2020 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
    ASU wins 6-5. Torkelson 0-1 with 5 BBs (lol) 4 of them I think were intentional. He had 1 K, the only 2 times he made contact they were majestic bombs that just hooked foul. Nick Gonzales 0-3 with 2 BBs.

Gotta say, neither guy was impressive defensively. Gonzales made 3 errors at short, then with 2 outs in the 9th, and Gonzales up, Gonzales rips a grounder to the shortstop who makes a nice play, but then Torkelson just flat out drops the throw which allows the tying run to score. ASU won it in extras.
    Gonzales is 2B ONLY in ML which is reason Marlins would rather have Martin fall. Martin u could try at SS/3B and if issue u move him to 2B. Gonzales is pretty much Hiura(not saying thats bad thing) while Martin could be a Bregman type

As seen yesterday Miami already has moved Devers to 2B it looks like and Chris Torres should be at 2B as well. Gonzales has better bats than both(Well who knows about Devers)

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Gonzales is 2B ONLY in ML which is reason Marlins would rather have Martin fall. Martin u could try at SS/3B and if issue u move him to 2B. Gonzales is pretty much Hiura(not saying thats bad thing) while Martin could be a Bregman type

As seen yesterday Miami already has moved Devers to 2B it looks like and Chris Torres should be at 2B as well. Gonzales has better bats than both(Well who knows about Devers)
      By the numbers/physical attributes/SEC, I really like your Bregman comp for Austin Martin. If he could develop like Bregman, Martin would definitely be the right guy to draft.

Comment

torkelson seems like the perfect fit given need and ability for us. hopefully he's available. I think Jazz is a future star so i dont think martin is the greatest fit but id still just got BPA regardless every single year. I love lewin diaz but an andrew vaughn type guy like Torkelson would be perfect, although i think we made the right call with bleday last year. Draft the BPA and figure out the fit later. If lewin and him both turn out to be studs then thats a phenomenal problem to have. Either figure out a spot for both or trade from a position of strength. I love both and think they both have huge potential.

Comment

My dark horse for us at that #3 spot is Asa Lacy LHP from Texas A&M. Power lefty putting up huge strikeout #'s. Can never have too much pitching, and Lacy would look awfully nice in between righties Sixto and Cabrera in a rotation.

Comment

My dark horse for us at that #3 spot is Asa Lacy LHP from Texas A&M. Power lefty putting up huge strikeout #'s. Can never have too much pitching, and Lacy would look awfully nice in between righties Sixto and Cabrera in a rotation.
            Hard to go wrong with a lefty that continues to improve. Realistically, he should be available. I noticed that Austin Martin is getting some starts in CF.

Comment

They havent fallen in love with anyone if they do they would take 1 of them BUT alot in the system are looking at guys like Gonzales,Lacy,Ginn,others. The reason is $$$. If u can get a Gonzales,Lacy,Ginn for 1 Million or more below slot u can take guys who dropped later

Hancock probably signs for slot but Lacy or Ginn would take less. This draft is very college heavy at the top which means u could get something like LY where Misner fell to us or a few HS guys fall and Miami would love to get high end talent.

I wouldnt project ANY guy to us because it could come down to final day

As for Tork I highly doubt he gets to us because he is a perfect AL player and we have 2 AL teams ahead of us. If he does they still might be weary because he is 1B only. I love the bat myself and I would take Tork or Martin but would be surprised if Marlins went with Asa Lacy or JT Ginn and tried to float someone like Pete Crow-Armstrong(Was our #1 pick in first mock draft) or Patrick Bailey(C who was Top 5 pick LY) to us in Rd 2 and pay 1 overslot

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              Hard to go wrong with a lefty that continues to improve. Realistically, he should be available. I noticed that Austin Martin is getting some starts in CF.
              O he will be there. Tork is going with 1 of Top 2 picks so 1 of Martin,Hancock,Lacy,Ginn,Gonzales(College Guys) and Zac Veen,Jordan Walker,Mick Abel(Top HS Guys)

Rundown of HS Guys

Zac Veen-Riley Greene/Connor Scott/Kyle Tucker clone from FL
              Jordan Walker-6'5 215lb 3B
              Mick Abel-6'5 190lb arm from Oregon been best HS P for 2 years now

Comment

Nick Gonzales has three (3) more home runs .... so far ... today.

Comment

He ended up with 5 home runs in a doubleheader today. Playing a terrible team again but still unbelievable.

Comment

He ended up with 5 home runs in a doubleheader today. Playing a terrible team again but still unbelievable.
                    Yes, I dozed off before he hit two more ... 5 hr with 10 rbi for Gonzo. Because it's a small world, New Mexico State plays Texas A&M next weekend. They will face Asa Lacy on Friday night in front of close to ten thousand fans.

Note: While it's true that Nick has faced less than elite competition in smacking 12 homers in 12 games, it's also true that his teammates have faced the same pitching. They have homered a collective five times thus far. Gonzales has also been walked or hit by a pitch 18 times. *On Sunday, Gonzales ripped two singles before being intentionally walked three more times.
                    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-02-2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I honestly don't care about the draft. Looks like Gonzales is making this a "clear top 4."

Which is perfect as the Marlins don't need a stick only 1B.

Hancock, Martin, Gonzalez. All of them would be fantastic if their season production matches scouting pedigree.

Who cares about saving money to get a better "Mokma" or "Fitterer" or "Banfield" down the road. It's time to MAX OUT and take BPA with the first rounder this year.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                        I honestly don't care about the draft. Looks like Gonzales is making this a "clear top 4."

Which is perfect as the Marlins don't need a stick only 1B.

Hancock, Martin, Gonzalez. All of them would be fantastic if their season production matches scouting pedigree.

Who cares about saving money to get a better "Mokma" or "Fitterer" or "Banfield" down the road. It's time to MAX OUT and take BPA with the first rounder this year.
                        I agree on BPA, not sure I agree that it's a clear top 4. Even with Gonzales' unbelievable numbers, I have serious questions about him defensively. If he's not an adequate defensive 2nd baseman what is he? I also have concerns about the level of opponent NM State faces and how much that skews his numbers. Also, not totally sold on Hancock being clearly better than Asa Lacy, and Lacy is a lefty which makes him a little more attractive to me. Right now I think Martin and Torkelson are clearly 1-2, but I think there is more than just Gonzales and Hancock at play at #3.

Comment

I agree on BPA, not sure I agree that it's a clear top 4. Even with Gonzales' unbelievable numbers, I have serious questions about him defensively. If he's not an adequate defensive 2nd baseman what is he? I also have concerns about the level of opponent NM State faces and how much that skews his numbers. Also, not totally sold on Hancock being clearly better than Asa Lacy, and Lacy is a lefty which makes him a little more attractive to me. Right now I think Martin and Torkelson are clearly 1-2, but I think there is more than just Gonzales and Hancock at play at #3.
                          Sure, we'll see what happens. Whoever is the best ultimately. Best case for me is a college ACE (righty or lefty), and then a C, 3B, and lefty RP if that lines up as BPA next few picks.

Comment

absolutely just go BPA at this point unless there is a top level C talent available. We have talent at pretty much every position in the system so just go for whichever guy is the highest rated talent. By the time we draft as well we will also have another half year or so of results from the current minor league talent so we can adjust our strategy come draft time as things evolve over time.

Comment

JT Ginn who could've possibly been in play at #3 out for the year with Tommy John Surgery.

Comment

Asa Lacy K's Nick Gonzales on 3 pitches in the first, he also struck out the side in the 1st.

Comment

Working...
                                X