• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL May Pull a Marlins with Super Bowl

Miami Dolphins may seek tax to fix stadium

BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN AND DOUGLAS HANKS
    mhaggman@miamiherald.com

Are cash-strapped taxpayers willing to spend millions to keep Dolphin Stadium as the Super Bowl's favorite home?

Only months after Miami-Dade commissioners agreed to borrow $490 million for a new Florida Marlins baseball stadium, local leaders and the Miami Dolphins are contemplating a push to seek public money to help fund $250 million in renovations to the football venue.

NFL executives laid the groundwork for the move in recent months, saying the Super Bowl may not return to South Florida unless a host of improvements are made to the Miami Gardens facility.

The changes include enclosing a portion of the stadium to avoid the debacle of South Florida's last Super Bowl, when a rare February deluge drenched spectators at the 2007 NFL championship.

The stadium's lighting also would get an upgrade, as would the lower bowl, allowing spectators to sit closer to the sidelines.

PREFERRED USE

Using public dollars to renovate the stadium ``needs to be debated and needs to be on the table,'' said Rodney Barreto, chairman of the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee. ``Given the economy, hosting Pro Bowls and Super Bowls are fantastic. These are big money generators for the community.''

The Dolphins have not made a formal proposal, and team CEO Mike Dee said Tuesday it was too early to attach a price tag or funding source for the renovations.

``It would be well premature to speculate how it gets paid for, who pays for it, what it costs,'' Dee said. ``We're going to see if there is an appetite in this community . . . to try and get this done.''

But a private push for a tax-funded stadium redo has gained enough steam in recent weeks that Miami-Dade's tourism bureau adopted a resolution urging county commissioners to put the Miami Beach Convention Center first in line for any hotel taxes that might go to the Dolphins, said county tourism director William Talbert.

Broward's tourism director also was cool to the idea of spending hotel taxes on a football stadium, saying a proposed headquarters hotel for the county's convention center would attract more tourists.

``I relish and covet Super Bowls,'' said Nicki Grossman, Broward County's tourism director. ``But when tasked with saying `Super Bowl or convention-center hotel?' I am far warmer to the hotel.''

The proposed stadium renovations would cost about $250 million, said Grossman, who sits on the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee. Though the stadium sits in Miami-Dade, project supporters would ask Broward and Palm Beach counties to aid the renovations too, she said.

The prospect of using tax dollars to renovate a privately owned facility is sure to spark debate.

Dolphins or Host Committee officials are expected to lay out their ideas for changes to the stadium on Thursday at a Host Committee meeting at the stadium, Barreto said.

`A GOOD USE OF MONEY'

``I believe it would be a good use of public money,'' said Bruce Jay Colan, a Miami lawyer and Super Bowl host committee board member. ``If not, we will get to a point where we won't get them because we can't compete.''

Colan added that public dollars must also go to convention center upgrades and can't come from the general fund.

Tourism officials question spending hotel taxes to attract a game several times a decade instead of investing in local convention centers that attract visitors year round. Hotel taxes subsidize convention centers, and competition for those dollars has grown amid a severe lodging downturn.

Barreto said the plan wouldn't necessarily rely on hotel taxes.

``There could potentially be a combination of things,'' he said. ``I think it could be a combination with state of Florida, with Miami-Dade, and creating a special taxing district.''

Jorge Gonzalez, city manager of Miami Beach, the region's most popular tourist destination, said he was surprised by the idea of seeking public money for the stadium.

``It's surprising to me that so soon after this community debated the issue of baseball and is building a new stadium, that now the football stadium would be standing in line.''

A push for pumping tax dollars into the Dolphins' stadium would touch on a perennial debate in sports: How much is a Super Bowl really worth?

Organizers of South Florida's Super Bowls say the game brought $463 million to the economy when it was last here in 2007, but some academics call that figure NFL hype.

Philip Porter, an economics professor at the University of South Florida in Tampa, said a Super Bowl amounts to a fiscal blip for large economies. That's particularly true for popular winter tourism destinations like South Florida, which can count on packed hotels in February even without a Super Bowl.

``If you wanted economic impact, you'd do a lot better taking the money you would spend on a stadium and drop it out of a helicopter,'' he said.

Governments throughout the country have used tax dollars to build gleaming new stadiums for hometown teams. NFL executives cited those new venues in recent remarks to South Florida audiences, warning that an upgraded stadium is needed for South Florida to compete for future Super Bowls.

FUTURE OF THE GAME

When Super Bowl XLIV arrives on Feb. 7, it will make South Florida the top Super Bowl host in history with 10 championship games.

That raises a question: If the new upgrades do not follow, will the NFL really ditch its favorite Super Bowl spot at a stadium that already underwent a $200 million renovation?

Barreto said he met Saturday with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell -- who said stadium upgrades are necessary.

``I think we need to take a hard look at the message the commissioner of the NFL is sending this community and understand the ramifications of that message,'' he said. ``Based on my conversations with him, he seems to be pretty firm.''
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...y/1411314.html

Soooo off the top of my head, including the stuff Wayne started that would be ~$460M to renovate the entire stadium.

``I relish and covet Super Bowls,'' said Nicki Grossman, Broward County's tourism director. ``But when tasked with saying `Super Bowl or convention-center hotel?' I am far warmer to the hotel.''
    I laughed.

But I'm sure the Dolphins organization and Stephen Ross can afford this themselves
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

What a lame move by the NFL imo. No roof had never been a problem in the past, Wayne dishes out $200M+ of his own money for renovations and the NFL doesn't tell him he is making the wrong kind of renovations? I find that hard to believe. The NFL had to know money was being put into the stadium... hell, the main reason Wayne did it was because he was hoping to make Miami the permanant home for the Super Bowl. Why wouldn't the NFL tell him... hey you should put that renovation money toward a rood instead of towards making better concession areas?

I also think it is kind of off that they discuss putting a roof on Dolphins stadium AFTER the Marlins scure their own stadium, lol.

Comment

Wayne wanted to put a roof on Pro Player after his Marlins ownership but found it just wasn't cost effective (and the facility couldn't support a fully retractable roof).

I have no problem with the NFL coming in and saying that a multi-use facility (which the Pro is, was and was always intended to be, long before the Marlins were even in existence) that no longer has multi-uses needs to be converted to football only (and relatively state of the art) if it wants to continue to host the Super Bowl.

That said, I think it would be a very empty threat for the NFL to say that Tampa or Jacksonville pose a threat to Miami. Want to go ahead and say it'll be on a permanent rotation with Dallas, San Diego, New Orleans and then random city that needs rewarding, that's fine, but the Super Bowl is very rarely about the game itself. It's about keeping corporate sponsors not just entertained but immersed in lavishly hedonistic excursions that only a handful of cities make possible, especially in late January. As long as Miami remains Miami the g-string topless beach capital of the US with mid 70s temperatures and more high end restaurants, stores and bars/clubs than the average executive knows what to do with, Miami will host Super Bowls whether or not Pro Player is the perfect venue. The sponsors just won't stand for a week's retreat in Buffalo or Detroit or Pittsburgh or Green Bay.

Additionally, I think it's ironic that the NFL chooses this Super Bowl to single Pro Player out. Miami didn't even bid on this Super Bowl, the NFL came to Miami and said that the league needed Miami to take it because no other city compares to Super Bowl week in Miami.

Comment

Miami Dolphins unveil plans to upgrade stadium

MIAMI GARDENS - The Miami Dolphins unveiled on Thursday a vision for revamping their stadium that includes a metal roof structure that would completely cover the stadium seating, but leave the field open to the air and allow in the South Florida sunlight.

The roof is the biggest part of the proposal to prepare Dolphin Stadium to host future Super Bowls, World Cups and other international events. Other changes include moving lower bowl seating much closer to the field and upgrading video scoreboards. All of the changes would be aimed at making the 23-year-old home of the Dolphins competitive with newer, larger, glitzier and more technologically advanced football stadiums around the league, such as those in Dallas and Arizona.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee presented renderings of the proposal to the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee, which voted unanimously to explore stadium renovations as a way to ensure Super Bowls return to the region after Super Bowl XLIV on Feb. 7. The NFL has put South Florida on notice that without stadium upgrades, the big game is not assured of returning.

Dee and Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman Rodney Barreto said no cost estimates or sources to pay for the renovations have been determined. They insisted that unveiling the proposal was about beginning the discussions to see if the community wants to continue hosting the Super Bowls. Dee said he expects a price tag to be determined within the next few weeks.

"This is not about the Dolphins or the stadium," Dee said. "It's about economic development. It's about being able to compete for events on a national and international level."

Dee said the previous Super Bowl in South Florida in 2007 pumped about $400 million directly into local businesses and hundreds of millions more in media and marketing exposure.

Although South Florida is to host its record 10th Super Bowl on Feb. 7, the community lost out to New Orleans, which is vastly upgrading the Superdome, in its bid for the 2013 game. It has stiff competition, including the new stadium being built for the New York Giants and Jets, for the 2014 game.

Under the proposal unveiled Thursday, the roof would be 621,000 square feet and be placed 25 feet above the top of the existing seating bowl and have four support structures above that resemble the supports on a suspension bridge. Although the roof would be metal, it would be structured to allow the light in and the field would remain uncovered.
          Copyright Ā© 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
          http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,1924520.story

includes renderings they released today.

Comment

Wow that looks terrible.
            --------------------
            Also based on the right side of the pic, looks like they would add ~10 rows to the sidelines.
            --------------------
            Another key aspect of this proposed design is the white steel that would be used so as not to diminish the natural sunlight that is such a big part of the game day experience. Dee also revealed some other upgrades that would be addressed, including brand new lighting capable of supporting high-definition broadcasts because the current lighting is not system for night games is not adequate, and an entirely redone lower bowl that would move the seats closer to the field and on a lower slope, or "rake" to restore the visibility that was lost when the stadium became home to the Florida Marlins. He also talked about general wear and tear repairs like updating the 23-year-old seats, and then high impact improvements like four video boards in each corner so everyone can see them as opposed to the large scoreboards in each end zone.

Wow that place is fugly now, it gon look terrible if this is done.
            Last edited by Party; 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm actually a fan of those renderings.

Externally, it looks like ass, but it was never an architectural wonder to begin with; I think it's quirky and unique...something that cannot be said for all NFL venues.

Comment

It looks like the Mars Pathfinder.

Comment

Ehe, they gon drop a coffee table on top of that place but forget the glass in the middle

Comment

The green/aqua seats would be a huge upgrade.

Comment

I think that rendering looks good. Also, it's weird that rendering is a noun, but render is a verb. It's like build/building.
                      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

You can do that with any verb, it's called a gerund.

Comment

Oh, I forgot about gerunds. Damn, it's been too long without an English class for me.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Gerunds don't sound like something that would taste very good and I wouldn't want to eat but is probably good for you.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I like it. That stadium needs the work too. What Wayne did just isn't enough.
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                              X