Frisaro: 2010 Payroll Will Be ~$36 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frisaro: 2010 Payroll Will Be ~$36 Million

For years, the Marlins have shown they can remain competitive while spending carefully.

They will be continuing that trend in 2010.

Payroll for the upcoming season will be in the neighborhood of $36 million, or slightly lower.

In 2009, the Marlins finished second in the N.L. East, winning 87 games with a $36 million roster. So expect salaries to again to be in that range.

Hanley Ramirez will enter the second season of his six-year contract. The National League's batting champ will make $7 million in '10 after he just collected $5.5 million.

Because a number of key players are up for arbitration, player movement is inevitable. On Thursday, outfielder Jeremy Hermida was dealt to the Red Sox for two left-handed pitching prospects.

Hermida made $2.25 million in '09, and he will see his salary raise.

The General Managers' meetings begin on Monday, and the Marlins expect to be active in trade talks.

Dan Uggla, who made $5.35 million this year, will likely see he salary raise to the $7 million range. Anticipate Uggla to attract plenty of trade interest.

Jorge Cantu ($3.5 million in '09) may also be shopped. Indications are Cody Ross will be back.

Look for the Marlins to allocate their dollars towards pitching. Josh Johnson ($1.4 million in '09) is expected to be offered a long term contract. However, preliminary discussions on a multiyear deal have not begun. They could get underway this week.

Johnson's 2010 salary, even if he signs a long-term contract, could be about $4 million.

Ricky Nolasco made $2.4 million this year, and likely is headed to a $3 million pay day.

The Marlins also will have to make decisions regarding relievers Leo Nunez, Renyel Pinto and Matt Lindstrom. All three are entering arbitration for the first time. All three could be targets to be moved.

-- Joe Frisaro
    http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv..._for_2010.html

Now it's Frisaro, so take it for what it's worth...but that's still disconcerting news and would severely harm any chances at being competitive next year unless EVERYTHING goes right.

Cheap motherfuckers.

You couldn't put together a good Little League team with $36 million.

Comment

Less is more!

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
        Cheap motherfuckers.

You couldn't put together a good Little League team with $36 million.
        The 2008 Marlins say hi.

Also, this story attributes nothing.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          The 2008 Marlins say hi.

You attribute nothing

Comment

Yeah, Frisario's reasoning seems to be "The Marlins had a payroll of $36 mil in 2009 and did well, so they'll have that same payroll again because I think that makes sense." It's not like he gives a source, even one of those always fun "sources close to the organization."

Comment

The 2008 Marlins say hi.

You couldn't put the 2008 Marlins together again for $36 million. How about that one

Comment

Originally posted by wanks1212 View Post
                Yeah, Frisario's reasoning seems to be "The Marlins had a payroll of $36 mil in 2009 and did well, so they'll have that same payroll again because I think that makes sense." It's not like he gives a source, even one of those always fun "sources close to the organization."
                I bet he was on a message board the other night at 4 am and told his e-friends "AH SHIT I GOT A PAPER DUE IN THE MORNING, IMA PULL AN ALL NIGHTER AND DRINK A BEER!"

Comment

You couldn't put the 2008 Marlins together again for $36 million. How about that one
                  Well, the 2008 Marlins were put together for 36 million. So to say you can't put together a little league team for 36 million is incorrect. We also did it in 2007 and 2006.

But I'd be shocked if the payroll is as low as 36 million. This article literally says nothing.
                  poop

Comment

You know what suck my fucking ass. You know what I was going for when I made that statement. You playing dumb is really fucking tired.
                    Last edited by Party; 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I mean I consider this about as reliable as the "Marlins are gon offer Chapman" rumor. And it's especially good because the idea of offering Chapman and then going with a $36 million payroll makes no fucking sense.

Comment

Isn't the league average just short of $100 million, and yet we're a bunch of cheap misers.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

You're a misanthrope

Comment

You know what suck my fucking ass. You know what I was going for when I made that statement. You playing dumb is really fucking tired.

Also:

/giveafuckbay
                            poop

Comment

So to say you can't put together a little league team for 36 million is incorrect.
                              I will continue to believe that it is impossible to have a little league team for $36M until I see it happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X