Clear All

• Round 20 | Devon Reed | SS | Milford HS (DE) | NOT SIGNED

Discuss

Listed at 5'6 155lbs

Signed with College of Charleston

http://www.milfordbeacon.com/feature...-for-NCAA-play

His twitter http://twitter.com/#!/DRbechillin22LB

Comment

He's a little dude. My oldest grandson is bigger than that.

Comment

A chat with the Bucs' big-league stars

Milford, Del. —
        High-school baseball was just the beginning for Jerrell Allen and Devon Reed.

Reed and Allen have been best friends since Little League. They played on the same teams. Batted back-to-back in the Milford High School lineup. This spring, they won a Henlopen Conference title together and made first-team All-State together.

And on Tuesday, they were drafted together.

Just before 3 p.m. on June 7, the Kansas City Royals picked Allen in the 11th round of the Major League Baseball amateur draft, making him the highest-drafted player ever to come out of MHS. Just a couple of hours later, the Florida Marlins took Reed in the 20th. It’s the first time two Bucs have ever been drafted in the same year, much less the same day.

It was the climax to an incredible year for the Buccaneers baseball team. They notched the program’s best record ever at 16-2, won the Henlopen Conference and won a playoff game for just the second time in team history. Earlier this week, Allen and Reed were named first-team All-State, and Allen added to that with the highest honor a baseball player can win in Delaware — Baseball Player of the Year. And now, they can say with confidence that their careers are just beginning.

Q Tell me about the moment when you heard the pick.

Allen My friends just surrounded me, and we all just got quiet when the Royals were picking, because we knew that the Royals were very interested in me. So we were all quiet, and the next thing you know it just happened. I just put my head down and was just thanking God, because without him none of this would be real.

Reed We watched together, and after watching him all morning, watching all the rounds go by, when he was finally picked he just took a deep breath, like “it’s over with.”

Q Devon, what about you?

Reed It was just a weight off my shoulders. I’d been waiting all day, getting nervous and stressed out over when my name was going to be called, and when it happened, it was like the weight of the world came off. I knew it might be the Marlins — they’d shown a lot of interest in me.

Allen When I heard he got drafted, I raced over to his place and grabbed him up. He was so happy. It was amazing.

Q So were either of you a Royals or Marlins fan before?

Reed I was a big Yankees fan growing up.

Allen And I was the Red Sox. I guess it’s the Royals now, though.

Q A lot of high-schoolers get drafted but turn it down to go to college. Have you decided where you’re headed?

Allen Yes. I already had it in my mind that if I got drafted, I was going to sign. It was just a matter of what round.

Reed I signed with the College of Charleston, so I have to take this all in and weigh my options. I’m going to see what will benefit me and my family best and make my decision.
        http://www.milfordbeacon.com/feature...g-league-stars

Comment

Working...
        X