• Show
Clear All

• Jacksonville: James Nygren, RHP

Discuss.
    --------------------
    6'0 195
    --------------------
    2010 Summer
    Played for the Bend Elks of the West Coast League ... Made eight appearances on the mound, all starts, and went 4-0 with a 2.25 ERA ... Struck out 26 in 44 innings.

2010 (Junior)
    Appeared in 14 games, starting one ... Was 0-0 with a 7.53 ERA in 14 1/3 innings ... Inherited 14 runners, allowing seven to score (.500) ... Went 0-0 with a 27.00 ERA in two innings in Pac-10 play ... Threw a perfect ninth against Long Beach State (3/26) ... Started and went 4.0 innings against Hawaii, getting a no decision (2/22).

2009 Summer
    Made five appearances, including three starts, for the Corvallis Knights of the West Coast League ... Went 2-0 with a 2.21 ERA in 20 1/3 innings, racking up one save and 13 strikeouts while opponents hit .211 against him.

2009 (Sophomore)
    Made 18 appearances, all in relief ... Posted a 2-0 record and 4.45 ERA in 30 1/3 innings ... Saved one game ... Struck out 17 ... Played in seven games in Pac-10 play, going 1-0 with a 4.66 ERA ... Scattered three hits and no runs in 1 2/3 innings against Arizona State (5/1) ... Went two full innings against Oregon, allowing one hit in a scoreless effort (4/28) ... Finished with his first career save after going three full innings against BYU, striking out five while allowing just one hit (4/14) ... Earned his second win of the season after going two full innings against Arizona (4/9) ... Held Oregon scoreless in a full inning of work to finish the series finale (3/29) ... Worked two full innings against Saint Mary's, allowing just a walk (3/22) ... Finished the game against Missouri State, striking out one in 1 1/3 innings (3/14) ... Picked up the win after going two innings in relief against Missouri State (3/13) ... Did not allow a run and walked two in two innings against Northern Illinois (3/1) ... Threw 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief against Tennessee (2/20).

2008 (Freshman)
    Freshman finished his first campaign with the Beavers with a 1-1 record, posting a 5.55 ERA ... Made 15 appearances and six starts, finishing with 35 2/3 innings of work ... Struck out 23 and opponents hit .246 against him ... Did not allow an earned run until his sixth appearance of the season ... Was 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in Pac-10 games ... Worked a perfect one inning in relief against USC (5/16) ... Made his last start of the season and earned a no decision after allowing eight hits and four runs in three innings against Utah Valley (5/13) ... Struck out four and scattered three hits and three runs in relief against UCLA (5/10) ... Struck out four and scattered three hits and a run in seven innings for the win against Portland (5/7) ... Worked in relief at Washington State, and walked one in 2/3 of an inning (5/3) ... Started against Gonzaga, and took a no decision after allowing four hits and three runs in 1 2/3 innings (4/29) ... Threw 2 1/3 of an inning and took the loss after allowing five hits and seven runs against California (4/5) ... Went a career-high eight full innings, scattering just four hits and a run while striking out six and allowing just two walks in a no-decision start against Washington (3/30) ... Allowed just four hits and a run in five innings in his first career start, did not get the decision against Pepperdine (3/22) ... Finished off OSU's game against Portland with a perfect ninth, striking out all three batters faced (3/4) ... Needed just six pitches to get two outs in his first collegiate appearance Feb. 24 against Arizona State.

Western Nevada
    Attended Western Nevada in the fall but transferred to OSU before spring.

Henley High School
    Lettered four years for head coach Joe Tacchini ... Earned Oregon 4A All-State Second Team honors as a pitcher in 2007 ... Named the 2006 Skyline Conference Player of the Year while at Henley High School ... Earned second-team all-state honors the same year as a utility player ... also lettered in basketball for three years and football for one.
    http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-b...n_james00.html
    --------------------
    Oregon State grabbed James Nygren’s attention with their back-to-back National Championship titles in baseball. Nygren made his transition from Henley High School to Oregon State when he joined Beaver Nation in the summer of 2009 for the Corvallis Knights. His positive attitude and passion for sports, makes for a great addition to Beaver Baseball.

How did you get into baseball?
    “I started playing baseball when I was really young and when I was 6 years old I started playing organized baseball. I love the game and its competitive nature.”

When did Oregon State start recruiting you?
    “Oregon State recruited me when I was a freshman at a junior college, Western Nevada.”

What made you choose Oregon State, what stood out to you?
    “Oregon State was and is the place to play especially if you’re from Oregon. They had just won back-to-back national championships and I wanted to come to Oregon State and play for another one. I also had a great time on my visit on the campus and met some great coaches.”

What was your first impression of Oregon State and how has that changed since you've been here?
    “Oregon State has tremendous fan support and Beaver Nation holds strong wherever we play. I was impressed with the competitive culture and how connected the community is. Neither of those things has changed since I have been here and I do not see it ever changing.”

What is it like to work with Coach Casey?
    “Coach Casey is a very competitive coach and will get his players to compete every time we get on the field. I have learned a lot from Coach Casey on the field, but also off. In the three years that I have been here I feel that I have made some tremendous strides in maturing as a student-athlete and as a person.”

Is there a particular role model/idol you look up to?
    I am amazed by what Mariano (Rivera) has been able to accomplish in the game of baseball. His work ethic and commitment to the game and his plan is unmatched. I think those things have helped him become the champion he is and I try to model some of my behaviors after his.

Do you have any pre-game rituals and, if so, what are they? Favorite meal, or a song you listen to?
    “Before the games I like to listen to rock and one song that helps me get amped for a game is, I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin. I usually always have a Subway sandwich before a game and my favorite is their Chicken Teriyaki.”

If you didn't play baseball, is there any other sport you'd want to play?
    “Growing up I played baseball and basketball ever since I can remember. I love the game of basketball and when I can I try to play a pickup game here or there.”

How important are academics to you?
    “Academics have transitioned into being an important part of my life. I have realized that baseball may not be there forever and in this day and age jobs are hard to come by. I want to insure myself with multiple opportunities to have a great and satisfying job and I know that taking academics seriously is key to that goal.”

How do you balance your time as a student-athlete?
    “Free time as a student-athlete can be hard to come by so time management is important. I like to attend my classes in the morning and in the afternoon I have practice. I usually get most of my studying done after practice with free time coming after that.”

What's been your favorite class here at Oregon State?
    “My favorite class has been Health 312 which discusses the effects of STD's and STI's in America and worldwide. Before taking this class I had heard of these diseases, but I did not know how dangerous they were. It was interesting and at times rattling and unnerving to see how potent and dangerous STD's are.”

What are you currently studying?
    “I am currently studying Exercise and Sports Science and it has been a really enjoyable experience and I have learned quite a bit from my professors and about the human body. I plan on switching my focus onto Communication as I see this as being a direction that the entire world is heading and I want to be a part of it.”

What do you plan on doing with your degree, and where do you see yourself in 10 years?
    “As of now I am unsure of what I want to do with my degree I am waiting for something to really spark my interests. Ten years from now I see myself standing on a big league mound somewhere. If that does not go to plan I see myself with a self-satisfying job and a great family.”

What do you do in your free time/hobbies?
    “I love to play golf. I picked it up in high school and I try to play whenever I can. I also love to hunt and fish and those are things my dad and I have done my entire life and I try to pick up a fish with my parents whenever I go back home.”

What's one thing a lot of people don't know about you?
    “I have been a diehard Portland Trail Blazers fan forever and they break my heart every year. I also like to think I am a great cribbage player.”

Is there anyone on the team that you are the closet with? A best friend...
    “I have made many long lasting friendships with current and old teammates. I wouldn't say that I have one best friend on the team, I would say that I have a lot of them”

If you could give one piece of advice to incoming freshmen what would it be?
    “Work hard and be open to suggestions and making changes. Also, be a sponge because there is much to learn from the coaches here, and also professors in your classes and people in the community.”
    http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-b...051310aaa.html
    --------------------
    ruh roh:

CORVALLIS -- Oregon State baseball coach Pat Casey said Wednesday that the team has suspended senior right handed pitcher James Nygren for opening weekend in Fresno, Calif. where the Beavers are slated to play four games.

Casey said Nygren was suspended for "a violation of team rules," but did not discuss further details.

The senior right-hander appeared in 14 games for Oregon State last year, finishing with a 7.53 ERA. His suspension comes at a time when OSU is already hurting for experience on the mound: The Beavers will also be missing senior pitchers Taylor Starr (still rehabbing from off-season arm surgery) and Dylan Jones (broken finger). That means pitching will fall to junior Josh Osich (2.05 ERA in 2010) and some of the many freshmen on OSU's roster.
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbea..._suspends.html
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-08-2011, 11:35 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

We only have to wait 10 years for the next Mariano Rivera!

Comment

CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State senior right-hander James Nygren was selected in the 33rd round (1,003rd overall) of the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft by Florida on Wednesday and Taylor Starr was taken in the 37th round (1,118th overall) by Cleveland, becoming the seventh and eighth current Beavers to be taken over three days.

The draft completed its 50 rounds on Wednesday.

Nygren is 8-3 this season as the Beavers prepare for their trip to the Nashville Super Regional for a series with Vanderbilt. He has thrown in 16 games, with 10 starts and has a 3.47 ERA with 55 strikeouts in 72 2/3 innings.

Nygren is the third Beaver all-time to be selected by the Marlins since the club entered the National League in 1993 and the first since Lonnie Lechelt was taken in the 21st round in 2008.
      http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-b...060811aab.html
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Signed

OSU's Nygren signs with Marlins

Oregon State senior right-handed pitcher James Nygren signed a pro contract Tuesday with the Florida Marlins, who picked him in the 33rd round of last week's Major League Baseball draft.

Nygren, a 6-foot-1, 195-pounder from Klamath Falls and a team captain, had an 8-3 record with a 3.44 ERA and 56 strikeouts.
        http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/b...cc4c002e0.html

9. JAMES NYGREN, rhp, Oregon State University (Sr.)
        Raw stuff still not back to FR form (95-96 FB then, 88-92 now), but cleaner delivery, made big strides as SR.
        http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5742
        Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

James Nygren (6-2, 4.97 ERA, 10 saves) closed a team-high 25 games for the Hoppers this season, earning all his saves before the all-star break. He's flourished in a middle relief role since then, going 4-1 in the second half and posting a 1.45 ERA in 18 2/3 innings since July 31
          http://www.news-record.com/content/2...ionship_series

Comment

Working...
          X