• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 47 | Joel Thys | C | Ohlone College

Discuss.
    --------------------
    6'1 185

from per-fect-game.org:

Very good receiver with some easy LH power - quick, good arm, loves to play, good at PG National
    Joel Thys is a 2009 C/MIF with a 6'1'', 185 lb. frame from Auburn, CA who attends Placer HS. Joel is a solidly built athletic catcher who shows good catch and throw skills. He popped a 1.92 in the workout and showed arm strength behind the plate. He is a switch hitting catcher with a line drive swing plane. He hits line drives to all fields from both sides of the plate. He has strength in his swing with leverage. Most importantly Thys has a great feel for the game, knows how to play the game, and it is obvious that he loves being on the field. He is also a good student and has verbally committed to Long Beach State.
    --------------------
    from 2007 per-fect-game.org:

Joel Thys is a 2009 C/SS/3B with a 6'1'', 185 lb. frame from Auburn, CA who attends Placer HS. He was selected as a Top Prospect at this event and in our minds rates as one of the top '09 catchers in the nation. Thys has a strong, athletically proportioned body. Not only is he a switch-hitting catcher, but he is a good hitter and a very good defensive player. Better yet, Thys has strong intangibles, with leadership skills and strong field presence. He is the type of player that any team can build around. Thys is a middle of the order hitter and from the left side he has pretty easy power. The ball jumps off his bat and his swing happens with easy effort. Defensively he has strong/soft hands and is a really good receiver. Thys sits well in the crouch and is a really easy target to throw to. His feet are quick and get him in position to make strong, accurate throws, consistently around 2.0 and below. He blocks well and brings it play after play on defense. Thys is a player that a coach can pencil in the line-up everyday and know exactly what he is going to get out of him. Major D1 programs will be all over him next summer and he will also get draft consideration in 2009.
    --------------------
    Father played college baseball at Cal and played in the San Diego Padres organization ... also recruited by LSU, Virginia, UC Irvine and Oregon
    http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports...ys_joel00.html
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Thys goes to Marlins in draft
    By Todd Mordhorst Journal Sports Editor

Joel Thys’ breakout spring on the baseball diamond got even better Wednesday afternoon. The Placer High graduate was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 47th round of the Major League Baseball First-year Player Draft.

Several scouts took notice when Thys shined in the California Community College Athletic Association playoffs for Ohlone College. The catcher has long been known for his defensive skills, but he had a big postseason at the plate and that helped his cause for the draft.

“The scouts were happy with what I did behind the plate, but I started out slow with my hitting,” said Thys, who graduated from Placer in 2009 after helping the Hillmen win a Sac-Joaquin Section title. “I put up good numbers in the playoffs. I played my best against the best competition and the scouts saw that.”

Thys now faces a tough decision. As the 1,423rd player selected in the draft, he wouldn’t likely get a major signing bonus if he were to enter the Marlins’ system, but he does have an opportunity to play professional ball.

Thys is also committed to play for Sonoma State next season, where he would be a junior.

“I’m really not sure what I’m going to do,” Thys said. “It’s exciting to hear my name and kind of a relief to get drafted. It’s an honor to be drafted by the Marlins, but I’m going to weigh my options.”

Thys said he would rely on his father Greg to help him through the decision. Greg played baseball at Cal and in the San Diego Padres’ farm system.

Thys is the first player from Placer to be drafted since Andy Launier, who was selected by the Houston Astros in the 49th round of the 2006 draft. Launier played two years in the Astros’ farm system.
    http://auburnjournal.com/detail/180580.html

Comment

Working...
    X