No announcement yet.

2018 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like college arms can be fast risers but a lot of times they can have limited ceilings. I think we should be going for the highest ceiling arm there is considering we have so many SP prospects with a high floor but low ceiling but no real surefire top of the rotation guy.

Comment

Doubtful we take Brady Singer if he is around at #13. He has been telling teams his price and its big. He might actually drop to KC because of it.

Likely options for us

Slot-Jackson Kowar/Ryan Rolison/McClanahan/Carter Stewart
      Below Slot-Trevor Larnach/Triston Casas/Xavier Edwards

Comment

Callis has a NEW mock out

https://www.mlb.com/news/college-pla...ft/c-276190214

Has us taking Triston Casas(multiple sites have us taking him). I would HATE the pick especially since he has Gilbert/Kowar/Rolison/Ethan Hankins/Carter Stewart still on the board. Would rather have another arm then HS bat that is 1 tool. Power stuck at 1B
        Last edited by tjfla; 05-12-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Eh if they believe in the bat go for it. I think we’d all agree Naylor was a good pick, that they gave him away is another thing. I’d really like them to take Carter Stewart though.

Btw Casas is actually a 3b and his defense there is quite good. Many scouts just think he’ll be to big to stick there. Maybe he’ll pull a Kris Bryant and not have to switch positions.
          Last edited by Ralph; 05-12-2018, 02:11 PM.
          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Ya, Naylor is actually a legit good prospect now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
              Eh if they believe in the bat go for it. I think we’d all agree Naylor was a good pick, that they gave him away is another thing. I’d really like them to take Carter Stewart though.

Btw Casas is actually a 3b and his defense there is quite good. Many scouts just think he’ll be to big to stick there. Maybe he’ll pull a Kris Bryant and not have to switch positions.
              He is 18 and 6'4 240. By 22/23 he will be 6'5 250-260-he won't be at 3B. If he was a contact bat with power I would say take the chance but he is like Naylor a power bat with some contact. Ranked in the mid 20's/tool is power and stuck at 1B.

I just don't think u could pass on a Carter Stewart/Kowar or Ryan Rolison if they are around at #13

Comment

New Fangraphs mock draft this morning.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...k-draft-v-2-0/

13. Miami Marlins – Jarred Kelenic, CF, Waukesha West HS (WI)
                The Marlins have been tied mostly to high-school players, with Edwards and Florida prep 1B Triston Casas both mentioned a lot and Winn also a possibility. The organization has also had heat at Liberatore and Weathers’ appeareances in the last couple weeks, but neither are likely to remain available this long. Florida prep SS Blaze Alexander is a target with Miami’s second pick.

With most of our offensive prospects already OFs (Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, Miller, Jones), I don't know if that they would opt for another one in the first round. I know it's all about just getting the best talent, but I think we'd go pitcher or INF unless the OF was just too a prospect to pass on.
                Last edited by fauowls44; 05-15-2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post

The Marlins have been tied mostly to high-school players, with Edwards and Florida prep 1B Triston Casas both mentioned a lot and Winn also a possibility. The organization has also had heat at Liberatore and Weathers’ appeareances in the last couple weeks, but neither are likely to remain available this long. Florida prep SS Blaze Alexander is a target with Miami’s second pick.

With most of our offensive prospects already OFs (Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, Miller, Jones), I don't know if that they would opt for another one in the first round. I know it's all about just getting the best talent, but I think we'd go pitcher or INF unless the OF was just too a prospect to pass on.
                  That list of our present prospects makes a compelling case to look for better outfielders.

Comment

New staff has done a great job on leaks but looks like finally coming out. Kelenic is NOT a need(like u said)but this kid could go in Top 5,I don't mind the pick because of talent but I would like a IF or P as well.

Looks like we are targeting HS guys however with Liberatore,Weathers,Kelenic,Gorman the TOP choices and Triston Casas,Cole Winn and Xavier Edwards as Below Slot Guys.

Not sure about Blaze Alexander with #2 pick(More Comfortable with him being out #2S Pick)however he can hit and can stick at SS which adds value

- - - - - - - - - -

I prefer us taking a College Guy(Kowar/Rolison/Larnach) however if guys like Liberatore,Weathers,Kelenic or Gorman are around at #13 I don't mind any of those picks. All have talent and are solid picks. Not as interested in Casas,Winn or Edwards however IF they sign for below slot and we use money in other areas of the draft I understand what they are doing

Looks like we are interested in HS guys and understand why. Batavia actually has a FULL Roster already with some talent so not much space for college guys

Batavia ALREADY

C-Barnes
                    1B-Reynolds/Encarnacion(OF)
                    2B-Nunez/Karas(UT)
                    SS-Torres/Sims
                    3B-Hollins
                    LF-Donadio/White/Brooks
                    CF-Hernandez
                    RF-Cespedes
                    Last edited by tjfla; 05-15-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                      Ya, Naylor is actually a legit good prospect now.
                      Incidentally, Naylor's little brother is in this draft. He's a catcher that could go in round 1.

Comment

New Keith Law mock draft out this morning:

13. Miami Marlins: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

The latest word around town is that Gary Denbo, the new VP of player development and scouting in Miami, has a lot of influence on this call, and was lukewarm on Oregon State outfielder Trevor Larnach, whom I had the Marlins taking in the previous mock.

This pick works for me.

Comment

New Keith Law mock draft out this morning:

13. Miami Marlins: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

The latest word around town is that Gary Denbo, the new VP of player development and scouting in Miami, has a lot of influence on this call, and was lukewarm on Oregon State outfielder Trevor Larnach, whom I had the Marlins taking in the previous mock.

This pick works for me.
                          Nice to see Keith Law got the memo that has been out since Dec 2017!! Denbo is running the draft and unlike the Trump WH or last FO leaks are pretty much patched up(Denbo runs a very tight ship-like 4 guys know what he is doing and thats it)

Marlins pick is going to be a mystery until Monday Night. I heard they were looking at College Arms like McClanahan/Rolison/Kowar however EVERY mock has or says the Marlins are looking at TOP HS guys who fall like Kelenic/Liberatore/Weathers/Gorman. So no clue what they do but I am fine with either strategy. I just hope we don't reach for a Casas/Edwards or someone

I could deal with a
                          Rd 1-McClanahan College SP OR Kelenic HS OF(Mocks)
                          Rd 2-Blaze Alexander HS SS(Fangraphs)
                          Rd 2S-Grant Koch College C (Sign Below Slot)

Then Day 2
                          3 or 4 Solid College Arms/Players
                          Last edited by tjfla; 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I really think we should be looking at bats rather than arms as a general philosophy for the first round. I obviously don’t know the particulars of who is available, but I think we need a ton more help with hitting prospects than pitchers at this point

Comment

I really think we should be looking at bats rather than arms as a general philosophy for the first round. I obviously don’t know the particulars of who is available, but I think we need a ton more help with hitting prospects than pitchers at this point
                              They really need power, so a guy like Gorman, if he's there, would be enticing. But they also could really use top end pitching. They have a lot of pitching prospects, but they don't have high end guys. Plus, pitching is always going to be at a premium.

Comment

1 Word- TALENT

I agree we need bats but looks like all the Top End Bats are going to the Top 10(Bart/India/Madrigal). Kelenic,Gorman and Turang are nice HS bats. As long as we don't reach for a guy I won't be to mad at whatever we take. Casas is a reach at #13

Comment

Working...
                                X