No announcement yet.

Logan Morrison, 1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logan Morrison is day-to-day after fouling a ball off his foot in the eighth inning last night, and is being held out of the starting lineup tonight.
    Banged up

That's what I thought. He was limping around pretty bad after he hit his foot and really didn't run that hard on a groundout and then he was replaced in the field. If he's day-to-day, hopefully it's not too bad.

Comment

I swear he has more fouled-off-his-body and collision-with-a-runner injuries than anyone I've ever seen ever ever
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah, the ball hit off his foot was actually the second ball that hit him yesterday. He was hit in the right thigh by a pitch and was rolling around the home plate area a few innings earlier. I honestly was surprised that he stayed in after he hit his foot. He limped back to the plate to finish his AB.

Comment

Logan Morrison was back in left field for Triple A New Orleans on Friday, continuing to fuel speculation that the Marlins could be grooming him for that position if either Cantu or Dan Uggla is traded and Chris Coghlan moves to the infield.

But there has been no outward indication at the major-league level that such a move is imminent.

Coghlan said he has not taken any ground balls in the infield since the start of spring training. For that matter, Coghlan doesn't even own an infielder's glove, adding that he gave away the ones he used in the minors after converting to the outfield.

As for making another transition, Coghlan said: ``I think it's easier going from the infield to the outfield than it is the other way.''
          http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/1...#ixzz0u2cSWtK2
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

He's heeeeeeeeeeeere.

Comment

Ailing father travels to see Florida Marlins' Morrison play
              Logan Morrison's father fulfilled a dream by watching his son -- a Marlins rookie -- in the majors.
              NEW YORK -- The first question out of Tom Morrison's mouth when physicians broke the news April 17 that he was suffering from an incurable form of lung cancer wasn't ``How long do I have to live?'' It was, ``Am I going to be around long enough to see my son get his first big-league hit?''

Logan Morrison was with his father when he received the diagnosis and began sobbing instantly. Sitting inside the visitor's dugout at Citi Field on Wednesday, Tom Morrison and his son Logan, a rookie left fielder for the Marlins, were reduced to tears retelling the story to reporters.

``This tells me what he thinks of me,'' Tom Morrison said as he watched his only child, a major-leaguer, choke up.

Tom Morrison was unable to witness Logan's first major-league hit, a single on July 27 in San Francisco, in person.

``I was in the hospital and almost died twice,'' Tom Morrison said. ``Physically I couldn't go anywhere. I was in the hospital most of the summer and spring.''

But doctors granted him permission to travel to New York City to see his son play in the Mets series. Wednesday was Logan's 23rd birthday. There was only one caveat: Because of the nature of the illness, doctors told Tom Morrison he could not fly.

So he took a 29-hour train ride from Slidell, La., arriving in time to see his son in a big-league uniform for the first time. In order to be as close to his son as possible, Tom Morrison sat in the stands down the left-field line, not too far from where Logan stood in the outfield. Around the sixth inning or so, Logan looked up, spotted his father, and waved.

``I know it means a lot to him just to come see me play,'' Logan said. ``I know how much it means to him. He told me today it was surreal to see me play.''

BATTING PRACTICE

Logan Morrison recalled the many nights when his father would grab a big bucket of baseballs and throw batting practice to him. Tom Morrison said his goal wasn't to turn his son into a major-leaguer. It was simply to provide recreation.

``He threw me 100 baseballs a day, every day during the summer,'' Logan Morrison said of his early childhood years. ``And every day during the winter, we'd go inside and do it, too. He'd throw until his arm fell off.''

Morrison was a 22nd-round draft pick in 2005 but blossomed quickly into one of the hottest young prospects in the Marlins farm system. He showed up at spring training in February with a chance to make the big club but lost a position battle for the Marlins' first base job to Gaby Sanchez and was sent to Triple A New Orleans.

Soon after the start of the season, Tom Morrison -- a nonsmoker -- was diagnosed with stage-four lung cancer, which Logan said has since spread to his father's brain. There were many times when Tom Morrison, a member of the U.S. Coast Guard and former football player at the University of Kansas, wasn't sure he would get to see his son in the majors.

Now he said he hopes to see his son play as often as his condition allows, even it means long, overnight train rides. He has already circled his calendar for the first weekend of October when the Marlins close out the regular season against the Pirates in South Florida.

``It's just nice being able to sit in the park and watching him,'' Tom Morrison said. ``It's probably the best recreation I have.''

BIRTHDAY PARTY

After Wednesday's game, the Morrisons and other family members planned to celebrate Logan's birthday. Tom Morrison had a gift picked out for his son, but refused to reveal what it was until the party.

Logan Morrison confided to reporters that he also planned to surprise his father with a gift: the baseball he swatted for his first big-league hit, the one Tom Morrison wasn't sure he would ever get to see. Logan Morrison has been carrying it around in his suitcase for a month.

``I'm going to give it to him [Wednesday night],'' he said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/2...#ixzz0xifSddHq
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Great story...go LoMo!

Comment

anonymous scout:

• On Logan Morrison: "This guy is going to be a really good baseball player. He really knows the strike zone. He uses the whole field. He really stays in against left-handers. He hits like he's been in the league for five or six years."
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...mblings1000909

Comment

Hoping that power comes and those gap shots become HR's. Is there any other outfield in the majors with as much potential as the Marlins?

Comment

Logan Morrison Is Good Too

by R.J. Anderson - September 9, 2010

Before his unfortunate knee injury, Carlos Santana was on top of the rookie world. Through 192 plate appearances, his wOBA sat at .382 — an impressive number for a 24-year-old backstop. Logan Morrison is not a catcher. Nor is Morrison 24 (he will not be in his 24-year-old season until 2012), but through his first 176 plate appearances, he holds a .404 WOBA.

Morrison is posting that number through a strong walk rate (15.3%), a fair walk-to-strikeout ratio (0.87), some power (.176 ISO despite a 2.8% HR/FB), and an inflated BABIP (.397). He’s not as young or hyped as Jason Heyward or Starlin Castro, but prorating his WAR to date through 500 plate appearances – admittedly not a perfect science and one used purely for narrative purposes – results in a four-win season; not too shabby for someone lost in the Marlins’ season.

Oddly, Morrison is not without his own injury misadventure, making him a nice fit next to Heyward, Santana, and that injured rookie pitching phenom. Over the weekend, Morrison took a foul ball to the face – an injury that sounds painful and looked worse – but he missed almost no time because of it. Clearly there are only three explanations for this: 1) he has a face of steel; 2) he is the Terminator; 3) there is only one explanation: that being that both are true.

The only blemish on Morrison’s season to date is his defensive play, although that’s a bit harsh given the circumstances. Entering this year, he’d seen all of two games in the outfield, and he played in only 19 games in the minors before replacing the injured Chris Coghlan as the everyday left fielder. Gaby Sanchez has played well enough to keep his job, but Morrison is doing his part to ensure that both are in the lineup on a daily basis.
                      http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...n-is-good-too/
                      fangraphs
                      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        Hoping that power comes and those gap shots become HR's. Is there any other outfield in the majors with as much potential as the Marlins?
                        None. The upside is just silly.

Comment

unfortunately so is the downside

Comment

Every outfield has downside, even ones that aren't young and/or don't have Cameron Maybin. Our outfield is ridiculous.
                            poop

Comment

Given what LoMo is showing, and CC has shown, I'm really coming around on the reinvented Cameron "7-hole" Maybin.

He looks like a .775 OPS in most years with .850 upside. With his speed and ability to play CF, that's a valuable player. Certainly not what we thought we were getting but better than it looked as recently as May.

That plus what look to be two perennial All-Stars in Stanton and Logan have me LOVE our OF; though I think I would like Logan more at 1B.

Comment

I love what LoMo is doing but for some reason I would rather have Gaby back batting second, where he did well, and have LoMo in the middle of the order behind Stanton. Logan's power is going to come. Probably 20 a year, give or take a few. Am I the only one who kinda wants this? (Cogs, Gaby, H2R, Uggla Stanton, LoMo, Maybin, C, P)
                                Last edited by Miamarlin21; 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X