Clear All

• Round 38 | Joey Ceja | RHP | Marquette HS (IL) | WILL NOT SIGN

Discuss.
    --------------------
    6'4" 225, holy shit
    --------------------
    92 MPH fastball
    --------------------
    Joey Ceja is a 2011 RHP with a 6-4 225 lb. frame from Ottawa, IL who attends Marquette HS. Big strong build, physically mature. Full hand drop delivery, stays balanced and directional, downhill angle, high 3/4's release point, repeats well. Steady 91 mph fastball, touched 92 mph, maintained velocity, throws easy, FB runs well at times. Primary FB pitcher, curveball shows some depth and 11/5 shape, could tighten/speed up, occasional change was workable. Will always have velocity, probably plus in future, development of off speed very important. Good student, verbal commitment to Louisville.
    from per-fect-game.org
    --------------------
    OTTAWA -- Baseball has been a love for Joey Ceja since he was 5 years old playing catch with his dad, Jim, in their backyard.

But he may not have had as much enjoyment in a season previously as he had this spring for the Ottawa Marquette Crusaders.

Ceja led Marquette to a 31-6 record that included regional and sectional titles.

"It feels really great," Ceja says. "I had a great year."

It was only the second baseball sectional title in school history, and the Crusaders surpassed the school record for wins in a season, which was previously 29 wins in 2005.

Ceja was one of the main reasons the Crusaders had such success.

Ceja went 10-0 on the mound with a 1.08 ERA as he struck out 90 batters with 24 walks in 65 innings pitched.

"It was a good one," says Ottawa Marquette head baseball coach Todd Hopkins of Ceja's 2010 baseball season. "It was what I thought he would have as a pitcher -- hitting wise he surprised me. He hit the ball. He had big hits. ... He really did better than I anticipated, and hopefully, he can carry that over and do even better next year."

Ceja batted .451 with 56 RBIs and 34 runs. He had 10 doubles, three triples and six home runs. He walked 15 times and struck out 23 times in 122 at bats.

The hitting success even surprised Ceja.

"It was kind of a shocker," Ceja says of his hitting prowess. "Last year, I did OK. This year, it was an outstanding year. I hit great until the postseason. I was on almost every game."

Ceja's stats say he was one of the best hitters in the area this year, and his pitching stats make his contributions outside the batter's box quantifiable leading Ceja to be the 2010 NewsTribune Boys Baseball Player of the Year.

This year, he was named the best baseball player in North Central Illinois, but Hopkins is looking to next year when Ceja could be the best baseball player in the state.

He is currently ranked the No. 2 prospect in the Class of 2011.

"He's a special player that's why he's ranked second in the state," Hopkins says. "He's probably the best prospect in the state. I know how hard he throws. He's got three good pitches that he can get over whenever he wants. ... He is better than advertised."

Ceja has verbally committed to attend the University of Louisville for baseball.
    He can sign a National Letter of Intent to play at Louisville on Nov. 10.

Until then, he is bound by his word, but no one should expect Ceja to back out from his commitment to the Cardinals.

"I will definitely stay at Louisville cause they got a very good pitching coach, and I know he will get me better," Ceja says.

Roger Williams is the heralded Louisville pitching coach that Ceja looks forward to playing for in the future. Williams and the rest of the Louisville coaching staff cannot comment on Ceja until he officially signs his Letter of Intent.

Ceja says he chose Louisville over Arizona State, Illinois and South Alabama.

"It's far, but it's not far enough where it's a plane ride away," Ceja says of Louisville. "I don't want to be a plane ride away from home. I think that would be too hard for me. When we went there, the campus was amazing, and they have a great baseball team."

Ceja committed to Louisville in December, and Hopkins has been impressed with the way his ace pitcher behaved in response to the attention from committing to a Division I school.

"I think he's handled it like a professional," Hopkins says. "I really believe that he one day will be a professional, just the way his demeanor is. He's a great kid. Give his parents credit for that. If you saw him outside of baseball, you wouldn't know he was a star athlete. He doesn't act like it. He's just an everyday Joe."

He is an everyday Joe with a 94 mile-per-hour fastball.

It is one of three pitches in Ceja's arsenal along with a curveball and changeup, but it is the fastball that is his fail-safe.

Hopkins thinks the fastball can get even better.

"There is no question he is going to be throwing harder," Hopkins says of Ceja heading into his senior year. "I anticipate him throwing in the 95 or 96 (mph) range next year.
    It probably won't happen in March or April, but by the time May rolls around, he's going to be hitting that. ... There is no reason why he can't take the next step up to the 95 or 96 range."

Hopkins says it will take Ceja strengthening his core and legs to reach those upper 90s with his fastball.

Those slight improvements and Ceja could be having even more fun in a Crusader uniform next year.

"We have a good chance to get back where we were," Ceja says. "We got to pick it up from this year cause there were a lot of good seniors on this team. If we play hard and do what we're supposed to, we can do it again."
    http://www.newstrib.com/articles/spo...47DF1EA916B8E7
    --------------------
    gotta imagine he goes to college or we throw a ton of money at him
    --------------------
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ejKk-ogvE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Sounds fun.
    Christian Yelich
    LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
    12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
    100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
    .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

pay teh kid
      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

wow is right, 6'4 and 225 ? How did he last this long. That is a frame you build and work with. 92 mph FB ? Pay this man !!

Comment

MARQUETTE'S MARLIN -- Flame-throwing Ceja drafted in 38th round of MLB Draft by Florida

Tuesday was a "bummer" of a day for Joe Ceja. Wednesday made up for it a little bit, though.

Ceja, a recent Marquette Academy graduate and University of Louisville recruit, was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 38th round with the 1,153rd pick overall of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

Ceja is the first Marquette product to get drafted.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound fireballer with good mechanics didn't pitch this past spring for the Crusaders because of a bone chip in his right throwing elbow. As a junior, Ceja was dominant on the mound, going a perfect 10-0 with a save and a 1.06 earned-run average. He allowed 14 runs (10 earned) and 34 hits with 25 walks while striking out 101 batters in 66 innings pitched.

"It's pretty exciting. It definitely feels really good because of all the hard work I've been doing," said Ceja, who wasn't able to follow the draft online because he had a class, followed by a workout. He found out via text message from a friend in Chicago. "Coming out of high school, and I'm getting drafted with a bunch of college guys. It's definitely a great honor."

Although Ceja perked the interest of Marlins scout Kevin Ibach, he was surprised Florida drafted him.

"They had been in contact with me a little bit during the spring, but then a few weeks ago (Ibach) came and watched me pitch and said he really liked what he saw," said Ceja, who stated he had also been contacted by the Chicago Cubs, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Pittsburgh Pirates. "The Marlins were kind of interested in me, but I didn't think that they thought that highly of me, but they definitely did.

"When I got (Ibach's text saying they drafted me), the first thing I said was, 'Thanks for the opportunity.'"

Ceja admitted that he was expecting to be drafted Tuesday by the Cubs, his favorite team growing up.

"I was listening to the draft pretty much the whole day (Tuesday)," Ceja said. "I had a feeling the Cubs were going to draft me because they thought so highly of me, and every time it was the their turn to pick and I heard 'high school pitcher,' I got pretty excited, but then they'd say another name. So (Tuesday) was pretty much a bummer. But at least I got drafted (Wednesday), so I'm just as happy.

"Actually, I didn't even think about the draft (Wednesday) because I thought (Tuesday) was going to be the day. So I felt like it really didn't matter. But when I actually got picked, it really hit me: it did matter."

Marquette coach Todd Hopkins believes Ceja has a high ceiling.

"When you're 6-4 and you throw 90 miles per hour, and then you add in his work ethic, you're going to be successful," Hopkins said. "And his upside's unbelievable. He has the potential to throw 95 to 98 miles per hour with ease. When he throws, it's effortless. I'm sure that's what (the Marlins) are looking at."

Ceja will pitch this summer for the Orland Park-based Illinois Sparks. In fact, he'll throw an inning today in front of Marlins representatives.

Ceja will have until Aug. 15 to sign a professional contract with Florida or attend Louisville.

"(The Marlins) will be watching me all summer to see if I'm getting back to where I used to be," said Ceja, who said that he's at about 90 to 95 percent strength-wise right now. "How well I do this summer is pretty much going to tell me where I'll end up going.

"It's definitely going to be a hard decision with Louisville being such a good school ... but this is an opportunity that could maybe only come along once in a lifetime. So there's so much that I have to think about by August 15.

"Coming into high school, baseball was kind of the last thing I thought about. So, I mean, coming from not wanting to play, to getting a college scholarship, and then being fortunate enough to get drafted, it's something that's just hard to take it all in right now."
          http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottaw....php?id=433985

Seems we "might" have a decent shot at signing him.

Comment

I got the feeling he's going to college after that article.

Comment

Joey Ceja, rhp, Marquette HS. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Louisville signee was 90-92 mph in the summer and fall with a plus curve, but has since had surgery for bone chips in his elbow.
              http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5753

Comment

Won't be signing

Ceja to skip pros, go to Louisville

Monday, August 01, 2011

By Erik Hall

Joey Ceja decided he is willing to delay playing professional baseball a few more years.

“Coming out of high school and getting drafted, that is a dream come true,” Ceja said. “I could have been going to the minors and trying to get to the majors, and that’s what everyone wants to do. That’s what the ultimate goal is, but for right now, the smart decision was to go to school.”

Ceja said he decided last week to attend the University of Louisville instead of joining the Florida Marlins.

The Marlins drafted Ceja with the 12th pick in the 38th round of this year’s MLB First-Year Player Draft. Ceja, a 2011 Ottawa Marquette graduate, felt a positive reception from Marlins area scout Kevin Ibach when Ceja told him his decision.

“He understood,” Ceja said of Ibach. “He went to college so he knew what the experience was like. That’s why they picked me where they did because I was a summer watch so they knew I was a 50-50 chance of going pro or going to school. (Ibach) completely understood and was happy for me and just told me good luck.”
                http://www.newstrib.com/articles/spo...+to+Louisville

Comment

How hard is it to get teams to include a free college education into their contract?

Comment

it depends... if the kid is a true 38th rounder, prob not much of a bonus $15k

if he's a 38th rounder because it's believe he will go to college, it could be $1mil or so

Comment

Working...
                    X