X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 42 | Jerad Grundy | LHP | Heartland CC

Discuss.
    --------------------
    According to reports, LHP Jerad Grundy, who pitched for Miami (FL) this past season, will be transferring to Heartland CC. Grundy will be a sophomore next year, having played one year with the Hurricanes.

Grundy played his high school ball at Johnsburg, and tops out at around 91 mph. He went 2-0 with a 3.57 ERA this spring with Miami.
    http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/...65/m/313101054
    --------------------
    6'0 190

Grundy comes to the Mallards on a temporary basis after pitching the last two seasons for Heartland Community College. As a sophomore, Grundy has posted impressive career numbers, including an ERA under 3.50 and a 9-1 won-loss record. With his precision as a left-handed pitcher, Grundy has helped Heartland earn the #1 ranking in the May 23, 2001 NJCAA poll after tallying 53 team wins against nine losses. He hails from Johnsburg, Illinois.
    http://www.mallardsbaseball.com/roster-117.html
    --------------------
    Heartland Community College’s Jerad Grundy has been listed by Perfect Game USA (a pro scouting service) as a top 100 draft prospect from all junior college players eligible for the MLB 2011 draft. See the entire list here. Grundy originally signed with the University of Miami, where he spent his freshman season. He is now a sophomore at Heartland Community College and has signed with the University of Kentucky for the 2011-12 school year.
    http://cornbeltbaseball.com/?p=9903

wonder what all the transfers are about
    --------------------
    Throwing an effective slider is something Jerad Grundy says he's "always been working on."

This spring, the pitch has become a work of art for Grundy, a sophomore pitcher at Heartland Community College in Normal, Ill.

Thanks to his now-potent slider, Grundy has been a key piece of Heartland's top-notch pitching staff. Along with a 5-1 record as a starter, the Johnsburg graduate has a 3.43 ERA and 54 strikeouts in 44 2/3 innings. Opponents are hitting .210 against him.

"I've really developed my slider," said Grundy, who transferred to Heartland after playing one season at the University of Miami (Fla.). "I've been able to throw it early in counts for strikes and in 0-2 and 1-2 counts."

After not having much confidence in the slider in the past, Grundy now leans on the pitch in tough situations.

"Now, it's become something that I can put hitters away with," said Grundy, a left-hander whose fastball has hit 94 mph this season. "It's sort of become my put-away pitch."

Grundy and the Hawks have been on a roll of late, winning 19 of their last 21 games. This week, Heartland (38-8) moved into the No. 2 spot in the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II poll.

The Heartland offense, which averages 9.3 runs a game, has been boosted by Cary-Grove grad Luke Mottashed and Huntley's Nathan Sopena.

Mottashed, a sophomore catcher, is hitting .406 with five homers and 34 RBIs. Sopena, a sophomore infielder, has 20 RBIs to go along with a .271 batting average.

Grundy is part of a pitching staff with a 3.30 ERA on a team that has drawn plenty of attention. Eight Heartland players have committed to NCAA D-I schools for next season, including Grundy, who has committed to the University of Kentucky.

"First of all, it was the coaching staff," Grundy said of what drew him to Kentucky, a member of the powerful Southeastern Conference. "And they play in the best conference in the country."

Grundy also pointed to Kentucky's success in sending pitchers to pro baseball. According to Baseball-Reference.com, the Wildcats have had 11 pitchers drafted since 2006, including James Paxton, a 2009 supplemental first-round selection by the Toronto Blue Jays.

Leaving Miami, where Grundy was 2-0 with a 3.57 ERA last season as a freshman, has re-ignited interest from pro scouts.

"I just felt my career could develop faster in a different place," Grundy said. "I was the midweek starter (at Miami), so it wasn't about opportunity. I was getting opportunities."

After being drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 46th round out of high school, Grundy is certain to draw greater interest in the June draft this year.

In the short term, Grundy and his Heartland teammates would like to play on junior college baseball's biggest stage, the NJCAA World Series later this month in Enid, Okla.

"I'm just trying to do my best to help us win a national championship," Grundy said.
    http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/b...xsl=/print.xsl
    --------------------
    Jerad Grundy, Heartland Community College, P

Lefty was a 46th-round pick out of Johnsburg in 2009; could be headed to Kentucky rather than minors.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...illinois-draft
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Summer ball stats http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/...layerid=134409

Comment

Before draft was projected to go in first 4to10 rds by ALLAN SIMPSON/DAVID RAWNSLEY.

9. JERAD GRUNDY, lhp, Hancock CC (So.)
      Ex-Miami LHP went 7-2, 3.38 for nation’s top-ranked JC D-II team; FB up to 94, SL to 82; Kentucky signee.
      http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5753

Good stuff but slim chance we sign him for what he probably wants cause has been pretty awful this summer.

Comment

Grundy’s choice a win-win situation
        Comments (No comments posted)

Jerad Grundy spent June tweaking his pitching mechanics.

This month, he is planning for a baseball future that could lead to two different destinations.

Grundy, a Johnsburg graduate, enjoyed a successful sophomore season at Heartland Community College in Normal, finishing 7-3 and helping the Hawks to the NJCAA Division II World Series.

A 42nd-round draft pick by the Florida Marlins in June’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, Grundy could wind up in Florida, or he could play for Kentucky, where he has a scholarship waiting to play for the NCAA Division I Wildcats of the Southeastern Conference, by the end of the summer.

“I don’t know where I’ll be in the next six weeks,” Grundy said. “That’s what makes it so exciting. … It’s a win-win situation.”

Grundy recently completed a 30-day contract with the Madison (Wis.) Mallards of the Northwoods League, a summer league of top college players. Kentucky’s coaching staff asked Grundy to limit his innings this summer, so he is taking July off from throwing a baseball. Despite going 0-3 with Madison, he struck out 14 in 172⁄3 innings.

“I worked on some little things with my mechanics,” said Grundy, a left-hander who had success in the spring throwing a slider. “My slider is still there. I really focused on developing my changeup. I’m pitching with it now and commanding it. And every pitcher is always trying to work on fastball command, moving it inside and outside to right-handers and left-handers.”

Grundy said he plans to leave in the second week of August for Kentucky, where he will be part of a team that competes in the SEC, which had three of the final four teams (national champ South Carolina, Florida and Vanderbilt) in this summer’s College World Series.

“I’m excited about the competition,” Grundy said. “Every weekend is a team like Florida or South Carolina or Vanderbilt. That’s how you get better.”

Though the Marlins have not made a contract offer yet, Grundy said a scout from the team watched him pitch in Madison “two or three times.” MLB teams face an Aug. 15 deadline to sign players they drafted in June. If he signs with Florida, he likely would be assigned to the rookie league’s Gulf Coast Marlins, who are based in Jupiter, Fla.

“I’m definitely mentally and physically ready to start my pro career,” Grundy said. “I’m excited to play pro ball, if that’s the path I choose.”

Whitewater honors: Jacobs grad Annie Smith was honored by D-III Wisconsin-Whitewater’s women’s tennis program this spring with the Ron Wangerin Coaches Award.

Smith, a junior, finished 21-11 in singles and 23-11 in doubles this season while helping the Warhawks to the NCAA tournament for the fourth consecutive season.
        http://www.nwherald.com/2011/07/15/g...ation/ck0vkee/

Comment

Working...
        X