Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Miss Out on Chapman Sweepstakes; Pitcher Signs with Reds

The Marlins have also sent a representative to Houston to check out free agent left-hander Arolis Chapman on Tuesday afternoon.
    Marlins vice president of player personnel Dan Jennings is heading down for the workout. The budget-conscious Fish probably won't even make a bid on the highly touted 21-year-old Cuban defector, but it certainly doesn't hurt to look. The Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Astros, Rangers, Orioles and Athletics are also expected to attend Chapman's short throwing session.
    Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Related: Angels, Orioles, Red Sox, Marlins, Yankees

Why waste the plane fare? Loria could use that money to buy himself and Samson a lunch.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I might be heading to Houston later this week. I should check out this guy's stuff. I don't have enough money to sign him, nor do I have a baseball team to employ him on, but I have about the same chance of signing him as the fish so I might as well see what's got too.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

If I knew where he was throwing, I could go check him out.

Comment

Why even report this news then?

Comment

This regime hasn't made a big money signing in the international market, but from what I understand their interest in Chapman is legit. Jennings being dispatched to watch him throw speaks to that. It's still a long way from signing him, especially since the Marlins don't figure to remain in the hunt long if Chapman's price escalates too high. ESPN's Jorge Arangure last week from the winter meetings estimated Chapman would sign for around $20 million. He reported this week that the Red Sox made a $15.5 million offer before Chapman switched his representation to Houston-based Randy and Alan Hendricks.
            Sun Sentinel
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

20 years 20mil get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                Sun Sentinel
                Wonder how many years, probably 3 yrs 15.5 Mil

Comment

So we have 2 options

#1 Loria sent Jennings to take some pictures and then he is gonna PAY someone famous to paint him a picture for Loria's collection Instead of paying a guy 20 million to pitch we will pay a guy 3 million to paint him

#2 Jennings is gonna tell him we have a great Cuban fan base and we love you but we cant afford 2 million dollars.Then through a translator Chapman will say 20 million and Jennings will say I meant that.

What a waste of time

Comment

Zing!
                    poop

Comment

u showed them WHO is boss

Comment

So basically if he ends up looking bad and the big boys back off, then we might have a chance.

Comment

April Fools?

Comment

Yeah, this doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would they even entertain the idea of signing someone to a big contract at this point without Johnson being signed long-term? And this guy, with no MLB track record? And we don't give out long-term contracts to pitchers generally? I think Jennings just wanted a vacation.

Comment

Maybe it's a crappy way of showing the fan base the organization is at least interested in this supposedly very good Cuban pitcher and we might try to get him. I don't know, I'm probably way off.

Comment

Working...
                              X