Hermida to Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swift View Post
    Both those guys play the wall very well, though. Hermida won't do that and he'll have the brain farts of the other two (and with the weakest arm of the three).
    I'm willing to give some leeway to Hermida as to learning to play the wall atleast at an average level if he plays there enough. He's not completely retarded... I think

Comment

He got manhandled by the teal tower and those balls just sort of bounce off, in Fenway he'll have to play a lot of crazy bounces because balls that are still on their way up smack off of it.

I mean, just going out on a limb, the Hermida strategy of "run to the warning track" on every ball off the wall isn't going to fly in Fenway.

Then again, I have real doubts he gets consistent starts in left, and, for that matter, that he even starts the season with Boston. Maybe I'm reading way too much into Epstein's comments, but it seems he's just grabbing value and hoping some team that has something he really wants likes Hermida too.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
        Then again, I have real doubts he gets consistent starts in left, and, for that matter, that he even starts the season with Boston. Maybe I'm reading way too much into Epstein's comments, but it seems he's just grabbing value and hoping some team that has something he really wants likes Hermida too.
        Which kinda again brings up him starting in AAA.

Imagine. He goes to AAA, he lights it up. How many teams gonna be beating their dicks to get ahold of him?

If he's sitting on the bench on ML I don't imagine he has any more value than he would now.

Of coarse there's also him going "wow I'm in AAA" and getting all depressed and sucking majorly and then being out of baseball before he turns 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
          Would you also have predicted he would "blow up" next year if he was still playing in FLA?
          Yes. At his age, yes. And even if he struggles again in 2010, I still say yes in 2011. The Red Sox, a really fucking smart franchise, validates this for me even more. I'm not that crazy. Other people like him too. Classic change of scenery here.

Comment

It will get a laugh out of me when Herms is playing in LF and a high fly ball goes towards him and he goes to the warming track only to see that ball hit like 15 ft over him off the monster and bounce back 20 ft in front of him. Good thing Jacoby is a fast dude because if Herms is going to play LF he'll need Jacoby over there quick.

Comment

Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames 2.0 View Post
              Hitters that play in PetCo?
              so what? All that does it take away HRs. You can still hit for average there with the right approach, look at David Wright this year. Why are we making excuses for Hermida? I dont get it. What has anyone seen in him?
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Ramp View Post
              I'm willing to give some leeway to Hermida as to learning to play the wall atleast at an average level if he plays there enough. He's not completely retarded... I think

haha.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
              I don't think next year will be when he figures it out (I prefer that term to 'blows up'), but in about 2 years I think he will be an above-average player. It can't hurt him to be around teammates that can exhibit leadership and tutelage, either.

this i can agree with. Being around that organization MAY help him. But the thought that he suddenly realizes all his potential and "blows up", no.
              Last edited by BigGameFish; 11-06-2009, 10:48 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                Yes. At his age, yes. And even if he struggles again in 2010, I still say yes in 2011. The Red Sox, a really fucking smart franchise, validates this for me even more. I'm not that crazy. Other people like him too. Classic change of scenery here.
                If he is going to figure it out next yer anyway, what does he need a classic change of scenery for? Why would a change of scenery be of any help when he is going to explode anyway? Also, I'd say the fact that you are willing to say that yes, next year he for sure explodes.... but if he doesnt.... the next year.... shows that you probably aren't so sure that he explodes or figures it all out or some other cliches next year.

Comment

They got decent Value for him at least.At the trade deadline 2 teams were offering NOTHING for him(Seattle offered a backup C in AAA)

Hunter Jones is a LOOGY who is ML ready and could put some pressure on Pinto and Alvarez looks like a decent pitcher and at 20 gives us some more pitching depth which we love

Comment

Working...
                  X