Prospect flirts with no-hitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect flirts with no-hitter

There's something about the Dunedin Blue Jays that brings out the best in Alex Sanabia.

Sanabia took a no-hit bid into the eighth inning and ended up combining on a one-hitter Sunday as the Jupiter Hammerheads blanked the Blue Jays, 2-0.

"I knew what was going on, but I wasn't thinking about it," said Sanabia, a Florida State League All-Star. "I just said whatever happens, happens."

Matt Liuzza broke up the no-hitter with a one-out double, but the 20-year-old right-hander faced just one batter over the minimum while striking out six over a career-best eight innings.

"For the first time in a while, all of my pitches were working," the California native said. "I felt comfortable with every single one of them going on at any time in the count."

Sanabia threw mostly two-seam fastballs, mixing in an occasional slider or changeup, his out pitch.

Asked whether he was disappointed he wasn't able to finish the game, he replied, "No, I wasn't bummed at all. I felt great. It was nice to go through this experience and hopefully, it will happen again and I can finish it. I was able to put my team in a winning position, and that's what mattered."

Sanabia has won both starts against Dunedin this season, yielding only four hits and two walks while striking out 14 over 15 scoreless innings. In his previous three starts heading into Sunday, however, he was 0-2 with a 7.11 ERA.

"I just prepared for my next start and forgot about [my last start] and looked forward to pitching today against Dunedin," said Sanabia, who earned his team-leading ninth win and lowered his ERA to 3.45.

The Marlins selected him in the 32nd round of the 2006 Draft and used him exclusively in relief in the Gulf Coast League that summer. He was converted to a starter the following season and went 2-6 with a complete game and a 5.13 ERA at short-season Jamestown. Last year, Sanabia was 5-5 with a 4.93 ERA in 19 starts at Class A Greensboro.

Right-hander Steven Cishek finished off the one-hitter with a perfect ninth, earning his second save and nailing down the last-place Hammerheads' fourth straight win.
    Marlins prospect flirts with no-hitter

Figured we'd start this off with a bang.

Very nice. I'm sure Nny is going to like seeing this.

Comment

I really like this kid.
      I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
        Very nice. I'm sure Nny is going to like seeing this.
        fuck pitchers

Comment

Working...
        X