• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revised Top Prospects List

Not from any publication, I am just curious what the collective thought is

1. Fernandez
    2. Yelich
    3. Turner < - Lost some fastball this year / Yelich and Fernandez just that good. I think top 3 is all toss up and all of them are huge prospects end of the day
    4. Heaney
    < - Eovaldi if he counted
    5. Brantly
    6. Conley (hit a little hard in Jupiter)
    < - Brad Hand if he counted
    7. Cox
    8. Realmuto
    9. C. James
    10. Ozuna

Next Grouping - Urena, Solorzano, Brice, Lowell, Keys, Ramos
    --------------------
    Something like that at least
    Last edited by lou; 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

I don't think I'd change anything about those rankings. Just about what I'd say. Fernandez and Yelich are in a class of their own. Fernandez is primed to make the majors before his 22nd birthday and Yelich is hitting like Todd Helton wherever he goes in the minors.

Comment

I think it's perfect.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I think if Ozuna starts walking a bit more, the kid could be a tremendous hitter.

Comment

Gotta love his raw power and hope his overall numbers this year are "Jupiter" related park factors. This is probably 3rd year in a row 20+ HR ages 19-21 which is pretty good. Also

2010 - 35% K rate, 6% BB Rate
          2011 - 24.3%, 8.3% BB Rate
          2012 - 22.6% 8.3% BB Rate

It's at least getting better if still not great.

I think he needs to be added to 40 man this offseason too. This is his 5th year in organization.

Comment

Yeah, you are right.

It's Ozuna, Ramos, Urena, and Smolinski have to be added.

Comment

I think Lowell belongs in the top 10.

Comment

Oh and Skipworth is eligible

Comment

Great list. I literally started a write up on this tonight. Brantly seems a spot or two high to me. But that's just preference.

I've said it a lot but I really love Brad Hand. He's one of the youngest guys in AAA (same age as Conley, for context) and has really held his own. I mean even what he did in the major leagues as a 21 year old is very impressive. I know he doesn't count anymore, but he's a durable lefty with the stuff / make-up to be a mid rotation guy for a long time.
                  Christian Yelich
                  LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                  12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                  100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                  .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

I can see the Marlins adding Skipworth to 40 man

Catchers - Buck, Veteran C, Brantly (3)
                    Infielders - Morrison, Bonifacio, Reyes, Cox, Veteran 3B type, Dobbs, Solano (7)
                    Outfielders - Stanton, Ruggiano, Gorkys, Veteran LF, Veteran CF (5)
                    Starting Pitchers - Johnson, Buerhle, Nolasco, Turner, Eovaldi, Hand (6)
                    Relievers/Arms - Bell, Cishek, Dunn, Webb, LeBlanc, Sanabia, Jennings, Hatcher, Koehler, E. Reed, Rosario, Ceda, Caminero (13)

That's 34 relative locks as far as I see it, and yea I am adding expected free agency as they are going to add bats of some caliber moving forward.

Ozuna and Ramos are probably locks to be added for their upside. Also, are you sure Urena has to be protected? I think you get a 5th year as a 17/18 year old signing and he was 2009. Ozuna was 2008 which is why he is eligible now. I think Jensen would have to be protected, but I don't think they will.

This leaves 4 spots to this general grouping:
                    -Urena if he has to be protected
                    -One of Mattison/Petersen/Cousins as AAA outfielder, or someone new just because bats are light
                    -Rule 5 draft acquisition
                    -Reliever acquisition, could be multiple
                    -Skipworth
                    -Smolinski

Gonna be close as comical as it is to discuss Skip getting on 40 man. I bet he would be drafted in Rule V and someone just hope it clicks. I think he is the 40th guy on roster come deadline day.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
                    Great list. I literally started a write up on this tonight. Brantly seems a spot or two high to me. But that's just preference.

I've said it a lot but I really love Brad Hand. He's one of the youngest guys in AAA (same age as Conley, for context) and has really held his own. I mean even what he did in the major leagues as a 21 year old is very impressive. I know he doesn't count anymore, but he's a durable lefty with the stuff / make-up to be a mid rotation guy for a long time.
                    Eovaldi/Brantly/Conley/Hand are pretty interchangeable to me as "tier 3" (Heaney by himself tier 2 right now) prospects/sub 1 year service time guys. I see a significant drop off after that. James is really disappointing thus far, but he is young.
                    Last edited by lou; 08-01-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He signed in 2008 so he should be eligible. I thought that since he didn't play until 2009 that he wouldn't be, but a guy with the Reds signed in 2007 and didn't play until the next year and was added this past off-season. However, him playing in the Dominican Summer League may factor into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                        He signed in 2008 so he should be eligible. I thought that since he didn't play until 2009 that he wouldn't be, but a guy with the Reds signed in 2007 and didn't play until the next year and was added this past off-season. However, him playing in the Dominican Summer League may factor into it.
                        I'd imagine the protect him, so maybe 3 spots to those groupings then. Maybe 4 if Ceda can still be stashed on DL and not recovered.

Skip is sneaking onto it.

Comment

If he's eligible for the Rule V, there's no way they won't protect him.

And it'd be really stupid not to.

Comment

I would bet possibly one or two of Petersen, Cousins and Mattison will be removed. I THINK Petey will be out of options while Cousins will have one and Mattison will have two left.

With the year Smolinksi has had, he may get put on just because of his versatility, no?

Comment

The fact he has more walks than strikeouts, in this organization, makes Smolinski an interesting guy for sure.
                              --------------------
                              Skipworth could spend 2013 and 2014 in AAA and still be a 25 year old rookie in 2015.

It's kinda odd how quickly guys get "written off" anymore.

There's still a chance he becomes a guy who can hit .240 off righties with 20 home runs. And you take that from a catcher, any day.
                              Last edited by HUGG; 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X