Jon Link, RP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Link, RP

New Orleans Zephyrs right-handed reliever Jon Link was named the Pacific Coast League's Pitcher of the Week for August 6-12, the league announced Monday.
    While Link has only been with the Zephyrs for a few weeks, he has already made his mark in the bullpen. In five save opportunities last week, the right-hander shut the door every time, notching five saves over 5.2 innings without allowing a hit or a run. His only baserunner over that period was a two-out walk issued on Wednesday, but he followed that with a game-ending strikeout. Link's final line for the week included a 0.00 ERA, a 0.18 WHIP, and five strikeouts to go with his perfect five-for-five in save opportunities.

Link, born in Columbus, Ohio, was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 26th round of the 2005 draft out of Bluefield College, making him the first Major League player from his alma mater. He was traded to the Chicago White Sox in 2007, and in 2008 he notched 35 saves for the Birmingham Barons, earning a spot on the Southern League All-Star team. After the 2009 season, Link was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, for whom he made his Major League debut on April 20th, 2010, as he pitched two scoreless innings in relief. In 2012, Link has a 2.87 ERA in 31.1 innings between three clubs, including a 0.00 ERA in his 7.2 innings with New Orleans.

Link is the fourth Zephyrs pitcher to earn the PCL's weekly award, joining Wade LeBlanc (May 14-20), Tom Koehler (July 11-17) and J.D. Martin (July 16-23). New Orleans is the only PCL club to have more than two different pitchers win the award, from a pitching staff that leads the league with a 3.81 team ERA.
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t588
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Jon Link hit his stride in 2011 when the Albuquerque Isotopes moved him into the closer's role.

It should come as no surprise that he has done so again when the New Orleans Zephyrs gave him the same job late this season.

Link has gone 1-0 with a 0.75 ERA and seven saves in 11 appearances with the Zephyrs, who are wrapping up their series with the Isotopes on Tuesday.

“That’s my role, that’s what I do the best,” Link said. “That’s where I’m at right now, I’m in a pretty good spot with my delivery, my feel, my mechanics. I’m throwing the ball pretty well.”

The road back to being a closer has taken Link through three cities and a frustrating month of unemployment.

The right-hander, who pitched for Albuquerque in 2010 and 2011, became a free agent after last season and signed a minor-league contract with the Baltimore Orioles organization, giving him a chance to play in his home state of Virginia with the Triple-A Norfolk Tides.

Link expected there to be smooth sailing in Norfolk, but that was not the case.

“I guess in the beginning they kind of wanted everybody to go multiple innings and that’s really not my thing, not my forte,” Link said. “The manager (Ron Johnson) and I kind of got on the same page. He started giving the whole bullpen roles and guys really started to excel in those roles, myself included.”

In the end, however, Johnson had to answer to the front office in Baltimore, which wanted to change directions with the Tides' pitching staff.

“One day he just came up to me and said, ‘Look, I’ve got orders from up top that I’ve got certain guys that have to pitch. Unfortunately, you’re one of the two or three that aren’t one of those guys,’ ” Link said. “I said, ‘OK, whatever, use me when you want to use me.’ After two outings in two weeks it was kind of that time where I had to make a decision for myself and my career. So I decided to ask for my release and they granted it.”

Link was cut on June 12 and was still unemployed going into July.

“A month without a paycheck and a baby on the way is not the best situation to be in,” he said.

The Marlins called him in July at the behest of Cole Armstrong, a New Orleans catcher.

“When it came time to make a decision on where to go and the Marlins came calling, it was kind of a no-brainer for me,” Link said. “I came up with Cole (in the White Sox farm system); we’ve been best friends for the last five years. We live real close to each other in Arizona. He called and said I put your name out there to the Marlins. A week later I got a phone call.”

Link signed on July 9 and went to Double-A Jacksonville on July 19 where he made three appearances, picking up a win and a save. He joined New Orleans on July 26.

New Orleans dropped the first two games of this series in Albuquerque and then won a 20-10 slugfest on Monday, so Link's services have yet to be called upon versus his former team.

“That is Albuquerque at its finest,” Link said with a smile in regards to the 30-run game. “I’ve seen a lot of those games. It’s not the first time and not going to be the last in this yard. I’m just thankful we came out on top.”
    http://www.examiner.com/article/form...-familiar-role
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
    X