Marlins Get Ready to Have a Debatable Home Run Celebration at New Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More info:

Here is what the HR feature will look like: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/videobet...be11&src=front

And

Meanwhile, the trust also approved another $2.7 million in projects for the ballpark:

A series of colorful tiled pathways by Carlos Cruz-Diez that will be located in the ballpark’s west side plaza entrance (see image at left of his work at the airport in Caracas), and two projects by Daniel Arsham and Snarkitecture. One of Arsham’s works is lighting for the ballpark’s roof columns.

The other, called a commemorative marker, will honor the history of the old Orange Bowl. It will be a series of giant concrete letters that spell out “Miami Orange Bowl” just like the old stadium’s original sign. The sculpture will represent the letters as if they fell off the Orange Bowl, and landed on the ballpark’s east plaza in different combinations spelling out other words, including “WON” and “GAME.” The letters will be the size and look of the ones that graced the Orange Bowl, but will be concrete and situated so fans can touch and sit on them.

“They have become one with the site and people can interact with them in whatever way they are comfortable, in terms of spurring memories of their relationship with the Orange Bowl and with events they’ve been to at that site,” Samson said. “They’ll be able to see the letters as part of the landscape, be able to come in actual contact with them … it’s sort of a common psychological thing when you can touch something it can spur a memory or smell something.”
    http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/b...Sentinel+Blogs)

Comment

Ehe, I lowelled out loud at the video

Comment

Sun Sentinel comments:

Horrible horrible horrible. While the Orange Bowl letters sound cool, the tiled floor looks like, well, an outdated airport. And that home run thing??? Both the tiles and the home run thing go completely against the sleek, modern design of the stadium. Why not add some shag carpeting and make everyone grow mustaches?

2012 Poll: Tackiest home run features in baseball?

NY's Big Apple
        Houston's Train
        Miami's Jumping Marlin
        Milwaukee's Bernie Brewer

Comment

the marlins would win that poll, hands down. the jumping marlin in the video is awe-inspiring in its awfulness. although, it could partially be made up for if the marlins instituted a mandatory mustache policy for all stadium workers.

and bernie brewer is awesome

Comment

So 5 million for a jumping Marlin,tile,and light BUT can't give players for arbitration so we can sign draft picks or sign our own players or FA

Gotta love it

Is Loria building a stadium for the team or an art museum? Imagine if he owned the Red Sox he would have a massive self portrait on the Green monster

Comment

That jumping marlin looks like an old carnival attraction.

"Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Come see the Amazing Jumping Marlin! I promise you ladies and gentleman, you've never seen anything like this before. Don't believe me? Have a look. For only a nickel you can see the most amazing spectacle since the Bearded Lady!"

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                So 5 million for a jumping Marlin,tile,and light BUT can't give players for arbitration so we can sign draft picks or sign our own players or FA

Gotta love it

Is Loria building a stadium for the team or an art museum? Imagine if he owned the Red Sox he would have a massive self portrait on the Green monster
                it is joke u keep on GIVING

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                  That jumping marlin looks like an old carnival attraction.

"Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Come see the Amazing Jumping Marlin! I promise you ladies and gentleman, you've never seen anything like this before. Don't believe me? Have a look. For only a nickel you can see the most amazing spectacle since the Bearded Lady!"
                  mustacioed stadium workers dressed at carnies = win
                  --------------------

Gotta love it
                  as stated earlier:

It looks like the money came from the taxpayers, so it couldn't be spent on the team.

totally!
                  Last edited by wanks1212; 12-16-2009, 10:43 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

wow, that's hideous.

Comment

Back to the Orange Bowl sign...

I want the new stadium to keep the 'tradition' going of having big orange letters at the entrance of Miami sports venues...

I'm also for naming it "Corporate Name" Stadium and not Field or Park because of the modern design.

Comment

That video makes me realize how wrong I was.

It's worse than I thought.

Comment

Wow, just watched the demo video. That thing is horrific.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfella
                            It looks like the money came from the taxpayers, so it couldn't be spent on the team.
                            --------------------
                            I have a feeling that this thing is going to be so ugly that everyone will actually like it.

I was thinking the SAME thing haha. The stadium will be so weird and so far out there that i think it will actually create a sense of tongue-in-cheek love for it because it is so awkward that it is humorous. Its kind of like when you laugh/enjoy something stupid, like the hit Boner had against Kevin Gregg and the Cubs last season that tied the game in the bottom of the 9th. It will be fun I guess.
                            --------------------
                            I cant help but laugh at almost every post in this thread
                            --------------------
                            Ok after watching the video of it I'm having second thoughts. WTF is that? Looks like something out of a carnival.

My idea:

Mike Stanton homers, fans go wild. A huge cannon rises from CF, with explosions galore Billy the Marlin goes flying from behind the CF wall to the pool in LF. We laugh and cheer. The end.
                            Last edited by BigGameFish; 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Aheheahehaehahea

That thing looks like a fuckin pachinko machine. Yeah, I went there.

Comment

It looks like something out of Its A Small World.

Comment

Working...
                                X