Rangers Expressing Interest in Jorge Cantu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers Expressing Interest in Jorge Cantu

Rangers showing strong interest in Cantu — 10:16 p.m.

The Rangers have strong interest in Marlins infielder Jorge Cantu, one major league source said Tuesday night.

Texas would like to upgrade its infield with a right-handed hitter such as Cantu. He batted .289 this year with 16 home runs and 100 RBIs, with most of his at-bats coming as a first baseman.

The Rangers could offer Florida a starting pitcher in return. Kevin Millwood is available but will earn $12 million next year — far too much to fit into the Marlins' budget unless they make a number of moves.

Brandon McCarthy would be a more realistic target for Florida. He will earn around $1 million in 2010 and is available on the trade market, another source said.

McCarthy was limited by injuries to only 22 starts over the past two seasons. He went 8-5 with a 4.53 ERA during that span.

McCarthy, 26, has had two stays on the disabled list because of stress fractures in his right shoulder blade. -- Jon Paul Morosi
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10491164

I like the idea of Brandon McCarthy and maybe a (C) prospect for Jorge Cantu alot.
    Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM.

Cantu for McCarthy would be a yes

Comment

a big yes

then maybe we can keep uggla or something
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I would see us doing this instead

Texas trades Millwood to Baltimore for David Hernandez and Brandon Erbe

and then

Texas trades David Hernandez and another prospect for Cantu

Hernandez is one of the arms we were talking to Baltimore about in a Uggla deal

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

and then

wouldn't mind that either, especially if it meant keeping uggla.

do you think if we move pinto/lindstrom/cantu we can hang onto uggs?
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

and then

If the other arms aren't Arrieta or Britton I would be pissed. (Talking about Uggla)

Comment

Originally posted by LocoMarlinFan View Post
              If the other arms aren't Arrieta or Britton I would be pissed. (Talking about Uggla)
              Was Arrieta,Britton then I think then went down to Pie,Britton,Hernandez to eventually 0

I know tho that Texas asked for Hernandez and Erbe for Millwood

Comment

Was Arrieta,Britton then I think then went down to Pie,Britton,Hernandez to eventually 0

I know tho that Texas asked for Hernandez and Erbe for Millwood
                I would have creamed my pants if we would have gotten Arrieta and Britton for Uggla.

As for Millwood

According to sources, the Rangers originally asked for Orioles right-hander David Hernandez and a lower-level prospect in return for Millwood. The Rangers also agreed to pick up about $3 million of the $12 million owed to the veteran pitcher for the 2010 season, the final one on Millwood's contract.
                I would say Erbe is like a (B) or (B-) prospect and better than D.Hernandez

Comment

Ya heard it was Hernandez and 2nd tier pitching prospect which in Baltimore is an Erbe

1st Tier
                  Tillman
                  Arrieta
                  Britton

But who knows?? LOL

Comment

I don't get why you guys would want McCarthy. He can't stay healthy and has not even come close to living up to expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                      I don't get why you guys would want McCarthy. He can't stay healthy and has not even come close to living up to expectations.
                      Plus costs 1 mil. That's why I said Hernandez cheap,young and pitched decent for Balt

Comment

Who fills in at 3rd if Cantu is gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                          Who fills in at 3rd if Cantu is gone?
                          Eric Hinske/Chad Tracy

Comment

probably a cheap veteran fa signing

or they could try putting coghlan there if we hang onto uggla but i doubt that happens (either of those things)

seems pretty definite that gaby will never sniff third or i'd say him

Comment

or boner
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Working...
                              X