Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Jackson, RHP

Discuss

Sam Houston - Three-year letterman who has made 58 mound appearances and owns 6-4 career record ... started eight games as a junior in 2010 and threw in relief in 13 other contests ... posted the team's second lowest earned run average ... winning pitcher in first of three-game sweep at UTSA, striking out seven Roadrunner batters ... threw for five or more innings in five games in 2010 ... ... pitched in relief in 21 games and started twice as sophomore in 2009 ... winning pitcher against Prairie View, Texas Southern and Houston Baptist ... appeared in 10 games as relief pitcher ... credited with victories over Lamar and Central Arkansas ... longest performances included four and a third innings against both South Dakota State and Dallas Baptist

High School - Four-year starter for Magnolia ... All-District and preseason All-America ... hit .396 and had 0.94 ERA and 5-1 record as pitcher his senior season ... played for the Houston Heat club team ... helped lead Team Texas to 2006 Sunbelt Classic title ... participated in Texas Scouts Association all-star game at Ameriquest Field
    http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1336096
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

One Bearkat was offered every little leaguer’s dream: A chance to pitch in the big leagues. Sam Houston State University senior pitcher Justin Jackson was drafted by the Miami Marlins during the 27 round (827 overall) in the MLB draft on June 6.

Jackson ended his collegiate season 9-4, which included a win over the Rice Owls in the postseason NCAA tournament that kept the Bearkats in the tournament.

This season the right-hander from Magnolia, Texas led the team in wins and was second in the lineup with a 2.69 ERA. He pitched two complete games and tallied up 65 strikeouts.

Jackson managed a 15-6 record and struck out 152 batters (17 best in SHSU history) and totaled a 3.95 ERA over his college career.

Jackson was designated an All-Southland honorable mention selection last season.

He is keeping the Bearkat streak of draftees alive by being drafted; as this is the seventh consecutive season that SHSU has had at least one player drafted. Jackson is the 41st Bearkat selected in the MLB draft.

The 23-year-old kinesiology major has been playing ball since he was eight years old.

“It is definitely a change of scenery,” Jackson said. “I got drafted on Wednesday, and went back up to Huntsville and moved all my stuff out, and was on a plane on Sunday [to Jupiter, Fla].”

“Jupiter is where all the new [Marlin] draftees come to get a physical, and we have a three-day camp, and then they assign us to a team,” Jackson said.

The draftees, including Jackson, will be assigned to either the Marlin’s National League team, or a triple-A, double-A or single-A team.

Jackson knows hard work is the key that got him to Jupiter.

“I had Tommy John surgery in April of last year and I knew it would take a lot of hard work to get to where I wanted to go,” he said. I've learned through that, that if you truly want something you are going to have to work hard at it and be relentless.”

Tommy John surgery is commonly performed on athletes’ elbows that have been badly damaged after years of great stress from the repetitive motions of baseball.

Although Jackson will continue making new memories, his past memories with SHSU’s team won’t be forgotten.

“I definitely enjoyed my time at SHSU,” Jackson said. “I met some good people and was a part of three championship teams: 2008 and 2009 Conference Tournament Champions and 2012 Southland Conference Champions. The relationships with the friends I have played with here, I will forever cherish.”

Jackson is humble and knows he didn’t get to Jupiter on his own.

“If I didn't have the coaches that I have had, to help me become a better person, and a better ballplayer, I wouldn’t be here,” he said.
      http://www.houstonianonline.com/spor...3#.T9c-PtXLxWw

I don't like the bobbob who wrote this, every sentence is a new paragraph and he said Marlin's instead of Marlins'. And come on, draftees don't get assigned assigned to the majors. Or AAA. Or AA.
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Polky View Post
        And come on, draftees don't get assigned assigned to the majors. Or AAA. Or AA.
        It happens sometimes.

Comment

It has been quite a week for former Sam Houston State pitcher Justin Jackson. On July 13 he picked up his first professional win, playing for the Gulf Coast League Marlins. On Wednesday afternoon he stepped it up a notch.

Jackson, along with two teammates tossed a perfect game against the GCL Astros. Jackson, who got the start, worked the first six innings, retiring all 18 batters he faced. Patrick Merkling pitched one inning of relief and Dane Stone closed out the last two frames for the perfect game. In his six innings of work, Jackson struck out six hitters and induced seven ground-ball outs.

"I knew I hadn't pitched from the stretch," said Jackson in an interview with MiLB.com, who had never been a part of a no-hitter.

Jackson estimated he threw about 70 pitches and understood why he was lifted two-thirds of the way through the game.

"That's not the name of the game down here," he said, referring to the developmental aspect of the Rookie-level league.

The Astros lineup featured No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa, who grounded out and popped out in his two at bats against Jackson.
          In six appearances this season for the GCL Marlins, Jackson is now 2-1 on the year, having made four starts, including the last three. He has an ERA of 1.57 in 23 innings of work, allowing just nine hits and four runs. He has recorded 16 strikeouts, just four walks while allowing opposing hitters an average of .115.

Jackson was selected in June in the 27th round by the Miami Marlins. He finished his senior season 9-4 for the Bearkats, including a victory in the NCAA Tournament keeping the Kasts alive in the postseason. He was the 827th overall player selected.

He led the team in wins and was second on the club with a 2.69 ERA. He struck out 65 batters this season and tossed a pair of complete games.

He finished his career with a record of 15-6 and notched 152 strikeouts and a 3.95 ERA. His strikeout mark is 17th best in school history. This past season Jackson was name an All-Southland honorable mention selection.

Jackson was the 41st Bearkat selected in the Major League Baseball draft. It is the seventh straight season the Bearkats have had at least one players selected.
          http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines...6.html?ref=056

Comment

Working...
          X