• Show
Clear All

• Collin Cargill, RHP

Discuss

Didn't we get LoMo in the 22nd ?

Comment

redshirt senior, turns 24 in october
      --------------------
      2011 Preseason All-American (NCBWA- Third Team)
      2011 NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List

2010 (Redshirt-Junior)
      • Preseason All-American (NCBWA - 3rd team)
      • NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List
      • First team All C-USA at relief pitcher
      • Went 4-2 with a 1.75 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 46 1/3 innings
      • Hurled at least one inning in all but one outing
      • Threw longest outing of his career of 7 2/3 versus Jacksonville State (6/5) and fanned nine while allowing just one run
      • Did not allow a run over his first five appearances spanning 6 2/3 innings
      • Had seven outings in which he fanned at least two batters
      • Only allowed six extra-base hits, all doubles

2009 (Redshirt-Sophomore)
      • Emerged as USM closer and tallied 13 saves, which ranked No. 13 nationally
      • Named to NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List
      • Appeared in 28 games working 38.0 innings, allowing only 31 hits and 15 earned runs
      • In the NCAA Atlanta Regional, he had a win and two saves in the team's three victories. He was the winner vs. No. 22 Elon (May 29) and had two saves against No. 14 Georgia Tech (5/30 & 6/1)
      • Saved both victories over No. 9 Florida (June 6 &7) in Gainesville Super Regional
      • In 19 appearances (totaling 27 innings he did not allow an earned run)
      • Did not allow an earned run in his first six outings, spanning 9.1 innings
      • Did not allow an extra base hit in his first 12 appearances of the season (16.2 innings)

2008 (Redshirt Freshman)
      • Appeared in 23 games, working 26 innings
      • Made first career appearance in the opening weekend vs. Lipscomb (Feb. 24) and earned the win
      • Made his only career start at South Alabama on May 13
      • Allowed seven extra base hits (five doubles and two HR) all season
      • Struck out a career high five batters in 2.1 innings of work at UNO (March 12th)
      • Worked a career high 4.2 innings to pick up a win at Marshall on May 3

2007 (Freshman)
      • Redshirted

At Hattiesburg High School
      • Three year starter for coach Larry Knight
      • Was 8-1 with a 1.12 ERA, striking out 101 hitters as a senior in 2006
      • Helped lead HHS to a 29-7 record and class 5A state championship in 2006
      • 2006 Class 5A State Player of the Year by the Miss. Association of Coaches
      • Two-time all-state selection by the Miss. Association of Coaches
      • Second team all-state by the Clarion Ledger
      http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/..._collin00.html
      --------------------
      Southern Miss closer Collin Cargill has been here before.

With the starter struggling to keep USM in the game early Saturday against Georgia Tech, coach Scott Berry went to the same man who's closed out games with long stints beginning with the 2009 College World Series season.

Cargill entered the game down 6-0 in the third inning with the odds stacked against any favorable outcome for the Hattiesburg native.

He threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings, giving up just three hits. It was a no-decision for Cargill in his final game as a Golden Eagle as Georgia Tech ended his team's season with a 6-2 victory at Russ Chandler Stadium in the NCAA Atlanta Regional.

Cargill left the field in the top of the ninth with obvious emotion as his teammates congratulated him on the way to the dugout.

Fellow fifth-year senior Todd McInnis was waiting for him at the bottom of the steps with a hug.

"I mean, of course I'm upset," a red-faced Cargill said after the game. "I didn't know if this was my last game or not, but going out there I wanted to give everything that I had."

Berry handed the ball to Cargill in the third inning asking a lot of the senior.

"I wanted him to hold it," Berry said. "He has been a little bit sore from Houston, the 14-inning job. I didn't want to get him in there too early and try to string him too long. I wanted to play that matchup with the lefty (Dillon Day), and it didn't work. On the same hand, I wanted to protect him a little there early. He came in there and held it there for us and we weren't able to get it done."

It's not like Cargill hasn't come through before.

He threw 7 2/3 innings in a victory over Jacksonville State in last year's tournament and twice lasted more than five innings earlier this season, getting a 4-3 win over Rhode Island in 15 innings and taking a heartbreaking 7-6 loss to Houston in 14 innings during the Conference USA Tournament just nine days ago.

Cargill played down any arm soreness he was experiencing.

"It was just sore because I threw a lot of pitches," Cargill said. "I'm OK, it's not hurting."

Cargill is a lifelong Southern Miss fan, making it that much more difficult for him to leave the program behind.

"It's going to be tough, but I know it's in good hands with the players coming back," Cargill said. "I know there's going to be leadership next year. The sky is the limit for this program with new recruits coming in and all the returning players, they're going to be right back here next year."

He did say he hopes for a chance to play baseball professionally.

Cargill's performance ended a stellar season as his ERA dropped to 0.91 with a 6-4 record and eight saves.

He ends his career as USM's all-time saves leader with 30.

"I just want to thank Coach Berry personally for giving me the opportunity to have the best five years," Cargill said. "I couldn't have had a better coach."
      http://beta.clarionledger.com/articl...time-in-career
      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-07-2011, 08:26 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Signed and assigned GCL Marlins.

Comment

promoted to AA Jacksonville

A new pitcher has been added to the Hoppers’ bullpen. Left-hander Frank Reed was promoted from Jamestown, where he was 2-1 with a 3.60 ERA in 10 games. Submarine right-hander Collin Cargill was promoted to Double-A Jacksonville.
          http://www.greensborosports.com/2012...-hitting-plan/
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
          X