• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 37 | Edward Sappelt | OF | Southern Alamance HS (NC) | SIGNED

Discuss

Marlins reel in Southern Alamance outfielder Sappelt in baseball draft
    June 07, 2012 12:55 AM

Bob Sutton / Times-News

Southern Alamance outfielder Eddie Sappelt was counting on baseball’s amateur draft.

It worked out for Sappelt, who was a 37th-round selection of the Miami Marlins on Wednesday.

“I figured it was going to be them or St. Louis,” Sappelt said prior to an American Legion baseball game.

Sappelt said he intends to sign next week with the Marlins. His likely destination, he said, is with the organization’s Gulf Coast League affiliate in Florida.

Sappelt, who turns 18 in July, said he was monitoring the draft on his phone while in a van traveling to Randolph County for the Burlington-Graham Post 63 game. He received a telephone call from the Marlins right after his name popped up.

“And a lot of support from Post 63,” he said of his teammates.

Sappelt was the 1,127th overall selection. He said he was expecting to be a late-round pick because he didn’t have a solid backup plan to attend college.

“I’ve been sweating it the past couple of days,” Sappelt said. “I had no leverage on that (with a college program).”

Sappelt has been projected as a center fielder or left fielder. He’s a fleet-footed player who is a switch hitter. His defensive skills and ability to track drives in the outfield often have been on display for his high school team and American Legion team.

His brother, outfielder Dave Sappelt, made his major-league debut with the Cincinnati Reds last summer. During the offseason, he was traded and he’s in the Chicago Cubs organization.

Eddie Sappelt said his brother’s background didn’t factor into helping him cope with the draft process, particularly because his brother was drafted out of Coastal Carolina.
    http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/a...-baseball.html

Comment

I like Dave Sappelt.

Comment

SIGNED on GCL Roster

Comment

Working...
        X