado/Branyan/Someone to a 1 year contract to play 1B or 3B, keep Uggla, and sign John Smoltz to a 1 year contract. We are then a legit playoff contender.

B if we do nothing else and keep Uggla.
                    NNY is into the $55 million payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                      Yeah, I dont know how this can be an A because we didnt actually improve at all. We managed to keep JJ which is real nice but my expectations of improving a spot or two were not met. Granted this has to be adjusted since we don't spend money on anyone.
                      Again, when does this team ever really make any significant moves toward improvement in the off-season? We mainly rely on our young guys to improve the following year. If Nolasco doesn't shit the bed the first two months like he did last season, we've already improved by a decent margin.

Comment

C-

Haven't added anyone. I'm not getting uber excited over doing something all other teams would do. It's embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                          Again, when does this team ever really make any significant moves toward improvement in the off-season? We mainly rely on our young guys to improve the following year. If Nolasco doesn't shit the bed the first two months like he did last season, we've already improved by a decent margin.
                          Sorry, improvements need to both come from within and FA. You can't depend on just your farm system to replenish your team.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                            Again, when does this team ever really make any significant moves toward improvement in the off-season?
                            Why is this ok?

Comment

Sure.

Well first let me start off by saying that to me an A is a perfect offseason, and we havent had that. I've posted in other threads these questions I still have

Who are we signing to replace Calero and Donnely?
                              Will we improve at closer? (doesnt look like it)
                              Who is our 1st baseman? Im not too excited about either Sanchez or Morrison to be honest.
                              Will we keep Cantu and/or Uggla? If not who starts there?

Im also dissapointed we didnt even go after a veteran starter, something I believe we desperately need. Which begs the question... Who are our 3-5 starters and are they reliable enough? (West, Miller, Vandenhurk?)

Without the signing of JJ i think i might have given an F in all honesty. We havent done crap and like I said I have no clue about Uggla or Cantu's futures

So B- for now. If they resign Cantu and Uggla maybe B+ or A-, i dont know, depends on a few other things as well and just my overall confidence in them leading up to ST.
                              Last edited by BigGameFish; 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM.
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Working...
                              X