• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greensboro: K.J. Woods, RF

Discuss.
    --------------------
    Lefty hitter, throws right

Guys on MLB network talking about how he's all power, said he had some of the better raw power in the whole draft. Compared him to Keon Barnum from last year. Mayo said he may end up at 1B.

Committed to juco and could go and re-enter the draft next year
    --------------------
    6'4, 208

Stood out at WWBA and ECP. Good power potential
    Rawlings All Americans and All Regions
    2013 Rawlings 2nd Team All-American
    Atlantic - All Region 1st Team
    PG Underclass All Americans and All Regions
    2012 Underclass 3rd Team
    2011 Underclass Honorable Mention
    http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=276383
    --------------------
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbgSK-BI3rg[/ame]
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Actually got him listed at 6'3 230lbs and still only 17. Other stuff on him at "Kevin Woods"

Comment

Looks like a noodle

Comment

Nice OF arm and the ball jumps off the bat.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbx0XeGwmQ[/ame]

Comment

I like his swing.

Comment

If there ever was a day that will stick out in Kevin “KJ” Woods memory it was Friday.

Woods, 17, had two life changing events take place just hours apart as shortly after 2 p.m. he was drafted in the fourth round (pick 112) of the 2013 Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Miami Marlins. At around 7 p.m., he will be graduating from Fort Mill High School.

“This is an incredible experience,” Woods said. “I will never forget this day.”

With the selection, Woods becomes the highest drafted player out of Fort Mill ever. He also joins a small group of less than a dozen Fort Mill High graduates to ever go on and play minor league baseball.

He is the first Fort Mill-based player picked since pitcher Hamilton Bennett, now in the Mets organization, was selected out of college in 2010 and the first since 2003 to be selected straight from Fort Mill High. In his three years playing varsity baseball for Fort Mill, Woods hit .359 with 13 home runs and 59 RBIs in 81 games and had an on-base percentage of .548.

Fort Mill head baseball coach Brad Mercer said he was excited for Woods.

“All of his hard work has paid off,” he said. “He has worked hard to get where he is at. It’s exciting to be drafted that high. He has done a lot for himself this year with making the All-State team. A lot fell into place for him. It’s good for Fort Mill to get the recognition as well.”

Mercer said he had as many as 15 scouts from different teams calling him throughout the season wanting to come see Woods play.

Woods, who committed to Santa Fe Community College in Florida earlier this year to play junior college baseball in hopes of raising his future draft status if he wasn’t picked Friday, said he was certainly going to forgo college and link up with the Marlins’ farm system.

According to BaseballAmerica.com, the assessed value of Woods being drafted where he was by the Marlins is $459,200. Executives from the team will be flying up next week to meet with him to finalize the details of him becoming part of the organization, including when and where he will report to in the Marlins’ minor league system, Woods said. He would most likely report to the team’s Rookie League squad in the Gulf Coast League.

The 2013 draft was in its second day Friday and Woods said he was disappointed he didn’t go in the first two rounds held Thursday night.

“I talked to my agent and I listened to my family and they said everything was going to be all right,” he said.

Woods didn’t have to wait long because about an hour into day two of the draft, he got a phone call from the Marlins, saying they were going to take him with their next pick.

“I was relieved,” he said. “It was unreal. I have never waited so long for a phone call in my life.”

With family in town already for graduation, Woods said it was extra special to have a house full of support as he was sitting around watching the draft take place on TV.

“This place was packed,” he said. “I was eating a turkey sandwich when I got the call.”

Despite the relief having the Marlins call, Woods said he was a little in shock, as he spent part of last week in San Diego talking with the Padres organization.

“We were dead set with San Diego getting me,” he said.

Besides Miami and San Diego, Woods was on the radar of the Kansas City Royals, Toronto Blue Jays, Colorado Rockies and the Atlanta Braves.
            http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/06...rafted-by.html
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

SIGNED

$459,200

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                SIGNED

$459,200
                What was slot?

Comment

He signed for slot

Comment

Working...