Matt Milroy, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT ILLINOIS
    2011 - Sophomore: Appeared in 12 games, including two starts, on the season ... Went 2-2 with a 6.03 ERA while striking out 20 batters in 31.1 innings of work ... Held opponents to a .167 average (4-for-24) with two outs ... Earned his first win of the season with a scoreless 2/3 of an inning at Southern Illinois on March 20 ... Allowed only one run in four innings in a start at Bradley on April 5 ... Held Iowa to one run in three innings of relief on April 9 ... Tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief vs. Southern Illinois on April 13 ... Threw a season-high five innings in a start against Illinois-Springfield on April 26 ... Allowed only two earned runs in 3 1/3 innings of relief against No. 20 Stanford on June 5 ... Played for the Madison Mallards of the Northwoods League along with Illini teammates Willie Argo and Justin Parr during the summer.

2010 - Freshman: Appeared in 11 games, including seven starts ... Made his first career start against Chicago State on March 31, earning his first career win by allowing only one run in five innings while striking out five ... Allowed only one run in a four-inning start against Southern Illinois on April 14 ... Tossed a perfect inning of relief against Bradley on April 27 ... Struck out five and only allowed two earned runs in a four-inning start against SIU on May 4 ... Made his first career start at Ohio State on May 9, giving up three earned runs in two innings ... Played for the Fayetteville SwampDogs of the Coastal Plain League during the summer along with Illini teammate Lee Zerrusen, seeing time both on the mound and in the field.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Drafted in the 35th round of the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft by the Boston Red Sox ... Listed as the No. 8 recruit in the state of Illinois by Prep Baseball Report ... PBR lists him as the No. 1 two-way player, as having the No. 4 fastball, as the No. 7 defensive outfielder and the No. 9 best athlete in the state in the Class of 2009 ... Named the Tri-Cities captain on the Daily Herald All-Area team ... Named the Aurora Beacon-News Player of the Year in 2009 ... Hit .466 with eight doubles, seven triples, four home runs, 35 RBIs and a .556 on-base percentage in 2009 ... Also went 7-2 with a 1.76 ERA and 101 strikeouts in only 51 2/3 innings in 2009 ... Hit .467 with 44 RBIs, seven home runs, a .900 slugging percentage and 43 hits in 2008 ... Blasted three home runs in Marmion's sectional game in 2008 ... Named American Legion League MVP ... Named All-Area by the Aurora Beacon News, the Daily Herald and the Kane County Chronicle ... Named the 2008 Beacon News Player of the Year ... Broke the Marmion records for average, home runs and RBIs in 2008 ... Played in the Plainfield South Showcase ... Member of Team Illinois, a summer club team ... Three-year baseball letterwinner.
    http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...oy_matt00.html
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

According to BA-he is signed

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/sport...1th-round.html
      Last edited by tjfla; 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

suspended 50 games for substance abuse

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

Comment

awesome sauce
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Matt Milroy takes full responsibility for taking what he says he found out later was a pre-workout supplement that had an illegal substance.

“It was my mistake. I didn’t do my research,” said the 21-year-old right-handed pitcher in the Miami Marlins’ organization.

He was one of three pitchers receiving a 50-game suspension announced Thursday by Major League Baseball for testing positive for use of a banned substance — Methylhexeanamine.

“It had nothing to do with the training staff. It was my choice to take the supplement and take it without checking with the trainers,” said Milroy, who was 2-3 with a 4.11 ERA in nine outings since joining the Jamestown Jammers, Miami’s short-season Class A team in the New York-Penn League, in June.

The two-time Beacon News Baseball Player of the Year (2008-09) from Marmion Academy was drafted out of the University of Illinois in the 11th round of this year’s free agent draft. He received a $100,000 bonus to sign according to multiple reports.

“I had run out of a pre-workout supplement that I had been taking at school and at home before the draft that apparently has an energy ingredient that was illegal,” said Milroy. “(Methylhexeanamine) is apparently found in certain pre-workout supplements. I hadn’t really done my complete research on it.”

Milroy said he thought the over-the-counter supplement, which he wouldn’t divulge, was similar to “pre-workout supplements a lot of athletes take. It’s not uncommon.”

A report on MiLB.com, the official website of minor league baseball, said the “substance was initially created as a nasal decongestant, but it goes by a variety of names and can be found in some muscle-building products as an energy booster.”

Five players have been suspended this year for using it.
            Eight players total were suspended this week for violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, bringing the total for the year to 65.

“It’s definitely my responsibility,” Milroy repeated. “It’s something I’ll have to deal with. The coaches and organization are behind me. They know I wasn’t trying to cheat.”

Milroy has returned to his parents’ Batavia home and will miss his team’s remaining 22 games. After the 2013 spring training, he will serve the rest of the suspension with his new team.

“I can only tell you he was placed on the restricted list,” said Jammers’ media relations officer Justin Michael. “Milroy is still under contract but will not pitch (and will not be paid) the remainder of the season.”

The other two players suspended were Milroy’s teammate, righty Bryan Berglund and Pittsburgh lefty Zack Dodson. Berglund, also 21, wasn’t as fortunate after he was suspended for the same substance. The Marlins released him. Now a free agent, he will have to serve his suspension with any other organization that signs him.

Dodson was suspended for a second violation for what MiLB.com termed a “drug of abuse.”

Berglund was a second-round draft choice for the team in 2009, signed late that year but then missed the next two seasons with shoulder injuries. He didn’t make his pro debut until this past June with the Jammers.

“I don’t really think I should comment on (Berglund’s situation),” said Milroy. “That was the organization’s decision. Yes, it was the same supplement. It wasn’t anything we were doing together. Obviously, it’s something I’m not proud of happening.”

Michael referred other questions to the Marlins’ media relations coordinator, Jon Alvarez, who did not respond to a Beacon News e-mail.

Milroy said this was not the first time he had been tested, “about once every month, I’d say.”

He said he’s since learned “the ingredient isn’t in your body for very long since it is just an energy ingredient.”

Milroy was drafted after posting a 5-10 record with a 5.72 ERA in 43 appearances in his three seasons at Illinois. His fastball was clocked in the low 90s and he has a good slider and was thought to be a strong prospect who needed to harness control issues. He had 105 strikeouts and 84 walks in 111 innings pitched for the Illini. He had 30 strikeouts with 23 walks in 35 innings of work for Jamestown.

“I can take it one of two ways,” said Milroy. “It’s something that maybe puts me down in the dumps or now I need to work even harder.”

He said he plans to choose the latter.
            http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/sport...violation.html

Comment

347) Matt Milroy, RHP, Miami Marlins: Slot bonus college pitcher who throws hard but was erratic in college. 4.11 ERA with 30/23 K/BB in 35 innings for Jamestown in the NY-P. Ended year suspended for drug violation.
              http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...h-round-update

Comment

MLBPipeline #24 Prospect

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 40 | Overall: 45

Milroy has long impressed scouts with his pure stuff, but his erratic command has held him back. He took a step forward in 2014, making the South Atlantic All-Star Game for Class A Greensboro, but again struggled with his command after a second-half promotion to Class A Advanced Jupiter.

Milroy's best weapon is his fastball-slider combination. His fastball can reach up to 95 mph, though he more typically dials it back some to gain more control. His mid-80s slider can be a swing-and-miss offering thanks to its late, biting action. He seldom uses his changeup, which lags behind his other two pitches.

While Milroy's fastball-slider combination and the low arm slot he throws from make him tough on hitters, he has averaged more than five walks per nine innings as a professional. He will need to throw strikes more consistently to stay in the rotation as he advances to the upper levels of the Minor Leagues.
                http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=mia

Comment

Working...
                X