2013 Draft General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    No not at #6. Now at #35 I would say jump all over him and give him 1.5 million. Also this draft might be one of the deepest for catchers in a while. If McGuire was the best player I would say get him however the only reason teams in the Top 10 are looking at him is to save cash. Same with Shipley,he is probably the 5/6 best College arm and there is talk he goes in the Top 7. We did that with Sinkbeil-was a good arm however signed cheap so we drafted him in middle of Rd 1 instead of Rd 2 where he should have went
    He is saying that the logic you posted is dumb.
    poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      He is saying that the logic you posted is dumb.
      Someone needs to remind Loria what happened the last time we had the #6 pick and took a Left Handed Hitting Catcher from the West Coast!!

With the laughing faces can u now tell I was saying it in a joking manner?

Comment

I hope we take a catcher with every pick the entire draft.
        Last edited by HUGG; 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm not that mad, because the only person wrong more often than Jim Callis is Mel Kiper.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Also, pretty much anyone who does mock drafts.
            poop

Comment

There is strong sentiment within the Marlins organization to take a college position player with their first pick — the sixth overall — in next month’s amateur draft.

With five of the first 80 picks in the draft, the Marlins have a chance to continue adding to their stockpile of young talent in the wake of the team’s roster selloff from last year.

And while the Marlins have usually tended to favor pitching in the draft, their greatest organizational need at the minor- and major-league levels is offense, even with sweet-swinging Christian Yelich tearing it up at Double A Jacksonville.

The Marlins, as well as owner Jeffrey Loria, also prefer someone who can help them sooner rather than later.

Given all that, don’t be surprised if the Marlins select one of two college third baseman — San Diego’s Kris Bryant or North Carolina’s Colin Moran — if either is available at the sixth pick.

ESPN analyst Keith Law calls Moran “the best pure hitter in the college ranks,” while Bryant is one of the top nation’s top college sluggers. Another option is University of New Mexico third baseman D.J. Peterson, who is expected to convert to first.

Most draft experts expect pitchers Mark Appel and Jonathan Gray to be taken with the first two picks, which belong to Houston and the Chicago Cubs, while Bryant is also ranked in the top five on most mock draft boards.

If both of the third basemen have been taken by the time it’s their turn to pick, the Marlins could also go with right-handed pitcher Braden Shipley out of the University of Nevada and use their other early picks on position players.
              Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/1...#storylink=cpy
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Bryant is gonna go #3 or #4 and Moran might be there at #6 however some reports have him asking for the full slot amount right now.

If that is the case it looks like we will go the cheap college arm route at #6,like the article says with Shipley,Chris Anderson of Jacksonville or Jonathon Crawford who we drafted before. The reason for this is with all of the picks we have it will give us flexibility to take the BPA instead of worrying about cash.

A name to watch tho with our #1S or #2 pick if we pass on Moran is Hunter Dozier of Stephen F Austin,he is a 6'4 220lbs SS who is projected to play 3B

Comment

Keith Law has posted his first Mock. Can someone pretty please post it here? Thank you

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...2013-mlb-draft
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

John Sickels' 2nd Mock Draft:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...sickels-may-16

Comment

The Marlins are going to draft cheap? Let me show you my shocked face
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                        Keith Law has posted his first Mock. Can someone pretty please post it here? Thank you

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...2013-mlb-draft
                        1Jonathan GrayPOS: RHPHT: 6-4WT: 239School: Oklahoma
                        Analysis: The industry thinking is that the Astros will try to cut a deal with Gray for less than it would cost to sign Mark Appel, then applying the savings to later picks where they might sign players to bonuses that exceed MLB's recommendations.

There is one hot rumor this week that has the Astros on UNC third baseman Colin Moran, one of the top statistical performers in this draft and someone likely to rate at or near the top of Houston's internal analytics.

Besides Gray and Moran, Mark Appel and perhaps Kris Bryant all seem to be in consideration, and maybe (but probably not) Clint Frazier. If last year is any guide, the Astros won't make a final decision until a few hours or even minutes before the pick.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        2Mark AppelPOS: RHPHT: 6-5WT: 215School: Stanford
                        Analysis: This is Appel or Gray, assuming one of them goes first, with Appel the preference. The Cubs are in the catbird seat in this draft -- they don't have to pay the premium that comes with picking first overall but are guaranteed to get one of the two huge arms in the class.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        3Kris BryantPOS: 3B/OFB/T: R/RHT: 6-5WT: 215School: San Diego
                        Analysis: I've only heard them on bats so far, including Bryant, Dominic Smith and Austin Meadows. However, if Gray ends up here, I think the Rockies would take him.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        4Kohl StewartPOS: RHPHT: 6-3WT: 190School: St. Pius X (Houston)
                        Analysis: They've been very heavy on Stewart over his last few outings, and he's an ideal fit for a system that needs high-upside pitchers, with Stewart offering the athleticism the Twins have always favored in position players.

There is a persistent rumor that the Twins will cut a deal with prep catcher Reese McGuire for less than MLB's recommended bonus, which would allow them to apply those savings later in the draft. But Stewart is clearly the better choice and appears to be higher on their internal board, below only the three players who I project to go in the top three.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        5Colin MoranPOS: 3BHT: 6-3WT: 215School: North Carolina
                        Analysis: I've heard that Moran will fall no farther than here at No. 5, and Cleveland will take Bryant if Moran is gone. Clint Frazier could be a backup plan at this spot, the highest I've heard him going other than Houston.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        6Braden ShipleyPOS: RHPHT: 6-3WT: 190School: Nevada
                        Analysis: Shipley and New Mexico's DJ Peterson are the two most frequent names I'm hearing about with this pick. Peterson would be the first college position player that the Marlins drafted with their first selection since Mark Kotsay in 1996. Ownership seems to be mandating a college player for the first pick.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        7Ryne StanekPOS: RHPHT: 6-4WT: 190School: Arkansas
                        Analysis: Stanek came into the year as a top-five pick, struggled with command, but has been showing major velocity of late and holding it deep into games. There's a thought that the Sox are lurking on him and Sean Manaea, since Moran and Bryant will likely be gone and Clint Frazier might be too risky for them at No. 7. If they drafted a little lower, they might consider Alex Gonzalez as well.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        8Sean ManaeaPOS: LHPHT: 6-5WT: 235School: Indiana State
                        Analysis: I'm hearing that the Royals are focused on college arms, including Manaea and Shipley, but oddly enough not Stanek, whom they've barely scouted. Their main non-pitching target seems to be Austin Meadows.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        9DJ PetersonPOS: 3B/1BB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 205School: New Mexico
                        Analysis: They are also linked to Reese McGuire (whom GM Neal Huntington has seen more than once), Austin Meadows and Trey Ball.

Note: A compensation pick for failing to sign Mark Appel with No. 8 overall pick in 2012.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        10Reese McGuirePOS: CB/T: L/RHT: 6-1WT: 190School: Kentwood HS (Kent, Wash.)
                        Analysis: I've heard the Blue Jays could take Ball or Meadows with this pick. I would expect them to be opportunistic on any player who was supposed to go higher than this and falls, which could mean Frazier.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        11Dominic SmithPOS: 1BB/T: L/LHT: 6-0WT: 195School: Serra HS (Gardena, Calif.)
                        Analysis: This pick could also be Peterson, Aaron Judge or longshots Hunter Renfroe or Austin Wilson. Also, the Mets were among the teams scouting Frazier on Monday.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        12Austin MeadowsPOS: OFB/T: L/LHT: 6-3WT: 200School: Grayson (Ga.) HS
                        Analysis: The Mariners originally thought they'd have a shot at Moran, but that seems impossible. Peterson and Stanek are both considerations if they're available here, with Reese McGuire getting play as the local kid.

I think Seattle would be over the moon getting Meadows here with the No. 12 pick. No matter how I map the scenarios, either Meadows or Peterson ends up here.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        13Clint FrazierPOS: OFB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 190School: Loganville (Ga.) HS
                        Analysis: Frazier and Meadows falling this far seems odd to me, but there's a flight to safety in the top 10, with teams expressing stronger preferences for college players over prep kids. That could certainly change in the next three weeks after scouting departments get into their draft rooms.

The Padres would also consider Hunter Renfroe with this pick or they might cut a deal with a prep arm, an approach that worked very well for them last year when they nabbed prep lefty Max Fried at No. 7 overall.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        14Trey BallPOS: LHP/OFHT: 6-6WT: 180School: New Castle (Ind.) HS
                        Analysis: I've also heard that the Pirates could take Aaron Judge or Hunter Renfroe with this pick. I actually prefer Ball to Peterson -- whom I have them taking at No. 9 -- but Peterson won't get past pick No. 12.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        15Hunter RenfroePOS: OFB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 216School: Mississippi State
                        Analysis: Alex Gonzalez is one of the other names here, although it sounds like the Diamondbacks covet Renfroe.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        16J.P. CrawfordPOS: SSB/T: L/RHT: 6-2WT: 175School: Lakewood (Calif.) HS
                        Analysis: They're getting linked to every toolsy prep player who might be available with this pick, including Travis Demerritte, Devin Williams and junior college shortstop Tim Anderson.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        17Chris AndersonPOS: RHPHT: 6-4WT: 225School: Jacksonville
                        Analysis: I've also heard the White Sox linked to Gonzaga lefty Marco Gonzales, although this seems a little early for him.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        18Matt KrookPOS: LHPHT: 6-2WT: 190School: St. Ignatius Prep (Hillsborough, Calif.)
                        Analysis: I know you're shocked, but the Dodgers are linked to a lot of prep arms, including Krook, Hunter Harvey and Devin Williams.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        19Alex GonzalezPOS: RHPHT: 6-3WT: 200School: Oral Roberts
                        Analysis: They're also one of several teams seen as strong candidates for prep shortstop Travis Demerritte, who is likely to go off the board before their next pick. Local kid Devin Williams will be a sentimental favorite among fans, I'm sure.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        20Kyle SerranoPOS: RHPHT: 6-0WT: 185School: Farragut (Tenn.) HS
                        Analysis: One very odd name I heard here is Florida right-hander Jonathan Crawford, who doesn't seem to be getting much play in the first round as there's a growing consensus that he's a reliever in the long run. I've also heard Stanek here if he slides.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        21Nick CiuffoPOS: CB/T: L/RHT: 6-1WT: 200School: Lexington (S.C.) HS
                        Analysis: I've heard Tampa Bay is focused on catching, but only Ciuffo would fit the bill in this spot. Devin Williams is also high on the Rays' list.

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        22Devin WilliamsPOS: RHPHT: 6-3WT: 172School: Hazelwood West HS (Hazelwood, Mo.)
                        Analysis: I doubt that Williams, who could go anywhere in the teens, gets past this four-team gauntlet of clubs starting with Baltimore's No. 22 pick. I've also heard that the Orioles have a bit of interest in New Jersey prep lefty Rob Kaminsky and Fresno State outfielder Aaron Judge.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        23Travis DemerittePOS: SSB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 195School: Winder-Barrow HS (Winder, Ga.)
                        Analysis: I've heard Demerritte could go as high as No. 16, but I think he goes in the 20s, where Texas is widely seen to be all over him.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        24Hunter HarveyPOS: RHPHT: 6-3WT: 175School: Bandys HS (Catawba, N.C.)
                        Analysis: I've heard that the A's are interested in a lot of prep arms, including Harvey and prep southpaw Rob Kaminsky.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        25Eric JagieloPOS: RHPB/T: L/RHT: 6-3WT: 215School: Notre Dame
                        Analysis: San Franciso's front office is notoriously tight-lipped, and rumors here are all over the board, including pretty much everyone linked to Oakland.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        26Austin WilsonPOS: OFB/T: R/RHT: 6-5WT: 245School: Stanford
                        Analysis: The Yankees have scouted Wilson heavily since he came back from a stress reaction above his elbow. They've been linked to a ton of prep players but have the luxury of playing the board a little with two more picks at Nos. 32 and 33.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        27Billy McKinneyPOS: OFB/T: L/LHT: 6-2WT: 195School: Plano (Texas) West HS
                        Analysis: McKinney could be this year's version of Jesse Winker, another bat-only prep outfielder who falls to the Reds and hits the ground running in pro ball.

SCOUTING REPORT
                        28Aaron JudgePOS: OFB/T: R/RHT: 6-7WT: 255School: Fresno State
                        Analysis: I've heard that Judge could be picked anywhere in the first round, garnering interest from teams in the 7-to-15 range to those picking in the 20s (figuring he doesn't drop that far).

(Note: This pick is compensation for Kyle Lohse signing with the Brewers.)

SCOUTING REPORT | VIDEO
                        29Marco GonzalesPOS: LHPHT: 6-1WT: 185School: Gonzaga
                        Analysis: It's hard to imagine the Rays passing on a consistent performer like Gonzales. Plus, it's known that they like his feel for pitching.

(Note: This pick is compensation for B.J. Upton signing with the Braves.)

SCOUTING REPORT
                        30Rob KaminskyPOS: LHPHT: 6-0WT: 190School: St. Joseph HS (Montvale, N.J.)
                        Analysis: I'm hearing that Texas is primarily focused on high school players, more upside guys than polished players, although Kaminsky fits into the latter category and the Rangers are among the teams in the 20s (along with the A's and the Yankees) who've scouted him hard down the stretch.

My guess with this pick would have Texas on Georgia prep outfielder Josh Hart if they're looking at raw, slightly toolsier prep kids. I've also heard Tampa high school shortstop Oscar Mercado could be selected here, although I have to think that's more second-round interest.

(Note: This pick is compensation for Josh Hamilton signing with the Angels.)

SCOUTING REPORT
                        31Tim AndersonPOS: SSB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 180School: East Central CC
                        Analysis: I've also heard the Braves on Cal catcher Andrew Knapp, who'd be a reach at this pick as he fits better in the early second round.

(Note: This pick is compensation for Michael Bourn signing with the Indians.)

SCOUTING REPORT
                        32Jon DenneyPOS: CB/T: R/RHT: 6-2WT: 205School: Yukon (Okla.) HS
                        Analysis: Denney was a possible top-10 pick in early February before having a rough spring on both offense and defense. That may make him a huge bargain at this point in the draft. Plus, the Yankees have been linked to him as of late.

(Note: This pick is compensation for Nick Swisher signing with the Indians.)

SCOUTING REPORT
                        33Dustin PetersonPOS: SSB/T: R/RHT: 6-2WT: 180School: Gilbert (Ariz.) HS
                        Analysis: Peterson could go a little higher than No. 33, but this is his likely landing spot. The Yankees seem to be on a number of prep players with this pick, though I get the sense that they'd love to get one good college arm out of their three first-round selections if such a beast exists. Perhaps Andrew Thurman, whom I rate as a first-rounder but has scuffled a little over the last two weeks, could fit the bill.

(Note: This pick is compensation for Rafael Soriano signing with the Nationals.)

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          Fml, I haven't seen Moran at all.
                          He's on ESPNU now. I would've said something earlier but I wanted to make sure FSU's QB got him out first.

Comment

I don't get ESPNU

thanks for the heads up though

Comment

This seems like an easy draft. Appel, Gray, Bryant, Moran, Shipley, DJ Petersen. The three top college arms, and three top college bats all are corner infielders which is perfect. Whatever is there. I'd draft them in that order. If they take someone else just to save a few hundred thousand on slot, jesus christ. My interest will move from a 2/10 to a 1/10.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                                This seems like an easy draft. Appel, Gray, Bryant, Moran, Shipley, DJ Petersen. The three top college arms, and three top college bats all are corner infielders which is perfect. Whatever is there. I'd draft them in that order. If they take someone else just to save a few hundred thousand on slot, jesus christ. My interest will move from a 2/10 to a 1/10.
                                I don't think it's that cut and dry. After Appel, Gray, and Bryant there are a lot of guys that are viewed differently depending on who you listen to. Most people don't think Peterson is a top 10 player in this draft, but he's been moving up draft boards in large part because he will be very singable. Shipley has moved up to some because Manaea has faltered a bit. Kohl Stewart has monster upside and could end up being just as good as Appel and Gray when it's all said and done. McGuire could be one of the better catchers in baseball eventually. Clint Frazier might be a big time power hitter.

I agree that if they go way off the board to take someone to save money that would suck, but I'm not sure they'll do that. I think that has more to do with the perception of them being cheap, but really, they haven't shown a history of doing that in the draft. There are a decent number of guys you didn't mention though that could be fine picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X