Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 32 | Ty Williams | RHP | Sulphur HS (OK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 32 | Ty Williams | RHP | Sulphur HS (OK)

Discuss

was headed to Seminole State CC:

As part of a talented and deep senior class, Ty Williams was one of the guiding forces for the strong season on the baseball diamond for the Sulphur Bulldogs.

Now, with his prep career rounding up, Williams has taken the next step in his life and his game, signing a scholarship to attend Seminole State Community College and continue playing baseball.

“I like it up there,” Williams said. “I like their facilities and they have a great tradition.”

Williams, who has a fastball that has reached up to 92 mph at times, will continue to work on the mound at Seminole, as well as spending time as a position player.

With Williams’ natural talent, guided by the veteran staff at Seminole, Sulphur head coach Corey Cole sees a bright future for his charge.

“It’s not very often that kids get to go to the next level to do what they want to do,” Cole said. “Ty is a special athlete. He’s raw and Seminole is a good place for his talent to be reshaped.”

In addition to Williams, Cole sees the opportunity for other members of that Sulphur senior class in collegiate ball.

“I think this is just going to get the ball rolling,” Cole said. “We had a very special class of players this year.”

And as for the younger athletes to follow, Cole sees Williams as a shining beacon of what determination and effort can bring to a young athlete.

“It’s always refreshing for the young kids to see that all their work can pay off,” Cole said.
    http://www.ardmoreite.com/features/x...-with-Seminole
    --------------------
    Ty Williams has been smiling since he was a little boy.

The light-hearted, blonde-headed senior was grinning from ear-to-ear on Tuesday, as he signed his LOI to play baseball at Seminole State Junior College next fall.

Williams, who was a four-year starter for the Bulldogs at SS and P, is elated about taking his game to the next level.

“I’m ready to go play,” said Williams. “I really like Seminole (State) and I’m excited to get up there and get everything going.”

Seminole State JC has been a hot spot for Division I universities, as well as professional endeavors.

The Trojans have over 180 players to play professionally and have made 15 NJCAA World Series appearances, making Seminole State one of the top JuCo programs in the nation.

This season, the Trojans finished with a record of 41-15 and were recently eliminated by Connors State Junior College, in the semi finals of the NJCAA Regional II tournament.

“They’ve been really good in the past,” said Williams. “They have a bunch of talented guys up there right now, so hopefully, I’ll be able to come in and contribute to their success.”

Not only is Williams excited about joining such a successful institution, he’s glad he’ll be able to remain in some familiar spots on the diamond.

“They told me I’m going to pitch and play shortstop; which will be nice, because that’s what I’ve done my whole career,” Williams said.

The do-it-all athlete comes from a long-line of Bulldogs, as his father, Randy, and brother, Colt, both played football at Sulphur, while his mother, Melody, and sister, Ashley, were track and basketball standouts for the Dogs. Williams also has a younger sister, Reilly, who is in the 8th grade.

Williams, who also starred in football at Sulphur, was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Bulldogs, amassing over 2,400 yards and 24 touchdowns through the air, while running for 2,200 yards and 22 scores in 27 career games.

On Tuesday evening, Williams was named the 2012 Outstanding Male Athlete at the All-Sports Banquet; an almost perfect way to cap off his stellar four-year career.

“It was an honor,” said Williams. “I loved my time at Sulphur, and winning that award meant a lot to me.”

Long-time family friend and former Sulphur standout, Bear Runyan, presented Williams the award, an honor he had received in his senior year, 18 years ago.

Runyan presented the plaque to the slender young man, dressed in boots; Williams shook his hand and turned to face the camera.

You guessed it; he smiled.
    http://whittnessthis.blogspot.com/20...igns-with.html
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Sulphur’s Williams drafted by Marlins
      Miami selects Bulldogs senior in 32nd round

Ty Williams of Sulphur received a pleasant surprise on Wednesday, as the senior was drafted in the 32nd round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Miami Marlins.

The Marlins selected Williams (6-foot-2, 195 pounds) with the ninth pick of the round, 977th overall. The two-time All-Ardmoreite Super Team selection in baseball finished his senior season with a .398 batting average, three home runs, 40 RBIs and 17 stolen bases. But he’ll possibly start a professional career as a right-handed pitcher.

“He’s had a few conversations with the Miami Marlins lately,” Sulphur coach Corey Cole said Wednesday. “One of the scouts stayed in touch with him. He (Williams) had a gut feeling he might end up going late.”

That scout, Steve Taylor of the Marlins, called Williams at his home Wednesday around midday with the announcement. Williams said he hasn’t made a decision whether to sign with the Marlins or continue his track to college ball via his commitment to Seminole State.

“I had talked to a scout about it, but didn’t know if or when they would,” Williams said on being drafted. “I haven’t talked to them about money or anything yet. It just depends on what me and my family think.

“It’s a pretty big deal. It’s been a longtime dream... a dream come true.”

The Marlins have a history of drafting Oklahoma prospects. Current pitching staff ace Josh Johnson prepped at Jenks High School, former Carl Albert slugger J.T. Realmuto was drafted in the third round in 2010, and in 2009 the Marlins selected Yukon lefty Chad James No. 14 overall in the first round.

In this draft alone, five of the Marlins’ 40 selections have Oklahoma ties. Miami selected Oklahoma State left-handed pitcher Andrew Heaney with the ninth overall selection in the first round, and followed that pick with Eastern Oklahoma State RHP Blake Logan (No. 407 overall), Oklahoma State RHP Blake Barnes (No. 887), Williams and shortstop Alex Polston (No. 1,217), who prepped at Carl Albert.

“His gut feeling now if everything goes the way he wants it to go, he’s gonna go,” Cole said of Williams’ decision. “His dream is he wants to go give it a try. It’s what he’s always wanted to do.

“We’re really proud for him, and to see his dream have a chance to come into play is really neat.”
      http://www.ardmoreite.com/features/x...ted-by-Marlins

Comment

Working...
      X