5/25 - 5/31 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/25 - 5/31 Minor League Game Thread

Starting off with some minor league signings from the last two weeks, c/o Baseball America:

LHP Rob Zastryzny: Was assigned to AAA just today. He was signed out of the independent leagues. He has pitched 18 games over three major league seasons, compiling a 4.41 ERA with 16 walks and 31 strikeouts in 34.1 innings.

2B Carlos Arroyo: The last known transaction I can find for him was that he was released by the DSL Pirates on May 3rd. Arroyo hit .298 over two seasons with the DSL team with 31 stolen bases in 342 at-bats, at only two homers.

SS Nick Lovullo: The son of former major league player and current Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo, Nick is 27 years old and was signed the Marlins on May 8th. He's currently with AA Pensacola. Nick was a 20th round pick of the Red Sox in 2016, reaching AAA in 2019.

IF Deven Marrero: A familiar name to hardcore Marlins fans, Marrero played five games for Miami in 2019. He didn't catch on anywhere in 2020, and was signed on May 8th by the Marlins and assigned to AAA Jacksonville.

5/25

AAA Jacksonville: L, 13-5

J.Sanchez: 1-5, R, SB
    Harrison: 2-2, R, 2B, BB, 2 SB
    L.Marte: 0-3, RBI, K
    D.Marrero: 1-2, R, HR (1), 3 RBI, BB
    Brigman: 1-3, BB, K, SB
    J.A.Smith: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
    Fishman: L, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

AA Pensacola: W, 4-1

Burdick: 1-3, R, HR (5), RBI, BB, 2 K
    Bleday: 0-4, RBI, K
    Encarnacion: 0-4, 4 K
    Fortes: 2-4, R, HR (1), RBI, K
    Alonso: 1-4, R, HR (2), RBI, 2 K
    Meyer: W, 5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
    Leban: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
    Hock: SV, 1 IP, 2 BB, 1 K

A+ Beloit: L, 11-10

Misner: 1-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB, SB
    T.Jones: 2-4, R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, 2 K
    Conine: 2-5, R, RBI, 2 K, SB
    Banfield: 2-6, 2 R, 3B, HR (4), 2 RBI, K
    Aracena: 0-4, RBI, BB, K
    Owings: 4-5, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, SB
    Marinez: 2-4, 2 R
    McCambley: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
    Steele: L, .1 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 1 BB

A Jupiter: W, 5-2

N.Nunez: 2-5, R, 2B, 2 K
    Polanco: 1-5, R, 2 RBI, K
    V.Mesa, Jr.: 2-4, 3B, RBI
    Burgos: 1-3, R, 2B, K
    Johnston: 2-3, 2B, BB
    Orr: 3-4, R, 2 RBI, SB
    E.Perez: 2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
    J.E.Sanchez: W, 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HRA
    Sterner: SV, 1 IP, 1 K
    Last edited by geemoney; 05-26-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Starting to get a feel for who Peyton Burdick is going to be.

He’s Adam Duvall. All or nothing. Burdick has ONE single thus far in the season! To go with 11 extra base hits. He should be a minimum wage Duvall for the next several seasons.

Unfortunately, it gets harder and harder to see Bleday as a big league mainstay. He’s struck out as much as Burdick w/o the power hitting to offset it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
        Starting to get a feel for who Peyton Burdick is going to be.

He’s Adam Duvall. All or nothing. Burdick has ONE single thus far in the season! To go with 11 extra base hits. He should be a minimum wage Duvall for the next several seasons.

Unfortunately, it gets harder and harder to see Bleday as a big league mainstay. He’s struck out as much as Burdick w/o the power hitting to offset it.
        I think it's too early to make that kind of blanket statement on Burdick. He jumped from Low-A to AA, that's a huge jump in competition level, I think it just took a couple weeks to get his feet under him. He hit over .300 in Low-A in 2019. He's going to be a guy who is known for XBHs, but I think the fact that he only has one single at this point is mostly an anomaly.

I am kinda getting worried about Bleday, I thought he looked quite good in spring training, but of course that was very small sample size. Nowhere near giving up on him, but he's definitely at risk of getting bypassed by the likes of Burdick, Sanchez and maybe even Conine, and there's only 2 corner outfield spots.

Max Meyer has looked great in 3 of 4 outings.

Comment

The start of Bleday's minor league career kinda reminds me of Colin Moran, who was similarly a high drafted first rounder who got off to a slow start at the minor league level. We dealt him after about a year of mediocre numbers, and he's eventually turned himself into a solid (if not spectacular) major leaguer, So again it's way early.

Comment

I meant it as a compliment to compare Burdick to Duvall. Far as Bleday goes, of course, I've always been a bit negative. Jeter claimed the team would target five-tool up-the-middle talent at the top of drafts and then took Bleday instead of CJ Abrams. Abrams will be a top five prospect by season's end (maybe #1) while Bleday will seemingly work his way out of the top 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              I meant it as a compliment to compare Burdick to Duvall. Far as Bleday goes, of course, I've always been a bit negative. Jeter claimed the team would target five-tool up-the-middle talent at the top of drafts and then took Bleday instead of CJ Abrams. Abrams will be a top five prospect by season's end (maybe #1) while Bleday will seemingly work his way out of the top 100.
              I think Burdick's potential with the bat is much greater than Adam Duvall especially when it comes to batting average and OBP. Now Duvall is an excellent outfielder so that helps his value a little bit and it remains to be seen how good Burdick can be defensively.

Comment

Abrams had a BABIP of close to .400 and is striking out 1/4 of the time and isn't walking much.

Bleday has a BABIP of close to .200 and is drawing walks at about twice the rate. His K rate is a bit higher though.

Lee, you are, objectively, one of the biggest morons I have ever seen when it comes to discussing baseball so your dislike of Bleday and fawning of Abrams makes me like their decision even more.

That said, isn't there a 25 year old in Low A off to a hot start you need to proclaim the next Mike Piazza or something?
                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                Noah Perio
                Jupiter
                39 AB
                15 H
                0 2B
                0 3B
                0 HR
                0 BB
                .385/.385/.385

Comment

5/26

AAA Jacksonville: L, 3-0

S.Marte: 0-3, K
                  J.Sanchez: 0-3, K
                  Brigman: 1-3, K
                  Bird: 0-2, BB, SB
                  Castano: L, 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HRA
                  Eveld: 2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K

AA Pensacola: W, 5-4

Burdick: 1-4, R, 2B, BB, 2 K
                  Bleday: 0-2, R, 2 BB, 2 K, CS
                  Fortes: 2-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB
                  Mahan: 1-4, R, HR (1), 3 RBI, K
                  Eder: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
                  McKenna: W, 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HRA

A+ Beloit: W, 6-4

Misner: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, K
                  T.Jones: 0-3, R, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 SB
                  Conine: 1-2, R, 3 BB
                  Banfield: 2-4, R, 4 RBI, BB, 2 K
                  Ready: 1-3, RBI, BB
                  Hoeing: W, 5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA
                  Mitzel: SV, 2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 K

A Jupiter: W, 5-4 (11 Innings)

Polanco: 2-5, R
                  V.Mesa, Jr.: 1-5, RBI, K
                  O.Johnson: 2-5, R, 2B, RBI
                  Johnston: 2-5, R, RBI
                  D.Rosario: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI
                  Fulton: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
                  Lara: W, 4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
                  Last edited by geemoney; 05-26-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Jake Eder 0.45 ERA 34 Ks in 20 innings.

Comment

Something to remember is MOST of these guys say very little to NO actual game action for 2 years. Much like the ML team its pretty much show us what u got and then if by mid July u are sucking at 24 yrs old see ya

The draft which is 20 Rds this year means we will be adding 20-25 guys

Im not talking about Burdick or Bleday but if u are a 24 yr old in High A and u dont look great,I would be very worried if Miami takes a 21/22 yr old at your position

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                        Jake Eder 0.45 ERA 34 Ks in 20 innings.
                        IF we decide to swing for a big name at the deadline Miami is gonna have to make a few massive decisions.

Do u trade Eder,Burdick,Devers,Jesus for 1 or 2 years of a guy OR ? All these guys will be ready next year

Eder and Burdick already were the hot names in talks with LAD/Chicago/Pitt and they both have looked very very good. Even tho our GM Lee hates Burdick he looks the part

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

IF we decide to swing for a big name at the deadline Miami is gonna have to make a few massive decisions.

Do u trade Eder,Burdick,Devers,Jesus for 1 or 2 years of a guy OR ? All these guys will be ready next year

Eder and Burdick already were the hot names in talks with LAD/Chicago/Pitt and they both have looked very very good. Even tho our GM Lee hates Burdick he looks the part
                          ???

You trade from your strength. The pitching. I would hold on to Burdick and Sanchez unless we're blown away with an offer.

Comment

I wonder what it would take to pry Mitch Garver from the Twins.

Comment

I'd trade Alcantara for MI/CF Vidal Brujan, but Rays wouldn't accept.

I'd trade Bleday for C Luis Campusano, but Padres wouldn't accept.

I'd trade Meyer and Bleday for CJ Abrams, but Padres wouldn't accept.

I'd draft HS C/utility Harry Ford with my first draft pick and FSU's C Matieu Nelson with the second

Comment

Working...
                              X