Marlins Announce Batavia Muckdogs As New Single-A Affiliate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Announce Batavia Muckdogs As New Single-A Affiliate

The Batavia Muckdogs announced a two-year working agreement with the Miami Marlins on Friday, putting together two baseball teams that are separated by 1,400 miles, but have much in common.

Both are attendance-challenged clubs who were recently spurned by teams. The Muckdogs’ six-year affiliation with the St. Louis Cardinals ended this month when the Cardinals signed with the State College Spikes. The Marlins had been the parent club of the Jamestown Jammers until the Jammers signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

“We are excited to have the Miami Marlins as our new affiliate,’’ said Brian Paris, president of the Genesee County Baseball Club that owns the Muckdogs. “I look forward to developing a relationship with them and to welcome them into our community. The Marlins are a fine organization that brings with them solid baseball experience and good people.’’

During the Marlins’ 11 years in Jamestown, the Jammers went 370-451 (.451) with two playoff appearances.

The Muckdogs finished last in attendance in the short-season Single-A New York-Penn League and are for sale. The Marlins are 12th out of 16 National League teams in attendance despite moving into a new ballpark this season.

The Muckdogs are one of seven affiliates in the Marlins’ player development system, joining the New Orleans Zephyrs (AAA/Pacific Coast League), Jacksonville Suns (AA/Southern League), Jupiter Hammerheads (Advanced A/Florida State League), Greensboro Grasshoppers (A/South Atlantic League), Dominican Summer League Marlins (Rookie) and Gulf Coast League Marlins (Rookie).
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...sey=nav%7Chead

I bolded the "for sale" part because there's been a trend lately of teams buying affiliates as they go on the market. Doubt we'd do that with a team so far away - especially if we're "losing money" - but interesting thought nonetheless.
    --------------------
    also how fuckin stoked is geemoney right now
    --------------------
    The Muckdogs ranked last or second-to-last in attendance while affiliated with the Cardinals. The team averaged just under 950 people for 37 games at Dwyer Stadium in the 2012 season.

http://www.wbta1490.com/LocalNews/ta...rent-Club.aspx
    Last edited by emkayseven; 09-29-2012, 07:54 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Is Freddie Prinze Jr. still on that team?

Summer Catch jokes.

/hates self

Comment

I'd be stoked if I hadn't moved to Florida in August. So of course this would happen.

Comment

Damn that sucks :/
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

No chance we would buy it. In fact we would love to get out of the NYPL however there really isn't another league to move to. The SS leagues are up there and in the Pacific NW

It's not really a big issue tho,we send guys there for about 4 months a year and even then it's usually guys repeating Rookie Ball or College Guys from the draft.

Comment

Yeah Polky, now you know what the NYPL is.

Comment

Working...
            X