2009-2010 Free Agent List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-2010 Free Agent List

Last edited by Party; 11-08-2009, 01:24 AM.

Very interested to see where Lackey and Beltre end up

Comment

Trade Cantu, bring back Delgado.

I'm only kind of joking...I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
        Trade Cantu, bring back Delgado.

I'm only kind of joking...I think.
        I think I'd rather have Beltre.
        poop

Comment

The thing is, someone's going to give Beltre 4 years. Delgado's going to be lucky to get a guaranteed deal when Abreu, coming off the kind of season he had, gets under $10 mil a season.

Comment

What about taking a flier on Duchscherer

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
              What about taking a flier on Duchscherer
              The FO thinks they have enough starting depth that they don't need to target starting pitching, at least not in free agency. I think.

I wouldn't be against it though.
              Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
              Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
              Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                The thing is, someone's going to give Beltre 4 years. Delgado's going to be lucky to get a guaranteed deal when Abreu, coming off the kind of season he had, gets under $10 mil a season.
                He got two years:

Bill Plunkett of the Orange Country Register reports that the Angels have re-signed Bobby Abreu to a two-year contract with a team option for 2012.
                No word yet on the money involved, but Abreu said that he's "very happy to sign this contract" after settling for a one-year, $6 million deal as a free agent last offseason. Nov. 5 - 3:03 pm et
                -Roto

Comment

Right, but he gets under $10 mil a season for each of those two years.

Comment

I was just following up your post.

Comment

/random but re: delgado

looking back on that trade

It's hard to really judge just how he did with the Mets. I mean, he put up a .857 OPS (Basically league average for a 1b) and barely played below average defense. Quite a drop in his expected mid 900 OPS but he wasn't horrible. But he was also marred by inconsistency and more than once his career was labeled "over", and he missed basically all of last season.

Just going by Fangraph's $$$, all in all he was worth 8.1 WAR in his 4 years, or 33.5 mil. He would make 56 mil, with the Mets paying 49 and us 7. So you could say the mets overpayed him by 15.5 mil. It's hard to really call it a loss on the Mets part though with the resources they have.

Meanwhile, Jacobs had a total of a 1.2 WAR over his 3 years, or +4.3 mil, while only making 1.1 mil. However, you then tack on that 7 mil from Delgado, that's now 8.1 mil, so Jacobs was -3.8 mil.

If you then look at the other spare parts from the trade, again just going by WAR, petit was -0.2 (-700k), which turned into Julio that was -0.5 (-2.1m), and Jacobs was turned into Nunez who was -0.8 (-3.5m). This is now a total of -10.1 mil on all parts the past 4 years.

Of coarse, Delgado would have a monster season for us, being worth 13.9 mil while only making 4 mil. Taking that into account, the net loss would only be -0.2 mil. But overall that was a failure of a contract and the parts it continues to bring in have hampered us.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                        /random but re: delgado

looking back on that trade

It's hard to really judge just how he did with the Mets. I mean, he put up a .857 OPS (Basically league average for a 1b) and barely played below average defense. Quite a drop in his expected mid 900 OPS but he wasn't horrible. But he was also marred by inconsistency and more than once his career was labeled "over", and he missed basically all of last season.

Just going by Fangraph's $$$, all in all he was worth 8.1 WAR in his 4 years, or 33.5 mil. He would make 56 mil, with the Mets paying 49 and us 7. So you could say the mets overpayed him by 15.5 mil. It's hard to really call it a loss on the Mets part though with the resources they have.

Meanwhile, Jacobs had a total of a 1.2 WAR over his 3 years, or +4.3 mil, while only making 1.1 mil. However, you then tack on that 7 mil from Delgado, that's now 8.1 mil, so Jacobs was -3.8 mil.

If you then look at the other spare parts from the trade, again just going by WAR, petit was -0.2 (-700k), which turned into Julio that was -0.5 (-2.1m), and Jacobs was turned into Nunez who was -0.8 (-3.5m). This is now a total of -10.1 mil on all parts the past 4 years.

Of coarse, Delgado would have a monster season for us, being worth 13.9 mil while only making 4 mil. Taking that into account, the net loss would only be -0.2 mil. But overall that was a failure of a contract and the parts it continues to bring in have hampered us.
                        Wasn't even aware the Marlins backloaded Delgado's contract so badly. In retrospect, it seemed like they were planning on trading him after that first year, with the way they split the salary.

Of course I totally agree with you. Slightly above average first baseman don't get paid the type of money he was paid, and losing this season to injury really damaged his value to the Mets. Of course, the Mets gave up so little in return in terms of talent that I don't think they felt the impact of how much they ended up overpaying Delgado.
                        Marlin Maniac, a Florida Marlins blog
                        Come attend Intro to Sabermetrics 101!
                        Writer, Beyond the Box Score

Comment

Originally posted by SFiercex4 View Post
                          Wasn't even aware the Marlins backloaded Delgado's contract so badly. In retrospect, it seemed like they were planning on trading him after that first year, with the way they split the salary.

Of course I totally agree with you. Slightly above average first baseman don't get paid the type of money he was paid, and losing this season to injury really damaged his value to the Mets. Of course, the Mets gave up so little in return in terms of talent that I don't think they felt the impact of how much they ended up overpaying Delgado.
                          Yeah, when details of the contract leaked they pretty much put it out there that if the stadium deal got done, they'd keep Delgado and if it didn't, he'd be traded. Also something about the Marlins covering any state/city taxes if he was traded to somewhere with a state income tax.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Melvin Mora, Jason Marquis, Randy Wolf

we need veterans starters
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Don't kid yourself sir. We won't be signing anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X