Marlins Add 5 Guys to the 40 Man Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Add 5 Guys to the 40 Man Roster

Marlins select 5 to 40-man roster: RH Jose Ceda, RH Jay Buente, RH Brett Sinkbeil, RH Kris Harvey & OF Scott Cousins. Roster now at 40

via Twitter
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...finalized.html

The Marlins have finalized their 40-man roster ahead of next month's Rule 5 Draft at the Winter Meetings. They used all five available spots in adding right-handers Jose Ceda, Jay Buente, Brett Sinkbeil and Kris Harvey, and outfielder Scott Cousins.

The Marlins opted to leave outfielder John Raynor and right-hander Graham Taylor, among others, exposed. Teams that make a selection in the major league phase of the draft must carry that player on their major league roster. If they choose not to, they must offer the player back to his original club for half of the $50,000 draft price.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Logan didn't have to be protected?

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
        Logan didn't have to be protected?
        You have to imagine he did not have to be. There is no possible way there is that big of an oversight. The question is why wasn't he eligible as a 2005 draftee. I'm guessing because Logan was technically a draft and follow (drafted like normal, didn't sign, goes to a JUCO - in Logan's case Maple Woods Comm. College, and then the Marlins sign him before the next year's draft). This rule was abolished in 2007, but I guess it is not retroactive for the few guys left from the 2005-2006 drafts. This would technically make Logan a "2006 signing," making him 40 man material next year with the other 2006 high school players.

I guess we're also pretty confident Winters sneaks through.

Comment

Yeah, I'm assuming he didn't have to be protected. I'm just wondering why.

I remember a few years ago when there was a question about West, and the Marlins left him unprotected, and for a little while everyone was all like "WTF? Did they just massively fuck up, or were we wrong about West needing to be protected?"

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
            Yeah, I'm assuming he didn't have to be protected. I'm just wondering why.

I remember a few years ago when there was a question about West, and the Marlins left him unprotected, and for a little while everyone was all like "WTF? Did they just massively fuck up, or were we wrong about West needing to be protected?"
            Yea I remember that problem. MLB has recently changed a lot of rules - giving an extra year of protection in the minors to players. West birthday was mid July or something, prompting a "did the marlins fuck up by 1 day issue?" Obviously they didn't and the analysis is very basically, year the contract is signed is going to determine when they have to be placed on the 40. This Logan thing, if my draft/follow theory is correct, also supports the year of contract thing. As all of 2005 draftees need to be on the 40 by the technical definition. But signing the contract in 2006 out of JUCO? That makes it a bit different.

Hopefully through the process of these random transactions, one day we'll actually get these 40 man and other predictions right. We were pretty close this year.

Comment

Harvey

Comment

Also, this is going to make things interesting when we start trading dudes. If we start 2-1 things for Uggla, we're going to have to DFA people or immediately before do 1-1 trades with Amezaga and Pinto for nominal A ball prospects to clear 40 man space. Or we just start axing dudes like C. Martinez.

Comment

I was kinda hoping when I clicked this thread that we added Five Guy's Burgers and Fries, but I guess you can never have enough pitchers(this applies to both pitchers of beer tonight at Grog and on the Marlins)
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Grog is among the worst places in the world. I gon hate you for the next four minutes

Comment

Start axing guys like Martinez,Hunter Jones(Not till after ST) and Jai.Can always put Ceda on the 60 Day to Open up another spot.Amezaga will probably be dealt for low A player

Graham has a good chance on getting thru however John Raynor probably will be gone,teams love that 25th guy who can play a decent OF and can run.

Very surprised that Kyle Winters was not protected unless was no need to. Still injured??Not Eligible?? Anyone know

I do like the Sinkbeil addition tho.He still could be a nice arm out of the pen

Comment

Winters is eligible, I'm guessing they can sneak him from the injury. Graham also cleared waivers before, so it's likely he'll do it again. No one cares about junkball crafty lefties. I also agree Raynor is likely gone.

But I think you're crazy if you think they're going to DFA Jones after trading Hermida for him. They obviously like him to some extent, whether we agree or not. He's going to be given every shot and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                          Winters is eligible, I'm guessing they can sneak him from the injury. Graham also cleared waivers before, so it's likely he'll do it again. No one cares about junkball crafty lefties. I also agree Raynor is likely gone.

But I think you're crazy if you think they're going to DFA Jones after trading Hermida for him. They obviously like him to some extent, whether we agree or not. He's going to be given every shot and then some.

I am 99% sure they WONT DFA just saying if after ST they dont like what they see and need a spot. A LOOGY is no good if they cant get out lefties. They can DFA him

Ya Winters still must be recovering from injury. But Raynor is gone

Who else wishes they would have just made Harvey a RP when we drafted him instead of letting him hit nothing for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                            You have to imagine he did not have to be. There is no possible way there is that big of an oversight. The question is why wasn't he eligible as a 2005 draftee. I'm guessing because Logan was technically a draft and follow (drafted like normal, didn't sign, goes to a JUCO - in Logan's case Maple Woods Comm. College, and then the Marlins sign him before the next year's draft). This rule was abolished in 2007, but I guess it is not retroactive for the few guys left from the 2005-2006 drafts. This would technically make Logan a "2006 signing," making him 40 man material next year with the other 2006 high school players.

I guess we're also pretty confident Winters sneaks through.
                            Do players get waivers on protection status if they have been injured?
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Don't think Winters needs protected until next year. He was drafted as a high school player. Sinkbeil was a college guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X