8/8 - 814 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
    Two starts and 8 of those runs came in two innings and the 9th should be unearned if I know anything about how errors are scored. His first start was excellent. The last 5.2 inning of his second start was excellent and he did get let down a bit by his defense last night. Don't just post stats and say he sucks. Hand's not exactly blown people away, either.
    The scorer has a little bit of leeway with this one, if it's the second inning run last night that you're talking about. Woodward would've been on first had there been no error, then a single to right followed that up. That would likely put him at third (though you could argue he'd go station-to-station and be at second). The next single would've brought him home from third, or possibly even from second if he only advanced one base. I would say more often than not, you'd see that scored an earned run, but again, I think there is some leeway.

Comment

This is so stupid...

He's got a 14 to 9 K to BB ratio against minor leaguers. Come on...
      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        Sometimes, at the end of the day, you are what your stats say you are.

You're pretty illogical when it comes to all things Volstad.

Oh, and I've seen Chris pitch. I've seen all his major league starts just like you. Just like the majority of the people on this forum. Just like Marlins management.

I have not seen him make his 3 starts in AAA, two in which he got lit up. There may have been sun in his eyes, or a mosquito bite to blame, or the wind was blowing out, or the fielders sucked or whatever, but he isn't doing well in his 3 starts so far. Let's be honest here.
        Shut up, Mr. wannabescout.

Comment

Two starts and 8 of those runs came in two innings and the 9th should be unearned if I know anything about how errors are scored. His first start was excellent. The last 5.2 inning of his second start was excellent and he did get let down a bit by his defense last night. Don't just post stats and say he sucks. Hand's not exactly blown people away, either.
          This has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Brad Hand right now.

So what if the runs came in the first two innings? Do those innings now not count as much as if they happened in the third inning? I have no clue what you are trying to get at.

Here's how his start on August 3rd went:

1st inning: 2B, 1B, SF, 2B, F7, 2B, HR, G3
          2nd inning: BB, K, F7, BB, BB, (coaching visit), G4-3
          3rd inning: G6-3, 1B, 4-6-3DP
          4th inning: K, 1B, F7, K
          5th inning: K, K, 6-3
          6th inning: G4-3, K, G6-3
          7th inning: 1B, sac bunt

100 pitches, 67 strikes

Clearly, he got better as the game went on, but those first two innings are rough. Now if in his next start, he came out and continued the positives from the last 4.1 innings of the August 3rd start, I would like to think we were on to something. But this was not the case. Here is how his start last night went:

1st inning: F8, 1B, WP, BB, Snider steals 3B, K, F7
          2nd inning: G6-3, K, 1B (advance to third on Dominguez error), 1B, 1B, G6-3
          3rd inning: 1B, 5-4-3DP, F7
          4th inning: G6-3, BB, 1B, F8, 1B, 1B, SB, BB, (coaching visit), F9
          5th inning: K, K, F8

94 pitches, 61 strikes

Another start where he's giving up base runners early and often. It finally came back to haunt him in the 4th inning. Over his last two starts, he has just 3 innings without giving up a base runner.

I don't know any other way to put it, but he's not pitching well right now. I'm sure you will somehow take this as a shot at you or that I don't want Chris to succeed. I want him to. I absolutely do. It's good for the Marlins if he is pitching well. But at best right now, he's a 5th starter but he can't seem to do well against AAA hitters over the last 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            This is so stupid...

He's got a 14 to 9 K to BB ratio against minor leaguers. Come on...
            Talking about Volstad's K/BB ratio is bullshit and you know it. Volstad is not JJ. He has never been a fucking strikeout pitcher. Ever. Quoting his K/BB ratio is meaningless.

By the way, since you like the stay so much, how about Hand's sub-1 K/BB ratio?

Also, all of his hits allowed last night were singles but nobody gives a shot about that apparently. You all just want to shit all over him and tell me that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Comment

Talking about Volstad's K/BB ratio is bullshit and you know it. Volstad is not JJ. He has never been a fucking strikeout pitcher. Ever. Quoting his K/BB ratio is meaningless.

By the way, since you like the stay so much, how about Hand's sub-1 K/BB ratio?

Also, all of his hits allowed last night were singles but nobody gives a shot about that apparently. You all just want to shit all over him and tell me that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.
              THIS IS NOT ABOUT HAND VS. VOLSTAD YOU DUMB ASSHOLE.

Chris Volstad is not a strikeout pitcher, that's great. That means that you can't get away with walking a batter every other inning against AAA hitters. How can you ignore that?

Great, he only allowed singles last night. He also walked 3 guys in 5 innings, so he allowed 11 baserunners, for a 2.1 WHIP. That's dreadful, even if he's only giving up singles.
              poop

Comment

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Comment

How is it not Hand vrs. Volstad? You think Hand deserves to fucking stay in the rotation? He who averages 3 walks a game and has only pitched into the 6th inning twice in eight games (one against the Astros who really are fielding a AA team this year) deserves to stay in the rotation? Look at his stats in my sig? He's averaging less than 5 innings a start and, until yesterday, had been extremely lucky not to get shelled a couple times. Just compare that to Volstad's last 8 starts in the majors and you'll see a big difference.

Yes, they both have things to work on but at least Volstad isn't going to drain the bullpen every 5 days.

Comment

Because he's not Chris Volstad.

Comment

I don't hate him but he's not ready for the majors and he's going to start getting shelled now that teams have seen him and have video on him. Look at last night. The second time facing a team didn't go so well, did it? Having him up and putting so much pressure on the bullpen is not good for anyone.
                      Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Brad Hand sucking does not make Chris Volstad suck less.
                        poop

Comment

It's not about who sucks more. It's supposed to be about having the best 25 guys on the major league team. Brad Hand is not pitching better than Volstad.

Comment

What pressure? We suck. Rather let the kid go out there and see if he can figure some stuff out than let that sub-mediocre goofy mother fucker get his shit rocked every 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
                              Do you agree with her that Volstad>Hand?
                              Yes. That has nothing to do with the discussion, which is that Chris Volstad is pitching extremely poorly in AAA. I also think Brad Hand has a higher ceiling than Volstad.

I do not think that either should be with the major league team and both could benefit from spending the rest of the season in the minors.

I said it before, I'd rather see a retread like Chris Sampson finish out the season and see if Volstad or Hand can figure things out down there.
                              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                What pressure? We suck. Rather let the kid go out there and see if he can figure some stuff out than let that sub-mediocre goofy mother fucker get his shit rocked every 5 days.
                                Do you know how retarded that sounds? They both need to fucking figure shit out and Hand is the one that is going to get his shit rocked every 5 days now that the league has video on him. But God forbid me stand between you and hating Volstad.

Why do you want Hand to stay and figure shit out than have Volstad up there and figure shit out? At least Volstad will give you more than 5 innings a start.
                                Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X