Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

His Name is Trade Bait (Dan Uggla Trade Talk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uggla doesn't fit in the Twins' budget, and Shooter Hunt's a shitty prospect to center the package around.

Comment

• Might just be me, but I dont think you are going to get any real big time prospects to center a deal for Uggla. I see it as more of a Castillo type deal, where you got a few decent prospects but no true centerpiece.

That said, Burnett could slide into the bullpen as early as the upcoming season, Dinkelman could be organizational depth or even compete for the 2B job or a bench job in spring training(he is 25 but his career line is decent), and Tindall is going to be a good catching prospect IMO(he only fell to 17th because of a strong college commitment), and the organization lacks young catching depth. Hunt would just be filler with hopes he can turn potential into something more.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• If you can't get anything worthwhile for him, that means he's worth more to us than anyone else and we should just hold on to him for a few more months when teams want a bat around July 25th

Comment

• I dont think even at the deadline you are going to get a blockbuster deal, but who knows.
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
            I dont think even at the deadline you are going to get a blockbuster deal, but who knows.
            I'd say in general, teams are more likely to overpay in July than in January

Comment

• Yeah, at this point, anyone getting traded is going to bring more in season than he will right now; unless the player is a strong breeze away from falling completely apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                I'd say in general, teams are more likely to overpay in July than in January
                True, but I dont think there will be a substantial difference between what you get now or in July for Uggla.

When the high mark is a mediocre 27 year old pitcher straight up, I dont think it will get that much better.
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

• If Robinsono Cano goes down with an injury or any other 2B in baseball, Uggla gets vaulted to the top of the list of available 2B.

It's beyond smart to wait till July at this point

Also easier to afford Uggla for 2-3 months as opposed to 5-6

Comment

• I'd say that any time the word "overpay" is used, the difference is substantial, and if a team is more likely to "overpay" then, rather than now, it stands to reason, the difference will be substantial.

Comment

• We shall see. I guess it depends on what the outside value of Uggla would be. But to me, like I said(and hate to be repetitive) if the best offer so far is Jonathan Sanchez, while offers are likely to get better, I just dont see how they will get that much better.
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                        We shall see. I guess it depends on what the outside value of Uggla would be. But to me, like I said(and hate to be repetitive) if the best offer so far is Jonathan Sanchez, while offers are likely to get better, I just dont see how they will get that much better.
                        I don't know if it's really a matter of J. Sanchez value not being good enough, or the fact that he is already in his arbitration years and will earn significant dollars in the next couple years. I think the Marlins would prefer someone who has not hit the Majors yet or has very little service time so that they can keep them around for a few years a cheap price.

Comment

• On another front, one baseball man who recently spoke with the Marlins said it's looking more and more like Dan Uggla will start the season in Florida. The arbitration-eligible Uggla would take a huge bite out of what is expected to be a $40 million payroll. Uggla staying could mean the Marlins start taking calls on Jorge Cantu, who as a fifth-year, arbitration-eligible player also is due a huge raise.
                          "Still in the game" for Chapman; Uggla to stay put?
                          --------------------
                          I definitely think Uggla will start the season with us. San Francisco was probably the most likely destination for him but I highly doubt they are going to want to deal any starters with Randy Johnson announcing his retirement today.
                          Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Totally cool with that. Hopefully EB doesn't win 3B. Again.

Bolded guys are relatively locked salary.

C John Baker $415,000
                            1B Gaby Sanchez $405,000
                            2B Chris Coghlan $410,000
                            3B Jorge Jimenez $405,000
                            SS Hanley Ramirez $7,000,000

LF Dan Uggla $7,500,000
                            CF Cameron Maybin $405,000
                            RF Cody Ross $4,200,000
                            B Emilio Bonifacio $415,000
                            B Wes Helms $950,000
                            B Ronny Paulino $1,100,000
                            B Brett Carroll $415,000

B Veteran 1B/3B Bat $750,000

SP Josh Johnson $4,500,000
                            SP Ricky Nolasco $3,800,000
                            SP Andrew Miller $2,000,000
                            SP Chris Volstad $415,000
                            SP Sean West $415,000

RP Leo Nunez $2,000,000
                            RP Dan Meyer $415,000
                            RP Brian Sanches $415,000
                            RP Burke Badenhop $415,000
                            RP Rick Vanden Hurk $415,000
                            RP Hunter Jones/Tank $410,000

SP/RP Anibal Sanchez $1,200,000

$40,770,000

To trade - Cantu, Pinto

Assuming I am over estimating $100-200k on Uggla, Johnson, Ross, Nunez, Anibal, and giving a few less dollars to a veteran 1B/3B, this should be about a $40 million team.

I'm into it. As long as that veteran 1B/3B type is alright, we'd be fine. Hopefully Cantu/Pinto can be traded somewhere for a nice young pitcher. San Francisco would probably be all over this for Runzler. I remember Texas asking about him too, and probably Baltimore would like him for some 1B/3B/DH depth.

Comment

• On another front, one baseball man who recently spoke with the Marlins said it's looking more and more like Dan Uggla will start the season in Florida.
                              LOL. You don't say?

Comment

• Uggla <3

Comment

Working...
                                X