Jake Marisnick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Marisnick

What are the real prospects for Jake ? AA all year and perhaps an invite in September ? Does he project to being an MLB player by 2015 ?

His ETA is late in 2013, should return to AA and see if he can make adjustments

If he can do all this, 2014 Opening Day isn't out of the question, especially with the way this team pushes prospects

certainly by 2015 though (if things go according to plan)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post

If he can do all this, 2014 Opening Day isn't out of the question, especially with the way this team pushes prospects

I see him all of 2013 in AA, three months AAA next year, arbitration delayed. Yelich obviously takes over this summer, if they trade Stanton (which I don't think they will do this year at this point) I think Ozuna would take that spot regardless, and Ruggiano/Silverio are going to man CF for a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post

Thanks
        --------------------
        Originally posted by lou View Post
        I see him all of 2013 in AA, three months AAA next year, arbitration delayed. Yelich obviously takes over this summer, if they trade Stanton (which I don't think they will do this year at this point) I think Ozuna would take that spot regardless, and Ruggiano/Silverio are going to man CF for a little bit.
        Yeah it does seem they are going to hang onto Stanton this whole season, and probably try to trade him before next season. Is he going to get his 1st arbitration raise before next season ? If he is, that will be when they trade him.
        Last edited by oakelmpine; 02-18-2013, 08:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

JUPITER — To suggest that a young baseball career can sometimes resemble an ill-fated relationship isn’t too much of an exaggeration. Prospects, though enthusiastic, can be derailed in a heartbeat through injury, poor performance or a change of scenery.

Jake Marisnick, ranked as the Toronto Blue Jays’ No. 2 prospect, was a highly regarded piece of the future for the Canadian city’s club. Until he wasn’t.

One afternoon in November, driving back to his home after an Arizona Fall League game, he received an unexpected call from the higher-ups. The environment he had fostered his growth in, the one he had been assured a bright future with, was sending him to Miami as a part of a blockbuster 12-player trade.

“It was a little bit of a shock because I was settling in with the Blue Jays, and I felt pretty comfortable,” said Marisnick, of learning about the trade in his car.

Two weeks into his first stint in a major-league camp, Marisnick looks nothing but comfortable. He’s using that word a lot.

“[Coming] into a new organization, you’ve got to go through the process of meeting everybody, seeing how the other players play, how the coaches go about their business,” he said. “That’s been an interesting process.”

Marisnick knows a few other Blue Jays prospects on the other side of the room. He played on the same high school team in Riverside, Calif., with two Marlins minor-league camp attendees.

Manager Mike Redmond spent two years at the helm of Marisnick’s minor-league clubs in the Blue Jays system.

“It’s a little nerve-racking the first time you go somewhere and you’ve got to meet all new people,” he said. “Definitely having Redmond over here has helped me out.”

Redmond led the Class A Lansing (Mich.) Lugnuts when Marisnick hit .320 with a .392 on-base percentage and a .496 slugging percentage in 2011. The 6-4 outfielder also stole 37 bases that year.

His stint with Redmond’s 2012 Class A Advanced team in Dunedin was rewarded with a July promotion to Double A New Hampshire. There were growing pains, as there always will be, but he finished his season with a .249 batting average, .321 on-base percentage and .399 slugging percentage between the two clubs, and 24 stolen bases.

Redmond would argue that Marisnick could be playing center field in the big leagues right now, with his range and how easy he makes his work look.

“His at-bats have been good. He’s been disciplined; he hasn’t chased a lot of balls out of the zone,” the manager said. “I’m excited for him because I’ve coached him for the last two years. For him to be here and have success makes me feel good.

“He’s showing what type of player he is.”

Coming in mainly as a defensive replacement in the spring, Marisnick has five hits in nine at-bats and has a stolen base for good measure.

In his past two appearances with the Marlins, he has showcased the defense that makes him such a special piece of Miami’s future, including a diving outfield grab that mimicked any seasoned big-leaguer on Sunday, and a spectacular catch in Saturday’s game at the wall that robbed Collin Cowgill of an early home run for the Mets.

“I thought it was a nice play,” Christian Yelich said, from the locker next door. “To lead off the game, we’re up 1-0, first batter of the game ...”

Marisnick cuts him off. Yelich hit the first-inning home run that put the Marlins on the board and is expected to complete a future Marlins outfield with Marisnick and Giancarlo Stanton.

“Oh yeah, we’re up 1-0. Sorry, buddy,” Marisnick says. “Table for one.”

The two outfield prospects are rarely separated; they’re side by side in the locker room, on the field and not far from one another on the organization’s top prospects chart.

“They stick me right next to him as punishment,” Yelich jokes.

“We’re a similar kind of player,” Marisnick says about Yelich. “Run, throw, hit; it’s kind of the same toolbox that we have.”

The toolbox is a complete one, but neither has developed the ego stroke to go along with the skills. They’re both excited to see what the other one can do and to give each other a hard time on the way there.

“What [the Marlins] have got going on over here, coming from the Blue Jays and not knowing what to expect ... it’s a great clubhouse,” Marisnick said.

“All the older guys are taking us in and showing us the ropes. The younger guys are all pushing to get better. They have a really good thing going on over here.”

As far as good relationships go, it’s not too early for Marlins fans to write Marisnick’s name on their binders.
          Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/03/05/...#storylink=cpy
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Jake Marisnick, the Miami Marlins’ highly regarded outfield prospect, has a broken hand and will miss about four weeks.
            Marisnick was hit on the left hand Wednesdsay by the Cardinals’ Trevor Rosenthal. X-rays after the game were negative. But the hand continued to bother him, and a subsequent X-ray revealed the fracture, Marlins manager Mike Redmond said Monday.
            “Sometimes those things don’t show up right away. It just wasn’t progressing, wasn’t getting better. They decided to do another X-ay and found a little break,” Redmond said.
            Marisnick, obtained in the controversial blockbuster trade with Toronto in November, is the Marlins’ No. 3 prospect. He was recently ranked as the 64th-best prospect in baseball by Baseball America.
            He is slated to start the season at Double-A Jacksonville as soon as he recovers from the injury.
            Redmond said Marisnick likely miss the first two weeks of the season.
            “Disappointed. For a young kid, you don’t ever want that to happen,” Redmond said. “He’ll go down and get himself healed up and get ready for the season.”
            Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
            http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...tinel+Blogs%29
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X