No announcement yet.

2013 Draft General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pleased so far, but it's the MLB Draft so who the fuck really knows.

Comment

• I am just guessing, but I think its possible english isnt Pedro Astacio's first language. Or his 2nd through 4th.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I am just guessing, but I think its possible enlgish isnt Pedro Astacio's first language. Or his 2nd through 4th.
        I don't think anyone speaks enlgish.

Comment

• As much as I like the Moran pick, we are gonna be fucking lefty heavy if Dietrich and Brantly sticks. Kinda annoyed by it.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            As much as I like the Moran pick, we are gonna be fucking lefty heavy if Dietrich and Brantly sticks. Kinda annoyed by it.
            I don't understand why people keep saying this.
            If anything, I think it should be viewed as a good thing considering the majority of pitchers are right-handed. Worst-case scenario is that you have to find some right-handed platoon bats in free agency or something.
            Last edited by Erick; 06-07-2013, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• It's just not traditional and looks weird I suppose. Maybe that's why?

Comment

• Perhaps.
                Hopefully my worst case scenario is actually the worst case scenario because they could also all bust. But I like my worst case scenario better.

Comment

• It makes it easy for teams to stack lefty relievers later in games. But, most lefty relievers aren't really used to throwing multiple innings, so it won't be a huge issue.
                  poop

Comment

As much as I like the Moran pick, we are gonna be fucking lefty heavy if Dietrich and Brantly sticks. Kinda annoyed by it.
                    With Yelich, Moran, Dietrich and Brantly you can go L-R-L the whole way down in the line up. Pretty ideal IMO.
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                      With Yelich, Moran, Dietrich and Brantly you can go L-R-L the whole way down in the line up. Pretty ideal IMO.
                      Yeah, we do have a couple of good right-handed hitters assuming Stanton stays (Ozuna being the other). It would be five lefties and three righties so not that bad.

It's also worth noting that some of these lefty bats will probably be better than terrible against left-handed pitching. Morrison, for example, has a career .761 .OPS against lefties (not great or anything, but it's playable). Moran was drafted primarily for his approach so hopefully he's similar in that sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                        I see what you're trying to say, but that's not possible 1-8.

Yelich, L
                        Logan, L
                        Stanton, R
                        Ozuna, R
                        Dietrich, L
                        Moran, L
                        Brantly, L
                        Hechavarria, R

Comment

• You have to hope players like Barnes or Realmuto break through then I suppose.

I would go Stanton/Morrison/Ozuna though personally. Would make it a touch bit more palatable.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

I see what you're trying to say, but that's not possible 1-8.

Yelich, L
                            Logan, L
                            Stanton, R
                            Ozuna, R
                            Dietrich, L
                            Moran, L
                            Brantly, L
                            Hechavarria, R
                            It's not possible, but the lineup also wouldn't necessarily look that way. The lefties and righties can be split up.

Yelich L
                            Dietrich L
                            Stanton R
                            Logan L
                            Ozuna R
                            Moran L
                            Brantly L
                            Hechavarria R

Also, Brantly wouldn't play against lefties. The lefty would face a right-handed hitting catcher who will one day be better than Jeff Mathis, hopefully.

And there are right-handed hitting outfielders in the system. Ruggiano, for example if he stays, can play/hit well against lefties. Marisnick is a right-handed hitter who has the upside to be a significant part of the future as well with some consistency in his bat.

I think it's looking like a nice lineup in the near future if the majority of these guys pan out.
                            Last edited by Erick; 06-07-2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• If Marisnick puts it together and we keep Stanton, I think you could see Yelich back at 1B with Morrison gone.
                              --------------------
                              Or Stanton at 1B, I guess.
                              Last edited by HUGG; 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I've said that same thing before, considering Yelich's prior history at 1B, and moving Stanton to 1B also makes sense to mitigate the chance of injury in the future.

Despite all that, I'm not sold on Marisnick at any point, and I'm not sure Yelich has enough power to be above a league average first baseman.

I think our best long term lineup consists of

C: Brantly/Barnes
                                1B: Morrison
                                2B: Dietrich
                                SS: Who cares (although we know it'll be Hechavarria)
                                3B: Moran
                                LF: Ozuna
                                CF: Yelich
                                RF: Stanton

Honestly, that's a lineup I could get behind. It'll be a while, but we can contend in 2015 while not being the worst team in baseball in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X