X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jupiter: Austin Dean, OF

Discuss.
    --------------------
    Played a lot of 1B in HS, moved to 2B recently, Marlins are listing him in OF
    --------------------
    http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=240426

Austin Dean is a 2012 1B/3B/2B with a 6-1 185 lb. frame from Spring, TX who attends Klein Collins HS. Strong athletic build, strong core, looks bigger than list. Simple balanced swing mechanics, very good bat speed, looks to pull, has some lift in his swing, very good extension through contact, confident hitter, consistent hard contact, looks and acts like a hitter. 6.74 runner, runs the bases well, played first base but has the athletic ability and arm for any corner position. Good student, verbal commitment to Texas.
    http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=240426
    --------------------
    Ranked 55/100 by ESPN's top 100 HS players: http://espn.go.com/high-school/baseb...07/austin-dean
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

7. Austin Dean, 3B, Klein Collins (Spring, Texas) I liked Dean more than most at the Area Code Games. He showed no glaring weaknesses despite the lack of a standout tool, but the power potential is apparent and he stings the ball consistently in batting practice. He's adept at going the other way and reminds some of a young Casey Blake. If he shows he can stick at third, he's a Day 2 pick. Dean is committed to the University of Texas.
    http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2012/0...son-lance.html
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

video here: http://www.maxpreps.com/local/player...4-793eaa35229d

Austin Dean is a 2012 2B/3B with a 6-1 185 lb. frame from Spring, TX who attends Klein Collins. Dean has an athletic build, smooth actions in the infield, good glove, has bat speed, ball comes off well, hits hard line drives, very good all around player, plays hard, gamer. One to watch; Outstanding all-around talent. - 2010 National Perfect Game Showcase

Dean was a perfect 3 for 3 in the game with a double and 1 RBI. He takes a patient and confident approach to the plate along with a mechanically sound swing and good bat speed. His line drive contact swing helps him to drive the ball with regular contact to all fields. Dean stepped up to the plate and blasted a grand slam home run which would end up as the game winner. He has raw power with excellent bat speed and good extension, making him a good middle of the order type run producer for his team. Dean has a sound hitting approach with a line drive swing that makes the ball jump off of his bat. He makes very hard contact in his at bats, and can drive the ball with regular contact. - 2011 18U BCS Nationals
      Austin Dean is a 3 yr letter-man for the Klein Collins Tigers. Austin Dean has some of the quickest hands I’ve ever seen in a high school baseball player. He consistently hits balls in the gap with tremendous power. He has the potential of hitting to all areas of the field with power also. Not only is he a tremendous offensive threat, he has been a defensive cornerstone over at first base. He has played 3rd, 2nd and is presently at 1st base. His ability to hit a ball with great power makes him one of the most dangerous bats in one off the toughest baseball districts in the state of Texas, district 13-5a. I expect Austin Dean to have a phenomenal year for us offensively and defensively. He was one of our home run leaders and also hit for a high average. His power in the batter’s box is a sight to see. Austin Dean will carry on his talents after Klein Collins to the University of Texas where he will continue his baseball career. The sky’s the limit for this athlete. I’m glad he’s on my team. – Miguel Carlos, Head Baseball Coach; Klein Collins High School
      http://powershowcase.lockerdome.com/members/austin-dean
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

1B Austin Dean (Klein Collins HS, Spring, TX): Dean is a hard profile for scouts, as he is a right handed hitting first baseman with 6.7 speed, a very unusual combination, but as much as scouts would like to see him at another position his arm probably won’t allow it. His right handed bat is so good and so advanced though that it doesn’t matter, though. He projects to go in the third to fifth rounds and is probably the one "realistic" recruit on this list that the Longhorn coach staff is really hoping makes it through the draft and to campus. Longhorn Potential: 50%
        http://www.burntorangenation.com/201...cruiting-class
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

This page exemplifies why it is largely useless to get worked up about players based on scouting reports.

scouts would like to see him at another position his arm probably won’t allow it.
          has the athletic ability and arm for any corner position.
          poop

Comment

per MLB:

He may not be Exhibit A in a how-to video on batting stances and approaches, but Dean's ability to punish a baseball is the main reason he's in the Top 100. Dean has quick hands and strength, which leads to above-average raw power. He does it with an unorthodox swing and there are, as a result, some holes, but when he makes contact, it's hard. He goes all-out at all times, which allows him to use his solid average speed well. He's likely limited to first base or maybe left field at the next level because of fringy defensive tools. His size, bat speed and power potential lead to a Jonny Gomes comparison and the team that takes him will hope he lives up to that billing.

Comment

we interviewed Austin here: http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=5253

Comment

Signed

Marlins ink fourth-rounder Dean
                6/10/2012 9:18:49 PM

The Miami Marlins have signed talented second baseman and fourth-round pick Austin Dean for $379,000. The pick value allotted to Dean, the No. 137 overall pick of the MLB draft, was $333,500.

Dean was thought to be one of the few highly regarded University of Texas recruits that might end on campus. However, the Marlins met his demands and he will now begin his professional career.
                http://www.perfectgame.org/blogs/Entry.aspx?entry=13715
                Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-12-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

yay

he's my new fave

Comment

Assigned to GCL: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=t_ros&cid=467
                    Christian Yelich
                    LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
                    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
                    100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
                    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

137) Austin Dean, OF, Miami Marlins: .223/.337/.338 with 24 walks, 35 strikeouts in 148 at-bats for Gulf Coast League Marlins. Two steals. Draws walks but that's about it so far.
                      http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-round-updates

Comment

Playing for the Gulf Coast Marlins this year, 18-year-old Austin Dean was drafted in the fourth round of the 2012 MLB Draft by the Miami Marlins. Dean has quickly become one of the Marlins top outfield prospects being ranked by MLB.com as the 17th best prospect in the organization. Dean came out of the Texas high school baseball system and is described as a solid hitter with an unorthodox batting style at the plate. Almost similar to Jonny Gomes.

This was his fist year in the Marlins organization and in his first year Dean batted .223/.337/.338 with two home runs and 15 RBI in 47 games for the baby Fish. He was able to go 33-for-148 at the plate and of those 33 hits, Dean connected on 11 doubles. The GCL Marlins finished one game under .500 this season with a 29-30 record, 5.5 games behind the GCL Cardinals.

It is hard to decide how great Dean is going to be as he may not see Major League playing until the 2016 or 2017 unless he really surges through the ranks. The way it looks like right now, Dean could eventually see time in the corner outfield one day with the Marlins if he does not fizzle out. He did play a little bit on the infield but not too much to be considered relevant around the diamond.

What we do know, however, is that Dean still has a lot of grooming to go through. He is only at the rookie level which does not take much to prove yourself worthy. Dean will have to see how he does at High-A and Low-A ball when he gets promoted sometime between now and next season.
                        http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2012/0...1FsWOGXs1TB.99

Comment

In past years, high school draftees -- especially ones with strong college commitments -- would wait until the last minute to sign at the deadline in mid-August. Luckily for the Marlins and fourth-round pick Austin Dean, the rules changed in 2012.

In the past, Dean might have waited for Aug. 15 to decide whether to sign or go to the University of Texas, but the prepster from the Lone Star State did not delay, signing just days after the Draft for just a touch over the signing bonus value of pick No. 137.

The result was that Dean got 47 games and 148 at-bats in the Gulf Coast League under his belt before attending the Marlins' shortened instructional league session. Dean, ranked No. 16 on the Marlins' Top 20 Prospects list, is the first to admit that he is way ahead of where he might have been had his Draft year occurred before the rules changes.

"Honestly, the kids who signed at the last minute, they'd play for three weeks maybe?" Dean said. "I got a little bit of what it'll be like next year. Being out there for three months, being by myself, I benefited from signing early and playing a whole season.

"The first couple of weeks I was homesick, but I just got myself into a routine every day. I'm already ready for Spring Training and next season."

While his production during his pro debut doesn't jump off the page -- a .223/.337/.338 line -- Dean was able to begin work on developing his offensive approach in the GCL. That continued in earnest at the instructional league, where Dean was able to reap the benefits of more individual attention. As a result, he was one of the stars of the recently-concluded Marlins' camp.

"Our version of [the instructional league] went for 15 days," Marlins farm director Brian Chattin said. "The Cardinals and Mets held camp at the same time, so we got a fair amount of games in as well.

"[Dean] made some development strides, which is what you hope for your guys when they're in instructional league, to work on some of the deficiencies in their game."

During his pro debut, it became evident to the Marlins that Dean's approach wasn't allowing him to tap into the raw power he clearly had. He was losing his balance because of some issues with his lower half, so he wasn't able to take advantage of his above-average bat speed. But by the time he left camp, the Marlins feel pretty confident that Dean is headed in the right direction offensively.

"He made some strides during the season, and here in camp, we think he got to a comfortable spot," Chattin said. "His balance improved and his hands worked better as a result. He showed consistent hard contact in game action. You could tell he was very confident in his approach at the plate. We're happy with where we left things when camp ended."

Dean credits the extra work he was able to get in with hitting coordinator Barry Moss for the improvement. Not only did they work on his lower half, so he could use his quick hands, they also talked about not over-thinking while at the plate.

"They sat me down and detailed everything I need to do," Dean said. "The cage work all day helped it improve a lot."

It's not just Dean's offensive game that made strides. An infielder in high school, Dean has played the outfield exclusively as a pro to date. He played all three outfield positions in the GCL, and the Marlins feel Dean is athletic enough right now to warrant a look in center. As he physically matures, he could end up in an outfield corner or maybe even back in the infield as a first baseman, but for now, he's preparing for life in the outfield full-time in 2013.

"I'd never played the outfield before," Dean said. "Having the transition was a huge jump. I didn't go in there with any knowledge with what to do. Throughout the season, I picked it up more and more and had my teammates help me out. There's not a lot of action, but going into [the instructional league], I improved a lot. I worked hard, listened to what our outfield coordinator told me to do.

"That's going to be a priority, working on the outfield and getting more comfortable out there."

It's clear that the work needed to succeed isn't something that scares Dean away. He enjoyed his time at the instructional league and knows exactly what he needs to do to be ready for what lies ahead. "When I first started, I didn't get a lot of work in," Dean said. "We didn't have time to, we were getting ready for the season. That first game, I felt a lot of pressure, going from high [school] to the pro game. It's a big jump. I think I handled it well. [The instructional league] was fun for me, though, it was a grind and I worked my butt off.

"This is a job now and you have to treat it that way. I love baseball and that's why I'm out here. Anything I can do to get better and reach the ultimate goal, I'm going to do it. I don't want anything to stop me from playing."
                          http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...s_mia&c_id=mia

Comment

He has a cool name.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

MLBPipeline #11 Prospect

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Drafted as a shortstop out of the Texas high school ranks, Dean moved to the outfield in the Minor Leagues. He advanced to full-season ball in 2014 and authored an All-Star campaign, despite two stints on the disabled list with minor injuries.

Dean has a very quick swing, a mature approach and a knack for putting the barrel on the ball. He cut his strikeout rate in 2014 and has shown an ability to make adjustments at the plate. He has some raw power, but doesn't get to it much during games because his swing is geared to produce line drives. Defensively, his arm strength and speed are best suited for left field.

As a right-handed hitting left fielder without big power or speed, Dean will face some challenges to become an everyday player. But his feel for hitting gives him a chance to outperform his profile.
                              http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=mia

John Sickels #8 Prospect

8) Austin Dean, OF, Grade B-/Borderline C+: Age 21, hit .308/.371/.444 with nine homers, 38 walks, 72 strikeouts in 403 at-bats in Low-A, was 20 last year and slightly young for the Sally League. Scouts worry that arm strength and mediocre speed could make him a tweener but his bat has been steadily improving. I like him more than other people do but he seems like a sleeper to me, if he can tap his power a bit more often which seems plausible.
                              http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/...pects-for-2015

Comment

Working...
                              X