• Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Marlins to Visit Troops in Iraq, Kuwait

Originally posted by MLB.com
    Marlins to visit troops in Iraq, Kuwait
    Team the first to travel to region since war in Iraq began

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

01/13/10 4:52 PM EST

Before Spring Training begins and preparation for the 2010 season gets under way, the Marlins will give a little back -- and make a little history in the process.

Several members of the organization will be paying a visit to United States military personnel serving in Iraq and Kuwait from Jan. 24-Feb. 1, making the Marlins the first Major League franchise to travel to the region since the war in Iraq started, a team-issued news release announced Wednesday.

Representing the Marlins will be manager Fredi Gonzalez, reigning National League Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan, catcher John Baker, president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest, senior director of team travel Bill Beck and director of marketing and promotions Matt Britten. The club will also be sending four members of the Mermaids dance group.

"We are extremely proud of the men and women who serve our country, and we are thankful for this unique opportunity to show our appreciation," Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said in a statement. "This trip is important to all of us, and we take our responsibility to support our soldiers very seriously. The Marlins have long enjoyed a great relationship with the military, and we're proud to continue this great tradition."

Coghlan's brother, Kevin, is a corporal in the U.S. Marines, and Gonzalez attended the Army-Navy college football game with his son, Alex, in December.

The Marlins will be making the trip in association with Armed Forces Entertainment, the official Department of Defense agency for providing entertainment to U.S. military personnel overseas, which hosts more than 1,200 shows around the world each year.

The Marlins will be providing daily blog updates and photos of their trip on marlins.com.

"We are very excited the Marlins ballclub will be touring Southwest Asia with Armed Forces Entertainment, and we know the troops stationed overseas will enjoy the little piece of home they'll get with a visit from some of their favorite professional athletes," Col. Edward F. Shock, chief of AFE, said in a statement. "We know how busy this time of year can be with the team preparing to begin Spring Training, so we are honored the players, manager and dance team members are taking time away from their already hectic schedules to visit with our men and women in uniform."
    http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla

They are the two players I would expect. Uggla too, but perhaps he is not pleased with his name being trade bait.
    Last edited by Metes; 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM.

I can imagine the pandemonium that was created when they heard BILL BECK AND MATT BRITTEN ARE COMING TO BAGHDAD!
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

Larry Beinfest I assume is going along to scout out the Iraqi talent. Surely there's a shutdown closer in Baghdad willing to play for the league minimum.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

can we leave some of them there?

Comment

I kinda see this as being like "And, introducing from the Florida Marlins... Coghlan and Baker" and it playing out like Major League with the soldiers wondering who they are
          CSBC Commish

Comment

If Accord is in Iraq he'd be the only one clapping.

Comment

I like how Coghlan's tie to it is his brother, that's cool

But Fredi's tie is that one time he had gone to an Army/Navy game

I'd Baker bought his flashlight at an Army-Navy Store and Beinfest is wearing navy pants today
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I think Loria's connection is that he loves things that are long, hard, and full of semen.

submarines

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                  I like how Coghlan's tie to it is his brother, that's cool

But Fredi's tie is that one time he had gone to an Army/Navy game

I'd Baker bought his flashlight at an Army-Navy Store and Beinfest is wearing navy pants today
                  I thought that was hilarious too... one has nothing to do with the other. It's like if Hanley went to Japan to help free the Dolphins they kill for food because he once went to a Dolphin game.

Comment

Dolphins game

Comment

This is like when Roger Clemens was like, "I don't take steroids because those cause you heart problems and my step-dad had heart problems".
                      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

MIAMI -- Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez has packed a dozen balls and a glove for the organization's upcoming tour of Iraq and Kuwait.

"You never know. Maybe we'll do a little scouting trip while we're there," Gonzalez said with a chuckle Friday.

The more serious goal is to spread some goodwill among the troops.

Joining Gonzalez will be NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan, catcher John Baker, president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest and four members of the team's Mermaids dance crew.

The group flies Sunday from Washington to Kuwait. The Marlins say the weeklong trip, sponsored by Armed Forces Entertainment, is the first of its kind for a major league club since the Iraq war began.

The Marlins said they'll be ready to play catch, pass out souvenirs or share stories about life in the majors -- whatever helps the troops take their minds off the war.

Gonzalez conceded he's a little anxious.

"We're not going to Disney World," he said. "The percentage of stuff that can happen is slim. But there is some nervousness on my part."

Coghlan and Baker both have relatives with military backgrounds. Coghlan's brother spent four years with the Marine Corps in Iraq before returning to the United States, where he's now enrolled in junior college.

"This trip isn't for us, but when we walk away we'll probably get more out of it than we ever thought we would," Coghlan said. "Those guys over there are the real heroes. I'm able to fully understand that with my own brother, the closest person in my life, putting his life on the line."

Baker's family includes a grandfather who served in World War II and two cousins recently retired from the Marine Corps. He said he has received much positive feedback from relatives about making the trip to visit the troops.

"Just being a civilian, not even a baseball player, and heading over to see these men and women is a positive thing," Baker said. "It brings a slice of home and America to them."

The Marlins have few details regarding their itinerary, and Gonzalez joked it's classified. But Coghlan said he received a scouting report from his brother about what to expect.

"We don't know exactly where we're going. It's still confidential for security purposes," Coghlan said. "But he said, 'More than likely you're going to go to the bases. It's going to be real safe.' He said, 'You'll be amazed to realize how supportive they are and thankful for you coming.' He said, 'They just want to take their minds off fighting.' "
                        http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4849143

Video of Coghlan talking about his ROY award, above

Comment

Shake-n-Bake is keeping a running diary.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...ker-diary.html

Comment

Why is not titled 'Dear Internet'?

Comment

There is about to be another interview on MLB network

Comment

Working...
                              X