Hanley Wins Second Silver Slugger Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanley Wins Second Silver Slugger Award

These were announced today. I would post a link but it's hard to do from my phone.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=fla
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Hanley wins second Silver Slugger
      All-Star shortstop is third Marlin to win the award twice

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Switching spots in the batting order didn't change the Silver Slugger Award results for National League shortstops.

complete awards coverage

On Thursday, Hanley Ramirez was announced as a repeat winner of the Silver Slugger Award.

Primarily a leadoff hitter his first three seasons, Ramirez was moved into the No. 3 spot in the Marlins' order. He produced big numbers that earned him another major honor.

Presented by Louisville Slugger, the official bat of Major League Baseball, Silver Slugger Awards are given to each position in both leagues. Managers and coaches select the winners.

For the second successive month, Ramirez was singled out by Louisville Slugger.

In October, the 25-year-old won the Silver Bat Award, presented to the batting champions in both leagues. Ramirez's .342 average paced the NL, while Joe Mauer of the Twins, who hit .365, was the American League winner.

Ramirez is the first NL shortstop since Dick Groat of the Pirates in 1960 to win a batting title.

"Nothing surprises me about this guy," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said a few days before the regular season ended. "With this guy, the sky is the limit. I think we're just reaching the tip of the iceberg on him. Everybody talks about his offense, but how about his defense? His numbers have improved tremendously."

While Ramirez wasn't a Gold Glove Award winner, he did make great strides in the field as well in 2009. He had 10 errors after committing 22 in '08.

Thursday's award is yet another in a growing list of accomplishments for Ramirez, who is expected to finish in the top five in the NL MVP Award voting later this month.

Already established as one of the elite players in the game, Ramirez has now won back-to-back Silver Slugger Awards. The last Marlin to do so was Miguel Cabrera (2005-06).

Ramirez is the first Marlin to win the batting title, and he is the only player in franchise history to be voted in as an All-Star starter in two consecutive years. In 2006, he was also the NL Rookie of the Year.

Ramirez posted a .542 slugging percentage and a .410 on-base percentage. He belted 24 home runs, and for the first time in his career, he topped the century mark in RBIs (106).

Ramirez added 101 runs scored. Even though he had a career low in stolen bases, he still paced the Marlins with 27 in that category.

The only other NL shortstop with numbers to seriously challenge Ramirez for the Silver Slugger Award was Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies.

Tulowitzki had more home runs (32) and a higher slugging percentage (.552) than Ramirez. The Colorado shortstop also matched Ramirez's 101 runs scored, but he drove in fewer runs (92), and his batting average was .297.

In their history, the Marlins have received seven Silver Slugger Awards. Three players, however, have accomplished the feat twice.

Gary Sheffield is the other two-time winner, collecting Silver Slugger Awards as an outfielder for Florida in 1993 and '96.

Mike Lowell won the award as a third baseman in 2003.

When Cabrera won in back-to-back years, he did so at two different positions. In 2005, he was an outfielder, and in '06, he won at third base.

Ramirez was named the Silver Slugger winner in 2008, with 33 home runs and a .540 slugging percentage.

"We moved him from first to third," Gonzalez said. "He has put up as solid an all-around year that I've seen from anybody. I'd be surprised if he's not in the top three in the [MVP] voting."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
      /One step further

Comment

Wow I didn't even realize he only had 10 errors. That's ridiculous.
        Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

So Hanley cared?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
            So Hanley cared?
            he definitely wasn't scared.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
            X