Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian "Bubba" Keene, OF

Discuss

Goes by Bubba however we gotta figure out his name LOL-BA says Garrett Keane,paper says Bubba Keene and college site says Christian Keene

6'4 190lbs and looks like he wants to sign

http://www.fox40tv.com/content/sport...Q30xa94cQ.cspx

http://www.dailyleader.com/sports/ar...9bb2963f4.html
    Last edited by tjfla; 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Signed

Keene becomes a Miami Marlin

Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:00 pm
      By JAMES O. COVINGTON, DAILY LEADER Sports Writer

The Miami Marlins hope that Brookhaven is the home to their future centerfielder and Christian 'Bubba' Keene hopes the same. The fleet-footed Keene made it official Sunday afternoon, signing with the Miami Marlins after the team drafted him in the 17th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft last week.

Keene, will report to Jupiter, Florida Tuesday night for team physicals and assignments.
      "I'm ready to get going and start back playing," said Keene, who graduated from Brookhaven Academy last month. "This is a dream come true."
      By signing, Keene elects to forego a baseball scholarship he signed with Copiah-Lincoln Community College. He also signed a football pact with the Wolves.

"Me and my family thought about the options I had, but at the end of the day they just told me to do what I wanted to do," added Keene, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound outfielder. "The Marlins gave me a deal I couldn't turn down."
      Keene will take part in a week-long mini camp with Marlins rookies this week before starting a 60-game regular season next week in the Rookie level Gulf Coast League.

"He's a guy we targeted and we liked," said Marlins area scout Mark Willoughby. "A lot of guys in our system scouted him and he impressed them and myself too."

The Marlins drafted three high school outfielders in last week's draft, with Keene being one of them.

"I'm proud for Bubba and his family," said BA head baseball coach Casey Edwards. "It's also a proud moment for our program and school."
      Over the last three years, three Brookhaven Academy graduates have been taken in the MLB Draft:: outfielder Corey Dickerson by the Colorado Rockies in the 8th round of the 2010 draft and catcher Kolby Byrd by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 13th round of last year's draft.

"I love the game of baseball and to have the opportunity to play pro ball is really something I couldn't turn down," said Keene. "Last month I was playing my last high school game at BA, and now I'm about to play my first game as a pro. It's a bittersweet feeling."

Keene's outstanding athletic ability made him a college prospect in baseball and football. He was selected The DAILY LEADER's Most Valuable Player on the 2011 All-Lincoln County Football Team and the MVP on the All-County Baseball Team. In football, Keene played wide receiver, running back, defensive back and punter, plus returning kickoffs and punts.
      http://www.dailyleader.com/sports/ar...a4bcf887a.html

Comment

Assigned to GCL: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=t_ros&cid=467
        Christian Yelich
        LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
        12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
        100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
        .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

no idea how this went unnoticed and unreported:

After a few weeks playing minor league baseball, Bubba Keene has decided to leave the organization and return to Mississippi. The former Brookhaven Academy standout is working out with the football team at Copiah-Lincoln CC right now and will play for them in the fall.

Keene originally signed with Co-Lin last year but was ready to give college up when the Marlins drafted him in the 17th round last month. Keene signed a pro contract and reported to play for their minor league club, the Gulf Coast Marlins.

He only played in two games there and was hitless in his 5 at-bats. Keene tells me he made the decision to give up pro baseball for now and return to Mississippi and take his scholarship to play football at Co-Lin.

The Marlins have placed him on their restricted list, meaning no other major league teams can claim him and he might not be able to play college baseball at any level.

We will have more on Keene's decision to come back later in the week.
          http://www.fox40tv.com/content/sport...n1yaMwOrA.cspx
          --------------------
          that was on July 9th
          --------------------
          and this was a week before that:

Sources close to the Miami Marlins have confirmed that Brookhaven Academy product Christian "Bubba" Keene has left the organization due to off the field issues and plans to focus on playing football at Copiah-Lincoln Community College. The Marlins were officially notified by Keene of his decision Saturday evening.

Keene is no longer a member of the franchise. Attempts to reach him by phone were unsuccessful.

The move, which comes three weeks after Keene reported to the Marlins Spring Training Complex in Jupiter, Fla. caught many off guard including Marlins brass. Keene was drafted by the Marlins last month in the 17th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.

Keene originally signed a football/baseball scholarship with Co-Lin, before agreeing to a lucrative contract with the Miami Marlins , which is now voided, as well as his pro baseball draft status going forward. Keene will be ineligible to be picked in any future baseball drafts. He will be eligible to play football at Co-Lin this fall as a freshmen.

The BA product was named The DAILY LEADER's Most Valuable Player on the 2011 All-Lincoln County Football Team as a receiver and the MVP on the All-County Baseball Team as a centerfielder. Keene worked out for several pro baseball teams in the month of May, following the Cougars season.

In two games as a member of the Marlins rookie level Gulf Coast League team based in Jupiter, Fla., he batted five times and struck out four times. He batted .000. while playing centerfield.
          http://www.dailyleader.com/sports/ar...a4bcf887a.html
          Last edited by emkayseven; 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Beinfest_virus.exe
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Waste of a pick,we gotta start doing mental exams and not just physicals on these guys.

All I know is I hope we got ever penny back from him,just like we do to the guys who's contracts we VOID after they fail the physical

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Waste of a pick,we gotta start doing mental exams and not just physicals on these guys.

Comment

To expand...you're blaming the organization for this?

What exactly were they supposed to do? Read the kid's mind about his desire to play football. I'm willing to guess he told teams he wanted to play baseball...considering he signed.

Comment

Working...
                  X