No announcement yet.

Logan Morrison, 1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cody plays RF and Cogs plays CF. Duh. Didn't you read the article about it?

Comment

I'm not sure it would work but if lomo keeps hitting and Stanton doesn't does it force the marlins' hand?
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        I'm not sure it would work but if lomo keeps hitting and Stanton doesn't does it force the marlins' hand?
        Not when we trade Cantu.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          Not when we trade Cantu.
          Or Uggla or the entire roster that doesnt make the minimum and is not named JJ and Hanley.

Comment

well if we go into sell mode it's one thing. give stanton the ABs no problem. but if we're still trying to compete (which we were as of 3 days ago apparently) something needs to be done
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I think Stanton will come around soon, he's a 20 year old kid trying to adjust to the majors, and he will soon, Mike is really smart and always open to learning, that is one of the reasons why he is up at the major league level. I do however agree in trading uggla, shifting Cogz to 2nd and LoMo to LF, if LoMo comes up raking the ball, and Stanton starts adjusting, this could be a very scary lineup

Comment

Through 219 plate appearances, Logan's ground ball rate is 51%. Logan is not a speedster. This is a problem.

Logan's not going to maintain that .360 BABIP in the majors if his GB rate is anywhere near 50%, and his average is going to drop from the .324 it is in AAA right now. He may still hit for power when he puts the ball in the air, but he's not doing that nearly enough. He'll still walk a bit, although not as much as he does now when pitchers attack him more because he's just beating the ball into the ground. But his GB rate is going to really, really hurt his chances of becoming the .850ish OPS player this team needs. It won't be impossible for him, because exceptions exist to the "if you're a slow guy with a ground ball rate around 50%, you're in trouble" rule, but the organization would be counting on Logan to be one of those exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Still think we owe it to ourselves to see a 2011 lineup that has Hanley, Uggla, Cogs, Stanton and LoMo in it.

The killer is we're committed to Cantu because our front office is stuck in 1973 and loves RBI and stolen bases.

Coghlan in the infield, Cantu gone and LoMo in left makes this team better, or at least more interesting.

Comment

It probably makes the team better, but you need to get something for Cantu first.

Otherwise you hold out and hope he rakes for 2.5 months to end the season and maintians Type B status.
                    poop

Comment

If it makes the team better, and we are not likely offering him arbitration anyway, does it really matter that much?

I'm not saying release him, but Cantu for a 7th inning arm and LoMo's roster spot is a huge win.

Comment

I'm actually in agreement with you, but I learned long ago that when what I want and what the team want as far as roster management goes don't match up, it's really not worth worrying about.

Cantu will be "fine", as in he's going to be back at around a .790 OPS before long. He's not this bad. Do I wish we didn't have to deal with it, or do I wish we'd trade him for anything of value and go young? Yeah.

But that won't happen for another 25 days at best, and really, what's the difference between dumping Cantu now or at the deadline?

Personally, despite the fact that I think the team is better than they've played this year, I'd just go young right now and see what we've got, and I think most people on this board would agree with me on that.

But I know that this board is not representative of our fan base as a whole.

And I also know that if they traded Cantu and Ross at the deadline to go young, dumb people on the radio would say they don't keep any of their good players when they get expensive.
                        poop

Comment

What has Morrison done lately?

In his last 10 games (29 abs):

.345 AVG, 1 HR, 12 BB, 2 K'S, .524 OBP, .483 SLG, 1.007 OPS

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=489149

Comment

Mike Stanton is to Homeruns as LoMo is to walks?

also .524 OBP makes me all happy inside...especially when its nearly 200 points above his average.

Comment

Brent (Appleton): Logan Morrison has more walks and a better average, but Freddie Freeman has more HR and 2B and is two years younger. What makes Morrison the better prospect?

John Manuel: The scouts that I have talked to like Morrison's bat a bit better. He does more than control the strike zone; he makes consistent hard contact, and he's showing some pop even coming off his shoulder injury. Also, Morrison's played a bit of left field this year, and one scout I talked to who had seen him do it thought it was a definite option. You can certainly make a case for Freeman between the two, but I think the bats are quite comparable, slight edge to Morrison, and Morrison's a bit more well-rounded. We made the comparison between the two last year as well, as the 1B wing men for Stanton and Heyward, and that has not changed.
                              Ryan (Michigan): Logan Morrison has nothing left to prove in the Minor Leagues. When can we expect to see him debut with the Marlins?

John Manuel: When Gaby Sanchez stops hitting, or when the Marlins decide to move Chris Coghlan back to the IF? It doesn't seem like there's an immediate opening.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610335.html

Comment

**Marlins prospect Logan Morrison has overcome an early-season shoulder injury and is currently hitting great for Triple-A New Orleans, .320/.428/.500 in 50 games with a strong 33/27 BB/K in 178 at-bats. I am planning a quick trip up to Des Moines for Sunday to see him play, which will probably mean that someone on the Marlins roster will get hurt this week and Morrison will be promoted to the majors. There are no holes in his numbers this year; he's hitting at home and on the road, against lefties and righties, strong month to month. PCL sources say that his bat looks ready for the majors right now, but the Marlins are still trying to figure out how he will fit into the lineup.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...-2010#comments

Sickels is also goingto see him live so some video and a piece on him perhaps sunday/monday?

Comment

Working...
                                X